Can Vitamin D Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, Sep 8, 2013.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks Danny Boy...

2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      No problem. So my advice is, make sure to stick to the recommended dosage for vitamin d and you'll be ok.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Yes I got a really bad spike after taking vitamin D but I had a check and was found to be really low in magnesium and was told that t after taking vitamin D is a sign that you're low in D but probably lower in magnesium. The magnesium helps your body to absorb D which it cannot do without it therefore most people need both and spikes will not happen if you have enough mag. Read the site I recommended, it explains it better than I can. I take v high dosage of both now and I'm OK with it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Will do thanks. Every doc I talk to about it says nope, no way .
      Glad for everyone here and their knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I did a little more reading regarding magnesium. In my case I have heart disease, am a diabetic, and I am in stage 3 chronic kidney disease. I read with each of the these medical issues, extra magnesium should be taken only under a Dr supervision. I don't want to ruin my kidneys any more that what they already are. I have decided to go ahead and take the vitamin-D and see how I feel, if I have any symptoms or a big increase in T I will ask the Dr for a simple blood test before taking magnesium. I think in my situation this is the most prudent thing to do....

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Of course, always check before taking anything that may make any other health concern worse. Take care of yourself.

7. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Leah, I am glad I did that extra reading, my kidneys are shot, I don't want to damage them any more.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      That's very serious, hope they don't get any worse.

9. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Thank you for the kind words..

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Just get sunlight and you should get enough vit D .

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Not many sunny days here, but do try and get out during daytime hours.

12. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Leah, if you are concerned about low mag, after taking D for 12 weeks ask your Dr to give you another blood test for D & Mag. That's what I am going to do when I see him in 12 weeks.

13. Howdy

Howdy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014

14. Howdy

Howdy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      It stopped after I stopped the vitamin d 3 10000iu

15. Howdy

Howdy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Wow I did lose weight, started having tinnitus and muscle spasms to where I had to see a chiro all for what a freaking Vitamin

16. Howdy

Howdy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      I feel better not taking it and getting natural sun

17. Howdy

Howdy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Took me months to see results maybe 6months after I stopped vitamins d 3 IU 10000... I get natural sunlight now

18. Howdy

Howdy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      I'm almost certain the vitamin d 3 10000 IU caused my tinnitus took 6 'months to go away and this was the most natural kind I took

19. Howdy

Howdy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      My tinnitus was caused by vitamin d310000 and it took months to subside and I hardly notice it and feel better, but j make sure to get natural sublight

20. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Lets put it this way - if you don't get enough vitamin D for example during winters in the northern hemisphere, you can get all sorts of physiological and mental issues including depression, that can most certainly affect your T. And during the summers, the body makes vitamin D from sun light. So to summarize, vitamin D is safe and recommended even in large doses, but just don't go crazy on the supplements.

21. Zwraven

Zwraven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Auditory Nerve Damage
      Vit D has the same effect on me increased tinnitus. I have tried it several times in isolation, with and without magnesium. No difference, after a few days it's bad. It also messes with my sleep. Thyroid and Parathyroid are fine. Vit D is really a steroid. I just do much better without it, but my levels are in the basement. Hoping a Rheumatologist I see in November at Cleveland Clinic may have some insight. I will post a follow up then.

22. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      This is incredibly interesting, as my recent spike that happened that 4 days ago came after I've started taking supplements a week prior to this, not loud noise exposure... Hmmm....

Well, I'm only taking them because I wasn't sure I've been getting enough and I bought the cheapo Walgreens ones too :)

I'll stop taking them as of tomorrow and see what happens in a couple weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Vitamin D3 2000 iu update. I started taking it about 4 months ago and T Seemed worse, but you know how that goes, sometimes T just gets worse on it's own so I thought nothing of. I do have an in crease with T when ever I have to take steroids.

Well, after the 4 months T was not letting up like it used to. I would have 60% bad days and 40% good day's before taking D, after 4 months it was like 95% bad and 5% good day's. I did some reading right here on TT and found out D has steroids in it, so I quit them on 9-6-16 it's been 2.5 week now and my T is getting back to the 60%-40% so far. Will see how it goes over the next 4 months, to early to say for sure if the D was raising my T.

Those you you who have had T for awhile know how it goes with T and trying to see what makes it worse or better. It can take a long time to know for sure what is causing what.

24. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      Sorry to revive an old thread, just wanted to pipe in and say I just took magnesium, b12 and vitamin d supplement and there was a very noticeable spike. Did a quick search and found this thread. I guess just another anecdotal experience of vitamin d MAYBE causing a spike!

25. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I take high dose vitamin D regularly and it has no effect on my tinnitus. In fact my T existed before I ever started taking vitamin D. For me it's a good supplement. So is magnesium. Your mileage may vary.

26. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      For me it made T worse, T spiked everyday for over a month. The next day after I stopped it T was at least back to how it was, around 40% of the time I had decent days. We all can react different to other things. Things like caffeine, lack of sleep do not affect the T I have at all.

27. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      I had a blood test which showed I was low in Vit D. I take a high dose in winter and lower in summer. I've just come back from two weeks in Florida, I forgot to take any supplements with me and didn't bother buying any as I was getting the benefit of plenty of sunshine. I have been on a lower dose since getting home on Sunday, no difference in my T with any of these scenarios. Whilst I was away I read an article (Daily Mail online.........so it must be true :)) that suggested the need for Vit D supplements has been over exaggerated so I'm in two minds whether to go back on a high dose.

28. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Low levels of vitamin D make it difficult for your body to heal. I heavily doubt it would make tinnitus worse and that most anecdotal reports fail to parse correlation and causation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    29. Eddy OP

Eddy OP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I appreciate reading everyone's input and comments. I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV. I've had T since October 2016 and in my case, I believe there is a link between T and nutrition and supplementation/imbalances of vitamin/minerals.

I have been taking fish oil that contains extra vitamin D. Stopped taking it for a few days and my T has subsided to a very low level (at times unoticeable). So here's my theory (and it's just that at this point):

Just read Symptoms of Vitamin D Toxicity (Danny Boy, April 5, 2015) which is what I had been thinking about as well, and wonder if in this case tinnitus is more related to hypercalcemia (excessive calcium in the blood) and tissue calcification than to excessive vitamin D intake.

Meaning that if someone has too much calcium in their system (in the form of calcification) then they vitamin D may make T worse because it releases more calcium from tissues in the bloodstream. If that's the case, it may explain why some T sufferers can take vitamin D and not show any worsening of their T and others do.

Similarly, I wonder if a calcium-rich diet or taking calcium supplements makes T worse-- regardless of whether vitamin D is taken or not and if cutting down on calcium-rich diet or stopping calcium supplements would improve T?

My understanding is that vitamin D (along with vitamin C, E, Omega 3 and MSM) helps "decalcify" the body. If that's the case, the decalcification that vitamin D provides (in people who have such condition) may cause higher levels of calcium in the bloodstream.

Has anyone notice a flare up of T after consuming calcium supplements or eating foods high in calcium?

30. Eddy OP

Eddy OP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Check out this article: "
      "People are taking too much vitamin D: Here's why that's bad"
      https://uk.style.yahoo.com/people-taking-much-vitamin-d-heres-thats-bad-2-080604230.html
      Excerpt:

"
      Vitamin D is important for bone health, but can cause abnormally high levels of calcium in the blood, soft tissue, or blood vessels if taken above the upper limit of 4,000 IU a day. Currently, the recommended dietary allowance for vitamin D is 600 IU daily for adults under the age of 70 and 800 IU for those over 70.

JAMA[/a], researchers analysed data from 39,243 people who participated in the nationally representative National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and looked at the trends of those who had a daily supplemental vitamin D intake of 1,000 IU or more, as well as those to took 4,000 IU or more, from 1999 through 2014.

The study’s researchers found that more than 18 percent of people studied took 1,000 IU or more of vitamin D from 2013 to 2014, which is a dramatic uptick from the 0.3 percent who did the same thing between 1999 and 2000. Not only that, 3.2 percent of people studied took 4,000 IU or more of vitamin D a day between 2013 and 2014, which puts them at serious risk of health problems."
      --End of excerpt (copyright Yahoo.com)

This article refers to people who take $4,000 IU or more. Could it be possible that people who already have an excess of calcium in the blood, soft tissue and/or blood vessels, may react to lower doses of vitamin D supplementation and cause them to release calcium (in the blood, soft tissue and blood vessels) at lower level of vitamin D intake?

This speaks to the vitamin D-calcium relationship, which may explain that some people's tinnitus gets worse. High vitamin D= High Calcium= High Tinnitus. Possible?

Aside from vitamin D as a possible trigger of T, I am interested to hear about the effect of calcium supplementation on T. Anyone on this forum experiencing an uptick of their T with intake of calcium supplements or ingestion of calcium-rich foods?

• Useful Useful x 1