Can Tensor Tympani Spasms Damage the Inner Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      So, I have known that the functioning of my TT muscles in both ears has been aberrant for at least the past 2 years, and it has definitively contributed to hyperacusis, and sometimes other things. I have had a few cases of them 'jumping' in response to loud noises, and they also go off whenever I yawn, burp, or hiccup.

What has been happening in my case, is that any of the above occurrences most always result in some level of hearing loss and soreness in the ears after these events, especially after hiccups (low frequency hearing got a bad hit). That hearing loss seldom comes back to prior levels, and I almost wonder if the spasms could be exerting pressure on my inner ears, or taking advantage of some weakness where the stapes connects with the inner ear (aka possibly a fistula).

Anyone have ideas on the relation between the middle ear muscles and the functioning of the inner ear, or whether they could alternatively simply be causing conductive forms of hearing loss?

Thank you for the help and insight! It is greatly needed right now..

• Like Like x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Anything that could be impeding a free moving ossicular chain could cause conductive hearing loss indeed, but you should be able to see that cleary on your audiograms if that were the case for you.

3. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I'm taking Baclofen for ear spasms. It's seems to help a little.

4. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Is it the spasms that are generating your T, you think?