Can You Relate to Tinnitus Getting Louder When You Bit Down?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jordann, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Jordann

Jordann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Some nice advice is welcome.
      Tinnitus since 2011. I've had many tests done and I'm healthy. No loud music. I'm young in my 20s.
      Both ears ring, I can't focus at work. The harder I bit down the LOUDER the ringing gets. Any idea why? Does yours tinnitus get louder when you bit down?

I'm searching for answers and I hope I've come to the right place.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Your jaw joint is right by your inner ear and pressure on that joint and muscles can make tinnitus spike so try to avoid it if just experimenting..lots of love glynis

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      When theres aloss of external input to the brain .. the somatic nerves try to compensate ..

Dr susan shore in michigan is studying ways to help somatic tinnitus

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jordann

Jordann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Thank you for your responses! I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed when I have enough money. Hopefully it'll help relax pressure on my jaw. I don't know if it will help my tinnitus but at this point I need to believe something will. I'm in denial that it's permanent since tinnitus started in 2011. I fear I will be in denial until I try every possible solution...

5. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      A lot of people can alter the pitch when clinching down the jaw or move it. I always been able to do that as well.
      It never made it worse just the moment i clinch down it gets mega high pitched and loud.

Never bothered me though. Ibdo notice it more again since i am in a struggle right now. But not the last 3 years with t.

In my case i checked out my jaw but nothing wrong with it.

6. MichaelO
      Angelic

MichaelO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Fearing that you will be in denial has another name... HOPE. And yes, I can make the pitch increase by clenching down. Does this indicate what is causing my tinnitus?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jordann

Jordann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Thank you for that information :) it's good to see someone is doing something to help.
      So I'm not alone. As far as it indicating why it causes tinnitus I don't know. I really wish I did. Somatic tinnitus? Research that. I just learned about it.

8. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      Yes

9. Jeff N

Jeff N Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      erythromycin?
      i recently acquired tinnitus.

for what it's worth... i've always had a tinnitus-like noise while i clench my jaw. i wonder if there is an increased susceptibility for people who had that clench-ringing in their natural wiring.

10. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Sorry that this is a long overdue reply.

Oh yes. My T spikes and I get muffled hearing from doing that, plus muscle spasms all around my head and even migraines. Not fun.

The TMJ joint is very close to the inner ear, and that is why when people clench or grind their teeth they can develop tinnitus just because of all the shared innervation and sheer pressure from the bite near the inner/ middle ear structures.

I hope that you had success in getting rid of this problem with your wisdom teeth out and with the TMJ treatment!