Can Tinnitus Be Cured? What Is Going to End Up Being the Cure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Erlend, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I know how exciting it is to see all of this research and possible treatments on the horizon, but do you think a real treatment/cure is on the horizon? Or are we just so desperate that we force ourselves to believe? Even though I have been doing much better since my T onset, I feel like I can speak for all of us when I say that silence would be incredible! Thanks!

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Please read this thread I moved your message into. It's got great information and thoughts by several people. I really think we have a good chance of having effective treatments within 3-10 years, but I don't want to use such a strong word as *cure*.

As has been said many times, there likely won't be a magic pill / treatment that takes care of all tinnitus. Instead, we're going to have different kinds of treatments that help different sub-groups of sufferers.

The brain is still not very well understood. There are countless neurological diseases with no effective treatments / cures yet. It's a slow process, but now things do look more brighter for tinnitus than ever before.

Fingers crossed... I wish sometime in the near future I (and all of us) get to fall asleep and live our lives without the incessant noise in the ears. Or at least it being dialed down to a lower level.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Thanks a lot @Markku. I must've skimmed over this thread. Fingers crossed on this end as well.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Back in April 2013, Thomas Meyer contacted me with the following (I did forward the info to the forums):

Hello,
      I have been reading some of the most recent posts about our company and the AM-101 project. I appreciate your member's interest and comments. There is however one piece of information that is not correct: in all of our clinical trials so far we had a 3 month time window corresponding to the definition of acute tinnitus - it was never 6 months, and hence never narrowed down to 3 months. Since we did not see a decrease in therapeutic effect towards the end of the 3 month time window (which is based on a somewhat arbitrary cut-off... but the line has to be drawn somewhere), we are planning to test AM-101 in one of our forthcoming phase III trials in the post-acute stage up to 12 months.
      I would appreciate if you could share this information with your members.

Kind regards,

Thomas Meyer
      Founder and Managing Director
      Auris Medical

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I wish I could react with Like, Optimistic, Hug and Smile and Creepy Evil Smile all at once! :)

Yeyey don't get your hopes up blablabla, sometimes I need a reason to be optimistic even if it doesn't lead to anything.

But 100% realistically, rationally, and non-wishful-thinking: This might work for people who have had T for a long time? I got it after noise which seems to be what it's primarily aiming to help.

7. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      And he went on to say after I replied to him:

Thank you for posting it – and for the encouragement. It is sometimes difficult for chronic tinnitus sufferers to understand and accept our particular development strategy… but the field is full of trial and error studies that failed because it was attempted to treat all kinds of tinnitus, acute and chronic, and all kinds of aetiologies in one go. So we need to go step by step – in the end we want to have something that works and is approvable. From there we can expand. And we are already doing research on the next generation treatment… Lidocaine shows that tinnitus can be modulated pharmacologically, but the compound is far from ideal. We will get better treatments. It just takes a lot of time and efforts to get there. But we will get this done.

Thomas seems to be a great fella with a great mind -- I wish he had time to be around here! :)

8. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Well, they did not see a decrease in the effect towards the end of the 3-month window. That's positive, right?

They're soon starting the next phase of trials and we'll know more after that.

I'm hopeful it might also work for those who've had tinnitus for a year or more.

I'm not expecting for the tinnitus to go away completely, but I'd be more than happy with a significant decrease of the tinnitus loudness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I wonder if we can invest? If I get cured AND rich, Tinnitus would be the best thing that ever happened to me

10. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Heh, that would be interesting.

We've had a thread here about whether one would rather win the lotto jackpot or be cured of their tinnitus.

Nobody came up with the idea of being both cured and becoming rich.

Regarding your question though, I'm not sure. You could send an email to Thomas and ask. He's very prompt at replying back. They secured over 50M in Series C financing this year.

-M

11. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Imagine AM101 works very well and most of us get relief from noise induced tinnitus, would you be more prompt to go to loud places and listen to crazy volume music ? :)

Or would you keep the same lifestyle and take care of your hearing ?

12. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I would not be so scared to go to louder places anymore but if I would ever again go to a club or concert I would still be wearing ear plugs.And I would only go, if my tinnitus was completely cured.. What I wonder is if the Hyperacusis would go with the tinnitus

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      No but I never really liked that anyways so it's no loss. And that's why it's so bitter that I got it too. I went to ONE of those busses, it was enough.

I've never even been to a concert.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      It said somewhere that AM101 will also protect from future T, so let's hope it's not like we're goung to ruin what it (maybe )does for after 1 year

15. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Ma
      Maybe that was exactly our problem. We never went much to loud stuff like parties,clubs or concerts before and then one time was enough for us. Other people in our age go clubbing at least once a week and never experience tinnitus..

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Maybe... If I was more involved in that culture I'd also know that you NEED ear plugs on these busses

Here's the bus where I got T

3035501237.jpg

17. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I wonder how this is even allowed, the bus is just so little space and if it is packed with speakers and the music is played with 110 db ( which it probably is..) no wonder it ruins your ears. Even with ear plugs it's probably dangerous as hell ... Btw I thought that they hand out foam plugs in Scandinavia?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Hattukoira
      Tired

Hattukoira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      My story is similar. I've never been any loud concerts or anything, except one time and that was enough to cause my T...

I think my hearing was better than average before my T. Maybe that's the reason my hearing was damaged so easily.

19. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe i've been to 100 or more concerts but wore earplugs every time, i've seen plenty of amazing bands live but from the first concert i went to in the late 90's, most of the time i thought was it was painfully loud ... the mix was horrible, couldn't hear a damn thing... the earplugs rendered the shows OK but never like WOW this is crystal clear sound (ok maybe the gossip sounded pretty good ;))

But i'm quite bitter that maybe 90% never wear earplugs and still don't get tinnitus, that's quite puzzling. Usually it's people who make fun at you when you have earplugs who don't have it lol !

If AM101 works, i don't think i'll be going too much to concerts anymore, they are always too loud and i don't see that changing... in switzerland though it's 93db max, that's quite good imo

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I went a concert once that maybe woul've given me T, but they handed out foam ear plugs.¨

So I've been to ONCE concert, only because I got free tickets, and it sucked balls. (skrillex lol)

I've seen both Louis CK and Ricky Gervais live tough, I enjoy stand up live more than music live

21. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      But that's a good thing I must admit - here really NOONE ever wears earplugs to concerts or in clubs, as stupid as it sounds but when I went to the concert I didn't even know that foamies would be an option because no one uses them and I never saw someone using them, I basically didn't know they existed. And of course they are never handed out..

22. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Was your tinnitus noise induced?
      You are right, there are people who go to concerts all the time and never get tinnitus I wonder how that works.mostly the same ones that listen to their iPod on highest volume all day long.

23. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yes i think so, i'm a musician and an old amp "farted" in my left ear when i was EQing it in April 2013, i was just next to it, before i had 1 barotrauma from being sucked up in a wave while surfing and had a loud feedback from a rehearsal around 2010, both didn't cause permanent tinnitus but this last one is lasting quite long ...

what about yours ?

24. RamblingMan86
      Spaced

RamblingMan86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2007
      I've recently read an article that stated more than 40% of combat veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from noise induced tinnitus and it is one of the main problems that our veterans suffer from. The pentagon puts in more than a billion dollars worth of research each year to find a treatment for it.

It's good to know the government is backing up tinnitus research. It tends to be a trigger of PTSD fora lot of veterans who suffer from it.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      If the iraq war leads to a tinnitus cure... Thank you Mr Bush haha

• Funny Funny x 1
    26. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma

yes as I said, one time concert with bad acoustic (sounded really bad) and only tissue paper in my ears and that was it.... the Tinnitus never stopped since then.

27. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      That Thomas Meyer guy seems like a real good dude, glad he is heading the AM-101 thing and it's awesome that he's made an effort to communicate with us. Really hope the post-acute trials are successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Well I think I have found out what the 200 t researchers mean when they say they will find a cure in the near future. If the distant future is 100 to 1000 years.
      Then the neear future could be 12 to 60 years

29. Dan Turner
      Transparent

Dan Turner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One day....some easy fix will appear....just not today.<G

The politicians need to work with the scientists to come up with the cause....environmental, mechanical, pharmaceutical, etc., and out law it before the populations are over run with tinnitus sufferers.

Actually overrun with treatments that are either brought about by good or bad intentions...but don't do anything more than drain the wallet.

30. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Neurological conditions -- and that is what chronic tinnitus is, a brain disorder, not an ear disorder -- are hard to treat and hard to cure. Just look at how long they have been working on the same for Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, etc.

I think we soon will have better treatments that will help us turn down the volume, make us notice our tinnitus less, etc. But I think a complete cure is a long ways off. Not only because we are dealing with the brain but because of the complications Dan mentions above: politics, approval process, limited interest, limited research funding. Just my opinion.

That is why I choose to spend my time and energy focusing on managing my tinnitus -- and already there are many things that can help us -- rather than getting all worked up about when we will see a cure.