Can Tinnitus Come and Go?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Mar 20, 2018.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I’ve had Tinnitus for 5 months.

Last August I woke up with ringing in the ears, went to a doctor, she said I had fluid in my ear and prescribed nose spray. I used it everyday for a while and the Tinnitus went away. I don’t know for how long It had lasted, it went away somewhere between When it started in August to November.

By November I woke up with the ringing again, this time it hasn’t gone away.

Just wondering if tinnitus can do that?

Tinnitus is definitely confusing because you don’t know what has caused it most of the time! I don’t know if fluid is the cause of mine, but having it constant for 5 months I wouldn’t think so?

The first few months have been extremely rough, could not sleep without a TV going, had to take a month off from work just to learn how to cope with it.

I’m learning though, I’m back at work, working 40 hours a week, and now I don’t have to have a TV going at night, I can go to sleep with my sound.

I have no hearing loss and all tests have came back good!

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Unfortunately there is no test that can attest that one has no hearing loss. There is such thing as "hidden hearing loss". As the name implies, it's not visible on audiograms (which is what audiologists deliver after a hearing test).
      So you may ace the hearing test, and still have hearing loss (look up Charles Liberman's work).

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay I have heard of hidden hearing loss.
      The ENT told me I could even hear whispers. I hope it’s not because of hearing loss, but with tinnitus you never know.