Can Vitamin D Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have been taking Vitamin D per doc Rx and have been reading that it can cause ringing in ears as side effect.
      Magnesium being low, anyone with any knowledge?
      Thanks

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Please share with us where you read that. The body itself synthesizes Vit D in the skin when exposed to sun. As far as I know, there is no known relation between sun exposure (or taking Vit D in pill form) & tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    4. John G

John G Guest

I started taking D3 1000iu on a doctor's advice to counter SAD (seasonal affective disorder). It seemed to help but within a week or two I noticed quite strong tinnitus in my right ear. No idea if connected or coincidence but thought I'd mention it. Last D3 was two days ago and I can still hear it; I'll stay off it and see if it goes away.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Doing a search I find that many people have reported ringing after taking Vitamin D. I was on 50,000 once a week when my T began.
      I was on this mega dose for over a year!! Seems most people only stay on for 5 weeks. Have always wondered if this was the cause. Have been off the vitamin D for over a year and now need to go back on, levels are low. Afraid it cause my T to increase.
      Anyone gave any experience with taking Vitamin D?
      I remember taking a dose at bedtime and woke up to T!!
      Co-incidence or cause?

6. inadmin

inadmin Member

At my inital checkup the ENT gave me tests for vitamins D1 and b12. When i asked what for, he said that low levels could contribute to the condition.

7. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I take between 5000 - 10000 iu D3 daily and it has no effect on my tinnitus at all.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      This is interesting. I thought my T was caused by dental work, but I went on vitamin D (D-3 1000) about the same time. Last week, because of a medical procedure, I had to stop all meds including vitamins for 5 days before the procedure. My T has been quite a bit lower this week and I'm wondering if it's because I'm not taking the vitamin D. I'm going to stay off it for awhile and see what happens. Thanks.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      So hard to know, don't want anything to get worse.
      Doc says it can not cause T.
      Tell that to the people saying they took D and now have T:)

10. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Leah, I just got a report that my vitamin D is low and Dr wants me to start taking a high dose for 3 months and them but some over the counter. My T can come and go at the drop of a hat. I do keep a log of my T. I know some here say not to keep a log, but I do for the purpose of being able to see if there is a difference in T pattern because I am on so many meds, and have other medical issues. I do have muscle weakness which is one of the symptoms of low D. I am going to start D on Monday. My report reads mine is 5mg/ml. Normal D is 25-80 mg/ml. So we shall see. I'll post back what happens. I did google vitamin D deficiency & tinnitus and some results said a vitamin D deficiency could cause T. Then other results said vitamin D pills could cause T. Oh well, not surprised with the google results ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I take 1000iU D3 daily and no effect on tinnitus

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for posting!!!Sorry Gary, good luck please keep me posted. How much were you prescribed? Asian what brand are you taking?
      There are some topical Vitamin D creams that help with defiency, wondering if it matters how the vitamin D is taken?

13. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      A couple of years ago, in the desperate search for someone to help my *wind-whoosh* T. I went to a Naturopathic MD. who was the only Dr. who did complete blood-work. Vit.D was extremely low (I already had T), plus some other factors, and low hormones. As synthetic hormone are known to be bad in causing cancer, she educated me of "Women International" (www.womensinternational.com) to order their natural hormone compounds which they make specifically for your needs. (Link there for Pets as well). The Vit B family also supposedly aids in T health (neurologically). Many specific vitamins cannot be taken together - but separately.

Vit. D supplements has be a good quality brand, not those 2 for 1 cheapies you get at Walgreens (it's tempting but they're a lower grade, possibly mixed with add'tl fillers). WholeFoods, Trader Joes. brand called "Doctor's Best" VitD3 5000Iu and take it with other fats (e.g. avocodo). Usually one starts at a high dosage(10,000 iu), then tapers down after about 3wks to lower daily regime. It can be dangerous to consistently ingest high amounts of any Vit/drugs for too long. (You can double-check your level by bloodwork again after a few months). Unfort. Vitamins did/do nothing for my T (but still take them) because my T evolved to a different form, from an Otoneuro. drilling my whole mastoid bone out and the round window to insert electrodes into the cochlea (Cochlear Implant), which in turn made things 20x worse -24 hrs. I also lost ALL my hearing which vitamins of course cannot regrow bone, tissue or cilia hairs.

• Genius Genius x 1
    14. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've been taking 1000iu of D3 twice a day for more than a year and have not experienced any change in my T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Do a google on 'Easy immune system health/ringing in ears after taking vitamin D'. It explains that if Vitamin D causes tinnitus it is not the vitamin D that causes it (yeah I know!) but a lack of magnesium because magnesium is needed for the body to absorb D. Anyway I obviously can't explain it very well but the site does so don't stop taking it if your ears ring more, just make sure you're getting plenty of magnesium.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Leah, Dr. office called in a script for the D pills and I did not ask what dosage, I have not picked them up yet. Nurse that called said it was a high dosage though, to be taken for 3 months, then after that I see Dr. She said Dr will have me take an over the counter D after the prescription D's are finished up.

• Winner Winner x 1
    17. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Beth, I read the same thing, but I did not know how to explain it as good as you did, so I did not even try.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks Beth, I will definitely try taking some magnesium first and then start the D. Gary you doing any magnesium?
      Thanks everyone for helping, really appreciated .

19. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Not yet Leah, I don't know what my mag levels are. I will have my mag checked when I go back to Dr.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have never had mine checked, but know plenty of people on the boards take it to help with T.

21. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I will seek out my pharmacist and ask him his opinion when I pick up the D pills. I'll ask him about D pills causing low mag. He is pretty sharp and up on every drug I ever asked him about. If he says a little a little extra mag won't hurt, I'll give it a try and tell my Dr when I go back and see him, or just call him next week, and have him give me a script to get a blood test for my magnesium.

Leah, do you eat any foods with magnesium in them?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Good question Gary, apparently not. I looked up magnesium rich foods and not a lot on the list is in my diet. Yikes!

23. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Remember how unpredictable is? Well, I was given a script for a new med, vitamin-D Friday. I decided to wait until Monday to start because I have other script's to pick up and they won't be ready until then.

My T has been some what mild the last few days, today I woke up with it screaming. Now, If I had started the D on Friday or Saturday and posted my that along with the loud T today, a lot of people would think there was a link. I am would even have had 2nd thoughts about vitamin D, thinking it caused the spike.

I am sure there is a moral in here somewhere....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Thanks Leah, I'll tale a look at that list.

Leah I remember when you first came here, you like the rest of us when we first got t had a hard time. Are you handling T any better now.

Did a quick search, between the nuts, seeds, and yogurt I eat daily it looks like I am good...

25. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @Leah my T and H have gotten very severe since december ..my T keeps going up in volume i think its my severe H making it worse.. i havent left my house in 3 months well maybe a couple only cause i had to.My T goes haywire if i hear anything outside, different tones and shap pain with headaches, i havent been taking vitamin D or magnesium ..i doubt thats whats making my symptoms worse but would it somewhat help ? someone also told me they got a bad spike after taking vitamin D not sure if its related though..

• Hug Hug x 2
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I am learning acceptance, some days are easier than others.
      Took a Mindfullness class and practicing some meditation.
      I Am done searching for cause and cure, but still pray that a cure comes about.
      So kind of you to remember. I have not been on boards as much because I find myself getting back to old habits. such as well maybe I should try this or that.
      Researching the vitamin D because somehow I wonder if I was taking too much for too long. And you, how are you coping?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Geo, some people say that magnesium helps with sleep and lower T.
      If you search the boards there is a lot of good information.
      When it spikes it is hell, hope yours calms down.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I am so happy for you, you sure have come a long way. Yes, I remember you well because you were really going through a rough patch. You are right, acceptance makes it so much easier and gives you a better outlook. Mindfulness is a great tool.

Me, I am doing fine with T it's the physical medical issues I have to deal with now, can't really get those out of my mind like T. I wish it was that easy, but as they say " Wishing does no make it so" I be OK though, I have been through worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Guess if you take too much of it, it could cause it.

30. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Symptoms of Vitamin D Toxicity
      Excessive amounts of vitamin D in the body can cause calcium levels in the blood to rise. This can lead to a condition called hypercalcemia (too much calcium in your blood), which can cause a variety of symptoms, including:

• fatigue
      • loss of appetite
      • weight loss
      • excessive thirst
      • excessive urination
      • dehydration
      • constipation
      • irritability, nervousness
      • ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
      • muscle weakness

• Agree Agree x 1