Can Ultrasound Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathalie, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey everyone.

I had this weird thing happen to me a month ago after getting ultrasound therapy on the TMJ area and ear tragus.

I was wondering whether therapeutic ultrasound can damage the inner ear structures or cause hearing loss with this kind of body contact if it is applied on the tragus and where the temporomandibular joint is.

The area felt very painful, a deep sharp pain, I was told it was the inflamed nerve. Maybe it was because of the heat.

Can it reach the inner ear? I was told it won't, although you can never be sure right?

My therapist is a very experienced one, although something sure happened during that procedure to my auditory system because

I feel like sounds have been muffled and tinnitus ever since. It is a reactive tinnitus which reacts to sounds and also a high frequency buzzing in my right ear. Tinnitus is in both ears, only the buzzing in one ear.

Has anyone gotten similar ultrasound therapy procedure done?

Share your knowledge please. I am devastated. Is this even possible that ear damage can occur?

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Hi. I don't have an answer for you, but I too believe that ultrasound affected my T once. I had regular ultrasonography to look at my organs last summer and I am convinced that my T spiked a little bit that day or week. It was however not permanent. I thought it was strange because my T is usually not reactive.

3. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      I had cataract operation using ultra sound and my Tinnitus has reached the top ,and i have not been the same person since then.Mind you that happened about a week-10 days after,unless it started then and has been gradually increased.My doctors say it is due to stress but I am not 100% convinced.Before I had it done I asked the opinion of 4 Ent doctors and they all said ultra sound cannot damage my ears.I wish I never made that decision.because I could have my eye done 2 or 3 years later.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Had lots of ultrasound last week to my body and ears no worse.
      Love glynis

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      No.

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Old thread, but my doctor wanted to do an ultrasound on my neck, just behind the base of my skull and half way down my neck. I know the ultrasound is a much higher frequency and should be fine, but the close proximity to my ears makes me wonder a bit more.

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Alue I had recently mentioned that I had 5 ultrasounds on my neck at different times in the last year or so. I had no problem - in fact my tinnitus temporarily lowered and no spiking later on. You can use earplugs or noise blocking headphones. The exam isn't loud, not much more than a whisper.

8. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I had ultrasound on my neck once to relax those tensed neck muscles and I could hear the static sounds in my ears in sync with the movement of the ultrasound wand on my neck. I wonder what that was.

9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Greg. I don't even think the test is 100% necessary, but if it's non invasive and won't make my tinnitus worse I guess I'll go through with it.

Being that it would start at the base of the skull, I'm not sure how much noise blocking headphones would help as most of it comes through bone conduction. Earplugs may give the occlusion effect, although I'm not sure how much that happens with ultra high frequencies. I wonder what decibel level medical ultrasounds operate at.

10. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The effect of 40 kHz ultrasonic noise exposure on human hearing.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Article: Public Exposure to Airborne Ultrasound and Very High Frequency Sound.

Attached as PDF.

12. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Have anyone any knowledge about the possible noise emission from induction cooktops in frequencies higher than what one can hear, and whether these could be a risk?

Anyone know about a reasonable priced microphone/setup that can pick up also ultrasound frequencies? Ordinary microphones go up to 20kHz i guess...