Can Tinnitus Get Better, Then Worse, Then Better?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Falconfox, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      2 months in, after the first month it got better and settled, 3 weeks ago a new tone came in in my right ear which was until then mostly quiet, that didn't really concern me too bad since I was at the time feeling better, though now it seems to have slowly ramped up and is scaring the crap out of me. I'm really hoping that this will settle down too but it's of course scary. Doesn't help that two days ago I had a short spike that really put the fear of the future in me. Has anyone had experience with this?

2. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have.

Got T a bit more than a year ago. First it was horrible, then it got better, then worse again. Not it'a actually at a level where I expect to be able to live it down.

Catiously protect your ears from further damage, avoid any medication that can be ototoxix (if you don't know what that is, you might want to check it up), do silly things that is supposedly good for your health (take walks in the nature, eat berries, train yoga etcetera), pray and wait. Your chances to land on your feets must, accordingly to my real life experience, be above zero.

And by the way. Protect your ears from further damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Yes, it can be a rollercoaster

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Can Tinnitus Get Better, Then Worse, Then Better?

Yes, can even happen during a single day, or multiple times in a day.

5. AnnieM
      Stressed

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PROBABLY long term exposure to the sound of motors/blowers
      Absolutely. If there's one constant with my T it's that there is no constant. It spikes, it relaxes, noises change...in my case all the novelty has made habituation a whole lot of frustration but never boring :/

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Just what I have been thinking about most of the day. I am really new to this and a month ago I didn't even know what Tinnitus was. And then,about 4 weeks ago without warning,my right ear began its phantom wail. No meds involved as I didn't take any, probably a little accumulated noise over the years but my hearing test results were within normal parameters except that my right ear had some low frequency loss. Have dealt with stress and anxiety in my life...but have always managed to get on with life and was actually feeling more upbeat when the T hit me. Since that time I have had some remission time too...about once ..maybe twice in a week. For example last Friday evening my ear suddenly started to feel quieter ( after 6 days of intense severe T ) . Woke up Saturday and all day it was either tolerable or I didn't notice it much at all.

Woke up rather early Sunday morning... and heard nothing but sublime,delightful quiet !! I even got up and went outside to savour the still morning. Honestly felt as if I was on the mend...and instantly my mood,disposition became more positive again. My body felt relaxed and I was so thankful that things might be getting better!......Sadly it did not last and by 10AM the T started becoming intrusive again.

No matter how positive my attitude was, or taking part in happy actions like taking my doggie out for a long walk...the bloody T comes back...darn it !!

And today it's been really overwhelming.

Being rather new to this it is really difficult to know what is going to happen next.

Hopefully there will be another remission...hopefully for longer

Wish I could wave a magic wand and help everyone else out there suffering with this miserable thing !

8. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hey there @Garye , if you've already experienced some honest to goodness silence in the first month, that's a very good sign. Despite what you read on the Internet, tinnitus actually DOES go away for some people. And guess what? The majority of the time, they're not posting on the Internet, especially on here. If my T ever goes away, while I will certainly chime in to let everyone here know, I certainly won't be hanging around this forum all the time. That may sound negative and selfish, but with T such a terrible thing, hanging around this forum would almost be like hanging around the scene of a terrible accident, ya know?

9. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      lol....Thank you for that !!! and your right about the fact that most people who go into remission probably don't stick around.....totally understandable.
      And if mine does go away or gets more tolerable I will definitely let folks here know the good news....and then probably would not stick around either, not intentionally leave....I think it would just be natural to try to forget something so troubling.

But in the meantime ...hang in there all lol

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Anything is possible. Mine can change 5 times within one day quute radically so..