Can Tinnitus Spikes Subside After Months?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jibran, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ear protection used correctly and with prudence can be beneficial and help one in the recovery process with tinnitus and hyperacusis. Over protection or used too freqently will instil negative thinking - lowering the loudness threshold of the auditory system making it more sensitive to sound, and will ultimately make a person's tinnitus and hyperacusis worse. In addition to this, one risks developing other problems such as: phonophobia and misophonia. as mentioned in my post in the link below.

Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I dont wear earplugs unless I go to a loud place. I was at a festival a few months ago. Otherwise when I am outside or in resturant I dont wear earplugs, unless it is really loud!
      This is a complex disease, we need to educate people on the danger of loud noise.

3. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed, tinnitus and hyperacusis are complex and for this reason, when giving advice on the subject of wearing ear protection, one has to be careful how they do this. Someone can unknowingly make their symptoms a lot worse by overusing hearing protection.

Michael

4. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree but we also need to educate on the dangers of ear tests and potential hearing damage from them.

5. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Just when I think things are moving up a little bit Michael something comes along and knocks me back.

Since Thursday last week I've had this rapid beep in my left ear and I've no idea why it's started and it's the first thing I hear when I wake up and it's gripping me in panic.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I do not agree with you that "ear tests" conducted correctly at ENT are dangerous. This is not say there aren't any risks involved, but this is no different from any medical procedure or test that is carried out.

I believe if you had your way, then you'd ban every test that is essential to determine whether a person's auditory system is functioning correctly and to find out the cause of their tinnitus. I have had many hearing tests over the 23 years that I have had tinnitus and never had a problem.

Michael

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are going to get ups and downs Allen for this is part and parcel of dealing with tinnitus. Success doesn't come easily but can be achieved with patience, resilience and resolve. It can push us to the limit but stay focused and don't give up. With time you will overcome these set-backs and grow with new found strength, to face whatever comes your way. Life circumstances tests us and without them we will not reach our full potential or be the best that we can. I am not saying it is a prerequisite to have trouble and strive but life is problematic and very few people escape problems of some sort.

Please be assured things will improve but if you allow negative thinking to take hold, it does make a difficult situation harder. Have a talk with your GP and I suggest getting something to help with your moods so you don't become too down. If you have a printer then I suggest you print the articles in my links. I can send them to you in PDF format if you wish, just PM me with your email address.

All the best
      Michael

8. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm already on Venlaxafine 125mg Michael after upping it from 75mg. There's another thread about Effexor, the same drug I'm on now, wondering if it is related to that?

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When I was going through a difficult time with tinnitus I took Sertraline and it helped a lot. I haven't taken Venlaxfine nor Effexor. My advice to you is not to "read" about medication or talk about any that you are currently on in forums, as there will always be someone to say it makes tinnitus worse and this is often not the case.

My blood pressure medicine: Amlodipine is listed as "can cause ringing in the ears" I have been taken it for quite some time and noticed no increase in my tinnitus. Please do not talk about your medication or any treatment that you will be having at ENT, as negative comments from certain individuals will make your recovery more difficult.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Out of curiosity how hard were you hit? I was hit a while ago on the side of my face by accident and my T immediately spiked and it lasted for 2-3 weeks before going back down. It wasn't even a very hard slap or so it seemed at the time.

11. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Sometimes tinnitus can disappear after several years, so everything's possible :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Good morning, Michael. Thank-you for these words, they are what I needed to hear this morning. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is a pleasure to hear from you @emmalee and thank you for your kind comments....

Michael

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear tests damaged my inner hair cells. Audiologist said it was not a good idea as we who have NIHL have more fragile ears and are prone to damage.
      I have mild hearing loss in noisy areas, something I never had before, after the tests my T is remarkebly higher. I am 110% sure I have damaged a lot of hair cells in the cochlea. My ENT, he says it is unlikely but not impossible that the ear tests could do damage.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You may indeed have some hearing loss caused by the caloric test that you often mention you had. However, I believe a lot of your problems are caused by stress, anxiety, negative thinking and the belief your future is one of impending doom and gloom. With this highly volatile mix of pure negativity, it is no wonder you are the way that you are - I mean no disrespect, for I have corresponded and counselled people that have a similar mindset.

Yesterday you mentioned in the forum that hyperacusis cannot be cured and someone challenged you, saying this is not the case. You in turn apologised. I once had very severe hyperacusis and it was completely cured using white noise generators as part of TRT. It has remained cured for 22 years.

Michael

16. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      and this is why my dear friend people who have H and T should refrain from doing these tests, they are not safe for us. I strongly encourage you to advise people on the risks, as your voice is heard more than mine is. Many people, if not all who have done ECOG, CVEMP, Acoustic Reflex, Ear Irrigation, etc have had their T or H get worse. You and I both know that the tests are deeply damaging.

Of course I am very afraid of my future, I believed the doctors were doing the right thing. In the end I end up with Severe T because they stuck a 90db sound in my ear for a minute and blew water into my ear dreams. I hoped they helped me not hurt me so badly.

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have never had the caloric test and it is unfortunate what happened to you. The abbreviations that you have written I do not know what tests they refer to.

I have had a full range of hearing tests including Tympanometry many times over the 23 years that I've had tinnitus and never had a problem. I have had ear irrigation 3 times and microsuction the same. I have never had a problem. I have always applied ear-oil 3 times a day to each ear for 10 days before having wax removed. Based on my experiences above, I will not be advising people not to have hearing tests because I think they are necessary. A build-up of earwax needs to be removed otherwise problems will result. Providing correct procedures are carried out using ear-oil as mentioned above, I think most people will not have a problem. I would advise they get the wax removed at their GP surgery or a hospital and not a walk-in clinic on the street.

Michael

• Hug Hug x 1