Can Tinnitus Really Go Away or Is It a Myth?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MickV, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      @leledany any notible hearing loss from you trauma?

2. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Standard audiograms up to 8 KHz are normal

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      Someone asked me if i damaged my ears. I went to audilogist and i do not have damage to my eardrum. I have only slight down hearing in my left ear- dropped to 30 db. I did it 10 days after the incedent when the T was super loud and painful to take... maybe the results of the hearing exam could be different this time since my T is a lot queiter ? Maybe it showed acoutic hearing? And i am back to normal?

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      My new T is somatic and high pitched. I'm on my 6th year of dilated cardiomyopathy with no pain. The life spam for this is 5 to 10 years. I also have central nerve disease.

Question: My doctor wants me on Carvedilol or Propranolol. Both are listed as being very ototoxic. Has anyone used them? Thanks

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You seem to be recovering much faster than many people here who have experienced their T fading. Your T ought to continue to fade and you might even hear silence before you get to celebrate 6 months after onset.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      I really hope so Bill.
      My audigram showed left side dropped hearing to 30 db. I still hear the dentist/electrical sound and whistling in my front head. But comparing to the start... a big progress...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      I hope Uni of Michigan has something BIG for us soon that it will go to the market. More details 1/19 as far as i understood. I hope this will put an END to our suffer and it will be just as simple as to take a pill for fever and goodbye T. I believe in our abilty of sceince but i hope they really speed up fast!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello, Greg

I didn't see this post until now.

I am sorry to hear that you have to deal with serious illness on top of your loud tinnitus...

I don't see Carvedilol (and its brand name Coreg) listed on
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf

According to
      https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/coreg/ototoxicity/
      only 2 people in the past 20 years had complained to the FDA about this drug causing ototoxicity.

In the past 20 years, only 125 people reported getting T as a side effect of this drug.
      https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/coreg/tinnitus/

Propranolol=inderal IS listed in
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf

In the past 20 years, 81 people had reported to the FDA that T was a side effect of this drug for them.
      https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/inderal/tinnitus/

At the same time, it appears that the FDA doesn't have any record of ototoxicity being a side effect of this drug.

It seems to me that those drugs are not particularly ototoxic. There is probably a high chance that you will be ok if you take those drugs. You might try to start with a small dosage and then gradually increase it until in a month or so you reach the recommended dosage...

• Informative Informative x 2
    9. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I have days when my noise is almost gone, but it always gets reset to loud levels when I awaken from a nap or in the morning. I think it was from a airplane barotrauma in my left ear in 2008. ENT's say HF hearing loss caused tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      My T faded a lot suddenly almost 3 years ago. I had total remission of some trebly sounds in my head. It became only audible in quiet rooms.

Now its back in full force cause Im stupid. Some ENT told me ear plugs are safe. Wrong! T is with me again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully you will be able to recover the second time around...

@jjflyman also got it a second time, and his has been fading albeit very slowly.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Thanks Bill. I feel hopeless this time but nobody knows...

• Like Like x 1
    13. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      will it go away ? Anything is possible with tinnitus.
      After just over 2 years of being suddenly and inexplicably afflicted by T in my right ear
      and consequently learning about others in similar situation, I have realized that T can be likened to snowflakes.
      All snowflakes are perceived as white to our eyes and are cold.
      However,under a microscope snowflakes are different in shape and size.
      We all share a common symptom, ie weird noise in our heads yet we all have our own special idiosyncrasies.
      Personally there are times where I become more hopeful .
      This is because my particular form of T has no base line,it is either a loud high pitched frequency or it recedes to a point where the world starts to feel normal again and all the muscles in my neck and shoulders spontaneously begin to relax. More often than not I will know first thing when I wake up what type of day it will be although there are times in the day where it is as if something has thrown a breaker switch in my brain and the frequency is shut down. Noisy days can last for a week or two days,I never know.Diet vitamins etc. seem to have no affect..it has a will of it's own. Habituation is so difficult because it is either really loud or really quiet...never a real base line.
      And a couple of weeks ago I thought again that I had turned the corner...three quiet days,followed by two noisy days,and then four good days. By the third day I could not believe how much I started to feel like my old self again.
      Hope springs eternal and I have had periodic remissions ...maybe one day that breaker switch will hold !
      A rather long winded way of saying there is a definite maybe chance of remission.
      p.s today is the 6th noisy day in a row for me and as usual trying to cope with it but still hoping for at least a temporary reprieve. Cheers All

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Emelie

Emelie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (stress, tooth infection, medication, TMJ?)
      I had T for about 7 months back in 2006-2007. It was (probably) caused by stress and muscle tensions in my neck and jaw. Now, 11 years later, my T is back. It started with an infection in my wisdom tooth. I'm 4 months in.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my success story from 2007.

Best wishes from Sweden

• Like Like x 4
    15. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I tend to think this depends on what you call "tinnitus". Right now, my ears have a (very) faint electrical buzz/hiss. Honestly, had I never had severe tinnitus that lasted nearly a year - I'd probably think nothing of it, not even realize what it was. It's not bothering me. I'm habituated to this faint sound and just go about my life. That said - since I know what it is, I'll always be more aware of it than someone that never lived through severe T.

Truth is, I had it at this level for years and just didn't care. I said a year ago if it got back to this level I'd consider myself cured. Most adults have some level of T if they live in cities. Most wouldn't tell you they have tinnitus.

16. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I have read several accounts of people and soldiers have T go away after gunshots and mortars going off as well. Some had it for two years and another for over a year. Surely the had some hearing loss as well.

17. reeax

reeax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      muscular neck issues
      Sure thing, it DOES go away for most people.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't know if this is "going away" but my tinnitus just took a very bizzare evolution. I stretched my jaw and had a loud crack. Ever since, it's very hard to hear with earplugs in. It's still reactive though.

19. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks I'm glad you think so. I can still hear it without earplugs because it's still reactive. It's just much quieter with earplugs now, which is still a great change.

20. Lulu99

Lulu99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but I think because ETD
      my friend i meat her in summer 2017 she told me she have tinnitus asked her do you still have it? she said yes didn`t go away idid go to the dr he gave pills for my T but i din`t use them

i saw her view days ago asked do you still have tinnitus she told me NO I DON`T have it any more suddnely i don`t hear it at all so i asked when the first you realize you have T ? she said before a year or so along time
      she told me my T it comes and goes away its been a month or two she`s tinnitus free

• Like Like x 3
    21. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Even if it does go away it won't undo the hearing loss and distortion that ruins all my favorite music

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      @Emelie hi is there anything you did in 2007 to help your T go away?

23. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      How is your tinnitus now, any updates?

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It seems to improve but very slowly. Still experiencing 4 days good and 4 very bad. In bad days the annoyance is 7 point to 10 and good day is half. Very strange my case.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Well, in my experience no. But if your permanently at a 2/3 on your scale. That's pretty solid. Usually that type of noise damage is unfortunately permanent.. I had mine blown at a show as kid, wasn't aware of ear plugs. I always keep them on to keep it a manageable level for me. It works.

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The fact that it has been improving is a great sign. There is no reason why it shouldn't continue to fade (provided you don't experience any more acoustic traumas).

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      I hear these days vibrations in my ears ...does any have that?? ;(

28. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Sometimes I get feelings that reminds me of something being physically there or vibrating.

Btw. Reading through this thread gave me good hope of the possibility of my T at least fading back to the baseline. Thank you. Somewhat less despair.

• Like Like x 1