Can Tinnitus Really Go Away or Is It a Myth?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MickV, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      Hello all,

Can tinnitus really go away? No crickets, no birds whistling, no shhssh sound.... no dentist drilling sound, no refrigerator sound, no habituation. Quiet, completely quiet? Can it really happen to wake up one morning and say - it is gone, I hear silence?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      According to the multiple studies listed in the thread below, for a significant fraction of T sufferers, the answer to your question is Yes.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/

According to one of the links you can find in one of my posts in the thread below, T is considered chronic only two years after onset.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...itus-recently-this-info-will-be-useful.25741/
      However, if your T keeps fading over those two years, there is no reason for it to not continue to fade.

Having said all of the above, I never heard of loud T just turning off. For people for whom it fades, it fades very gradually at a glacial pace.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Tinnitus is not predictable. It may go away or it may not. No one can guarantee anything, when it comes to tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Yes indeed. It can happen. I am enjoying complete silence after six months of on and off but continuous hissing.

• Like Like x 8
    6. Kingdawson

Kingdawson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yes it can. I had it in my left ear (although it was quite mild) for months and now I can hear silence.

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      So here is my story... A reason to beleive it will go away?
      I went to a rock concert on 11/2017.
      I was on at the front row for 3 hours.
      No ear protection.
      I thought these ringing will go away after couple of days. Just as when you come back home from a club.
      However, i felt after a week that i cannot hear well. I felt dizzy and tilted. My panic mode grow and went on the night then a crazy ringing started both of my ears and i could not go to sleep. I took an advil and my dizzyness went away after two days but my high screaming ringing not. It was very loud that i could hear it during a conversation and t.v. Watching.
      I broke my stress with crying and i noticed every morning that this high pitch is decreasing slowly. Every morning i noticed an improvement. After 2 weeks from the incedent my high pitch went away and i remaind with t.v. hassh sound both of my ears. It was loud as well. But after couple of days that sound also we t away. A month after the incedent i remained with cricket/electrical/refrigrator sound constant for a month. Now that i am getting close to my 2 months after my incedent. The cricket sound is not there any more and i remain with bird whistling/ and a sound of electrical ish sound of shhsh sound. I would say on the scale of noise it is 2/3 out of 10.
      Is this a good sign of getting rid of this T or is it the level of my constant T permanent ?

• Like Like x 2
    8. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I think it can, though I think some people have more reason to be hopeful than others. I was under the impression that if you have permanent hearing loss (that shows up on an audiogram) it is very unlikely. Maybe I am wrong so correct me if I am.. Anyway, in my case, I refuse to wait for that miracle (it’s been too long) as it’s just delaying, dare I say it ‘habituation’

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Yes. 12 years ago I had HORRIBLE screaming T from acoustic trauma, and it faded to zero in 2 years. I now have T again from a concert, and it has faded over 80% in 15 months and is still slowly improving.

• Like Like x 7
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      IMO it is a great sign that it is showing improvement. Protect your ears from loud noise for a while, and give it time. It may take a year or more, but hopefully it will fade to zero. No more earbuds or rock concerts tho

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, you are correct. Not all cases of tinnitus are the same. If your ears are damaged and your hearing is damaged, then tinnitus may become a constant reality. Now some have great hearing/not much ear damage and tinnitus comes out of nowhere, these folks could possibly recover and have less intensity with their tinnitus or it can possibly go away.

Tinnitus is not predictable at all, but some cases might be more hopeful than others...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Philippe79 - I’m nearly 4 years in to my severe chronic Tinnitus, caused by one inconsiderate musician playing far too loud and too close.

I went stone deaf on my left side for 48 hours, and also experienced loud (hissing + crickets) “T.”
      My hearing came back, but was damaged.
      My Tinnitus continued.

Audiologist and ENT hold up the placard of “Habituation” which I have always been sceptical of.
      Has the Holy Grail ever been found?
      Depends on your perception, and who you choose to believe.
      But they always talk of habituation, and I know why.
      When people are in despair, the crucial thing is to give them some Hope. We all need hope.
      Speaking of habituation is clearly the right thing to do.
      But at the end of the day, is habituation largely ‘hype?’

My noise has not, to my perception, decreased.
      But I have learnt a lot, and come a long way.
      I have learnt a bit about forgiveness, though I sometimes have to work on that a bit more.
      I have learnt that you do not have to live ‘inside’ your Tinnitus.
      You can live ‘alongside’ it.
      Much better.
      I no longer dread waking up to “T.”
      I expect it to be there.
      I no longer pray to God (whose existence can not be substantiated anyway) to take it away.
      I no longer despair.
      I have got more and more used to it.
      Habituation?........I don’t know?

Despair is now out of the window.
      Toleration is now in place.

Jazzer.

• Like Like x 5
    13. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Pop concerts are ok then?

14. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My man you nailed it. Don't dread knowing, that the noise will be there. Make it your friend and not your enemy, it really goes a long way.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @fishbone - you are one of the top guys that helped me to reach this place.
      I won’t forget you mate,
      Best......
      Jazzer x

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      @Jazzer It seems to me, in very recent times, you have become very positive about your tinnitus. It is very nice to hear and may inspire others, including myself:) It’s true, for some, habituation is all we have, just sitting there waiting for a miracle is only going to prolong the agony. I’ve had my T for 2.5 years and I don’t think i’m that far off it. Will I know for sure when i’m there? because i’ve thought i’ve been there before. Just so many ups and downs, i’ve lost count, but i do feel now i’m getting closer. It’s just getting over that final hurdle! I agree about @fishbone, a true tinnitus legend and a top bloke;-)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Philippe79 - thanks for your continued support, much appreciated.
      As I was saying - for people with noise induced “T” which apparently is nearly all of us, or by far the highest proportion, the big “H” might be a myth. I simply don’t know.
      However, short of that, we can become better and better at ‘toleration’ and getting on with our lives, and ‘doing stuff’ keeping busy etc....

Agreed re: fishbone - who I believe has suffered more than most of us, but is always “Up Beat.”
      That guy is a flag bearer.....

18. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Tinnitus is no joke, many people are greatly suffering.

19. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      After two months since I got my T, I can honestly say I can see some improvement (finally). It used to be 5-7/10, now it's usually 3-4, and it's been like this for week or so. If it goes like this then hopefully in another two months time I can share my success story with you. Fingers crossed, I'll keep you updated.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      When I first got subjective/somatic tinnitus over seven years ago, it was unbearable.
      I had to resign from employment.
      I would be up all night looking at this board.
      After about two years, I decided not to read the word tinnitus and started a hobby of buying graded baseball cards to make a seasonal set. I then got back into investment research from home. Two more years later (total of 4 years since onset) my T had dropped to a 6 from a 10. At that time I hardly ever thought about my T. I accepted it and had no fear and flight. I did use noise protection when really needed.

My new T is somatic and high pitched. I'm on my 6th year of dilated cardiomyopathy with no pain. The life spam for this is 5 to 10 years. I also have central nerve disease. I don't know what to say next.

• Hug Hug x 4
    21. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I first laughed at the question, but it’s actually a valid question. Heavy metal concerts are known to be very loud, but are all concerts the same? Is an Adele concert the same volume as Metallica? What about a folk singer? Or going to see an orchestra concert?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    22. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Well you said rock concerts which makes me think only bands with distorted guitars are dangerous for people with t? Maybe be a bit clearer in future..

23. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm still waiting. Still waiting...

24. Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I don’t know if he meant it as a joke, though he certainly should have elaborated. As it turns out, it appears @Tinker Bell has elaborated for him and made some interesting points.....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    25. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Maybe I took it wrong. If it was not meant I apologize.

26. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I don't think that is true about hearing loss and not going away....many concert goers have it in the high regions and it does...also my ent told me he has seen it happen with some of his patients with measurable loss. Same thing for sshl patients have it go sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    27. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      How many people have you heard of that their cancer just disappears after doctors say that it's not going to happen...I know if one personally. Also They said my sister in-law had MS...guess what, they were wrong about that also. There are a lot of people that were around gunfire and explosions that lost hearing and then one day couldn't hear their t anymore. There is a book about T(forgot the name but i'll find it and post) and the author tells about how he got his from a negligent discharge from .357 in his car. Had bad T for 8 years...left the movie theater one day and while driving realized it was gone. His hearing was wrecked and it happened. Unfortunately 4 years later he fell off a ladder and did brain damage and it claim back although not as bad.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I think the person I quoted should have been more precise no?

29. Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      Perhaps. Though I really don’t know if he deliberately didn’t mention pop concerts for a reason and still don’t. Though, on the other hand I wouldn’t expect him to list everything (go through every type of concert). But now the question has been asked, it would be nice to get an answer!

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      T can go from severe condition to be mild without doing absolutely nothing. It is happening to me and I am 1 yr and half in, hoping it will go from mild to silence in the next :)
      Mine was caused by loud noise

• Like Like x 1