Can't Decide What I Want to Do with My Life

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Taylorslay, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      So I'm nearing the end of highschool and then I go off to College/University probably in the next year. I simply don't know what I want to do with my life. In lines with a career. Obviously most people don't but the problem is, I'm not particularly passionate about anything. Fine with anything and everything as long as it pays well.

What about you guys, do you know what career path you want to go on? Or if you've already chosen then how did you go about doing so?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      This was how i used to be, and i think to an extent...lots of young adults feel this way. Just heading to my freshman year...going to career search courses...they are often jam packed with kids just not knowing what they really want.

For me personally (and just my opinion), high school didn't instill a lot of passion in various arts...everything felt linear and uninteresting. The teachers felt like drones just there to recite the same tired lines, the kids around me were uninterested...bored, not passionate about the topics...there was no "gusto" to anything. It wasn't until i was an adult in college that i learned to be passionate about various things.

I think it just takes time, you will have to be vigilant though and do a lot of research...I partied too much in college and that was a mistake. One of the best advice i got was when my brother quoted a line from Lord of the Rings lol: "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you". You are young and beautiful, and time will fly by quick...make the most of it =]

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      It's fine to go into college without knowing what you want to do.

After doing a range of required electives you should be able to have an idea what you like and don't like.

4. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      I would say, do what you think would be best for you. I mean choose a career that seems easy to do, the line of doctors or dentists is a money making line but the road to that journey is pretty hard. If you are into computers go for languages. I myself am a graphics designer. I mean I never wanted to do a boring job all my life, I have my own business now and it's all going good ... just go where your heart tells you ...

5. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I think you would be a great middle school English teacher, I wish I had a better English teacher I know, I would write better on this site. Also, special education in the US is a nice field. Which I think both fields would be better with your tinnitus/hyperacusis. I've seen your writing, you have it. I have one son graduated from college, one son junior in college, and a daughter in HS.

• Like Like x 1
    6. streeter1985
      Studious

streeter1985 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss (stress + virus activation)
      I also did not know what to do so I think thats normal. I wanted to go to a "University of Applied Sciences" and study Industrial Design its like a University in my country just with school system (classroom, smaller group of people, perfect timetable etc) but I had to go to the military so I was not able to meet the deadlines and I had to wait one year for the next matriculate phase. So what should I do? Wait a year? No, so I went to the Technical University started Computer Science and somehow I finished it.

After a few years working I found a study that I can finish beside my work (on the weekend) and so I got my second university degree in Economic Computer Science. Of course I already had a lot of courses! Now I can say I have finished school with 31 :)

My parents always wanted me to study Pharmacy and I also tried it. You can be sure that you feel it if someting isnt right for you. I dont say Computer Science was easy to learn there are lots of topics like technical math etc thats really boring stuff and nothing is easy at University but I learned Pharmacy with the same amount and engagement but it didnt work I just was not interested in any of those topics. I would have failed and would have lost a lot of time. It was good that I was able to compare my Computer Science courses with my Pharmacy courses and what I felt. I made a decision for myself and just finished it!

I really hated the military for taking away my chance to go for Industrial Design but it was fate. It opened my mind for something different.

7. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I have always known that I wanted to be a physiotherapist as my main goal in life is to take people's pain away, it's what makes me happy, making others feel better. While I was still at school I decided to do some work experience and knew the job was for me, I'm now in my third year and can't wait to graduate next year and get my physio job.

Think about what job you soulw like to do and get some volunteer work experience and then you can see if it's right for you before going through Uni ect.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
      • Winner Winner x 2