Suggestions Chapter 6: Sleep and Relaxation

Discussion in 'Collaboration Space' started by Tinnitus Talk, May 31, 2016.

1. Suggestions for Chapter 6: Sleep and Relaxation

Put all of your suggestions, comments and ideas in here and we'll update the guide as we go.

The guide can be found here Tinnitus Help: The Guide

The content that goes in the guide will be for everyone. Please consider that this is for people from many different cultures and belief systems - don't be offended if there are certain things that don't make it in :)

2. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Same recommendations as in Emotion and Reaction. Relaxation exercises really help. I finally slept after I started practicing every night. I tried sleep meds but they only helped for two or three hours. Getting the body to relax naturally is very important.

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Lavender on your pillow will help relax you and help you sleep.
      Sound therapy
      A warm relaxing bath
      A warm milky drink
      Reduce alcohol
      Regular bedtime routine
      Keep off computers etc two hours before bedtime.
      Read a book
      Download free relax and sleep apps
      Minimize stress
      If have reacuring thoughts write them down to off load them and forget about them to help sleep.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      Yep. See chapter 4.

And I agree with Glynis.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    6. John Duck

John Duck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      If you try everything that all the books say and you still can't sleep because the noise of tinnitus is so loud....

Try what I did...I discussed a LONG TERM sleeping medication with my Doctor...I was put on an anti-anxiety pill and an anti-depressant ( small doses ) which I took at night.
      IT WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD SLEEP...
      It helped immensely. I was on the medications for 3 years and weaned myself off during the 4th year and have been drug-free ever since.
      I have noticed no side effects whatsoever and was grateful the medication could help.
      I did not want to start the medication ( who does ).............. But.....
      Do I want to drive around with my family in the car on no sleep.?..Answering that question made my choice easy...

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Have Sex.

It works for me. :bag:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Bronte

Bronte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2006
      A very warm shower that focuses on the sides of the neck - which in turn relax the muscles around the ears - tends to help me. And yes, try to keep away from stressful situations. Relaxing is key.

Oh, two more things...I found that after having a massage (which focused on the neck and upper back area) , the T was much quieter for the next couple of days. I'm thinking that perhaps the blood circulation may have something to do with it.
      I also avoid Chinese restaurants now. The last couple of occasions left my T roaring. I'm thinking the MSG played a part (or was the main culprit!). I've since switched to Thai, with no after-effects. You can't go wrong with a clean & healthy stir-fry.

Ciao for now,
      Bronte, Sydney

• Like Like x 1
    10. Joao Rio
      Amazed

Joao Rio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 25th 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Inflamation?? Eustachian Tube Disorder? Cervical Injury?
      1. I have found that mindfulness meditation has helped me a lot. It took me about 4 months of 5 to 10 minutes of guided meditation before bed. I believe it helped me deal with my anxiety which in turn enabled me to fall asleep better.

I try to do it just by myself, and fail often, it is easier to start with guided meditation. that are a number of smartphone apps with lots of free content, before deciding to spend any money.

2. Routine. Classic insomnia advice is to have a routine, go to bed at plan to wake up at constant times, don't expose yourself to artificial light such as TV, smartphone games, etc, before going to sleep.

3. Don't eat at least 2 to 3 hours before going to bed. For example, I eat at 20h00 and go to bed at 23h00. I found that this way your metabolism will be less active.

4. Physical exercise is of course a great way to get tired and hence easier to fall asleep.