Chat to an Audiologist

Discussion in 'Support' started by carlover, Jul 15, 2013.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      With an NHS audiologist today.On talking to her she reckoned 80% of her patients with High Freq loss have tinnitus................so what about the other 20% ?????? why ,why why havent these got It?????

If only we knew.:(

2. Alxtan
      Approved

Alxtan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/2013
      My audiologist said the same thing to me yesterday. I was asking the same question. Oh why couldn't we have all fallen into the 20% segment of this?

My ENT said that in his 35 years of practice 90% of people will habituate. "I can't explain why: the brain stem just learns to tune it out."

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      That's very encouraging! Did he say how long it normally takes for someone to habituate?

4. Alxtan
      Approved

Alxtan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/2013
      He told me that I would habituate in about 3 months.

From reading posts online I notice that it usually takes longer for some to habituate. I'm scared that I'm one of those since I tend to dwell on things so much.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Lets nail this habituation on the head right now.It really winds me up.On forums you see people saying things like "I use my mental power to overcome the noise and im habituated" stuff like that.As though the people who havent are somehow intellectually below them.

IT DEPENDS HOW LOUD IT IS!!!!! I had "habituated " for 20 years ,at the bginning of it all thought I would go mad.

3 years ago an ear infection has taken it right up to a noise level which is nuts,crazy.I will not be habituating to this any time soon.

So people dont feel bad about yourself if your not habituating that is what im saying.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Hi "dweller" Alxtan. I wanted to comment on the dwelling bit cause I feel we are sailing the same boat. I have no medical scientific proof but it seems like us anxious dwellers suffers the most from stuff like T. I think habituating in our case also means finding our physiological balance point, as a matter of fact I recently had a chat with an experienced T treatment therapist that told me to find my position in society and try to find out what I'm trying to achieve and who/what I'm measuring myself to. I really identified myself with that cause I'm the type of person to dwell on these thing. Questions like what will the future bring? Am I as good as my peers? Why don't I have a good job and will I ever be happy? Why does everyone seem to have fantastic lives? Of course we will suffer more from T when we are thinking like that. Is it loud now? Will it ever go away? These are questions I'm trying to avoid asking myself and the T treatment person also said that it's very common to habituate totally, when he said that it was like balsam to my system, I can swear my T levels went down that very day.

I really believe we can lower the T level by manipulating and working actively with the mental aspects of this. I want to add that I got T in June, so I've been on a constant search for information - perhaps I should learn to relax more and get my life into a nice rhythm. Seems to me that our psychosocial state affects the T to a great extent.

Oh, and also. There's obviously a lot of ignorant and totally stupid ENT "experts" out there that insists that T is incurable. This is rubbish because WE can do this job ourselves! I'm not saying it's a pill but when I talk or write with former T sufferers they all heard the same crap from the medical people. I really believe we can lower this thing and throw it out of our conscious mind. Who cares if the T is officially there if we can't hear it?!

Love to all. Let's join hands and support each other. The true experts are us. We know our history, what makes us tick and what makes us stressed. We are in charge here.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Alxtan
      Approved

Alxtan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/2013
      Hello Per,

Thank you for the kind words. You are correct we are truly alike. I do think this way about my T.
      Before the Banshee in my ear moved in I would often think about what the future will bring. I was also quite anxious already to begin with. T is the worse thing for me. I keep on thinking there must be a reason why I got this. But the realist in me kicks in and tells me no reason just a stroke of bad luck.

When I was in the ENT's office there was a couple of patients ahead of me. We were all placed in different rooms but the nurses didn't close the doors. So I can hear the conversations. All of them had Tinnitus and all of them including me was sent home with a nothing I can do for you. Set up an appointment and come back in three months crap. We should have been ENT that's the fastest I've seen anyone make a $1000 plus dollars. I think they left the door open so that it would be more efficient for us to be sent home.

I was thinking that the reason ENT's are this way is because maybe people who have this tend to ask a thousand questions about it. And in order to avoid that they just say nothing we can do about it and kick us out.

8. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hey @carlover . just wondering - how are you 2 years later?

9. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      When you mention high frequencies, do you mean 8-20 khz?

10. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I am wondering too. @carlover . just wondering - how are you 2 years later? I know habituation. I'm in the 14th month of a current relapse. Not habituated yet but I know it takes time. So @carlover how you doing?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello all thanks for asking,well in all honesty and not being over dramatic,if I didnt have my hearing aids im not sure how I would cope,so thanks to whoever invented them.They take the edge off and I also wear them in bed at night volume turned up and even with no sound in the room ,it makes the T bearable ,how hearing aids can do that I dont know.

I will never habituate to this because with the aids out ,the noise gets louder and louder and pressure and pain in the ear builds up.

When I put my aids in the pressure goes by around 70%. I allways hoped ( like a lot on here) that if I could sort my eustachian tube out the pressure would go,that is a red herring its just a tinnitus symptom "aural fullness"
      Good Luck all,Pete

12. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Good that at least there is sth that helps you! You may consider yourself lucky - I read it helps in maybe 1 in 5 cases. From what I read it helps because it allows the ear hear better the frequencies that were almost lost to it before so it freaks out less / is more satisfied ;) and doesn't create the buzz. Makes sense I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have perfect hearing - no loss at all. So why do I have T?