Can't Let Go

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rock123, May 21, 2017.

1. Rock123

Rock123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello

I've had tinnitus for 2 months and I am eagerly hoping for this "habituation" soon however it's impossible for me to let go and ignore it. I constantly think about it even when I try to do hobbies. This is killing my life very fast and am quickly out of options

Are there any tricks or something I am not aware of?

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I'm sorry that you feel so bad. It is normal to feel this way, trust me. Tinnitus is no fun and its odd to hear noises that only we can hear. At first, it can be very hard, not having pure silence is an odd thing. In time, things can get better, slowly. Just relax and distract yourself from this sound.

This board will support you, you are not alone. All of us deal with this all day long, stay strong...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I lay down and as I type to you, my tinnitus is beyond INSANE in both ears and if i focused on it, it would be very ugly. I treat my tinnitus as a friend and not fight it. It's hard to do, but that's life buddy....

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk @Rock123
      Try keep relaxing music on around you to keep you calm and help mask the sound.
      Keep away from really loud sound and protect your ears around extra loud sound.
      Have your hearing checked and ears.
      Tinnitus can cause Anxiety and depression so if you find your feeling low most of the time pop in see your doctor.
      Keep posting for support as we are here around the clock.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You can try playing nature sounds in all of the rooms where you spend a lot of time...

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rock123

Rock123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just don't understand how this came to be. My whole life was going well up until this thing popped out some weeks ago. I am still very healthy outside of T (other than a depression). I never went to concerts or parties or that stuff.

I have a theory that I've had T for years but since I never actually stopped to "notice" it or "learn" about it then it was just dormant and I never detected it.

But since it's impossible to "un-learn" something then I am screwed for the next 50 years? I think not...

7. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I'm 38 with unmaskable t. I'm not gonna lie I am a bit depressed and it is hard, but fishbone and glynis are right and they have loud t to. We will "unlearn it" as they did and other people have. They are vets, we are not. But we will be and we will be just fine my friend.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      If you are similar to me you probably already spent ungodly amount of hours researching everything on net, trying to find some cure, trying to find any way to get rid of it. That way you focused on T even more. Ie were throwing your habituation progress out of the window.

You need to stop fighting it. Few tips - you probably are constantly checking your T by inputing fingers in your ears to hear it properly. Cut it. Stop it. Do not do it anymore. Just prohibit yourself from ever doing it. No good will come from it, nothing that can help you. Try magnesium, it helps with muscle tensions and eases tension inside you. 8 hours sleep. Every day, period. Dont care how difficult it is, dont go to sleep at 4 am when you are waking up at 7.

And this is tip that 70 yo doctor gave me. Your brain isnt used to this sound. It perceives it as a threat and that triggers gajillion of processes inside your body, making it all worse. Spiking anxiety, triggering flight-or-fight effect and all that jazz. You need to rewire your brain so it wouldnt perceive it as a threat. Nature sounds are good in this. Experiment with sounds, you have app at mobile phone called White Sound with many different sounds and ability to download even further on. Find some that soothes you. For many its sound of water, but whatever works for you, and have it on when you go to sleep, but at a volume that is below your T. You dont want to mask it, you want to create association in your brain with sound that relaxes you. At the end of the day, however, what it mostly takes is simply time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1