Chewing Bread Spikes Up Tinnitus. What Does It Mean?

Discussion in 'Support' started by anusha, Jan 5, 2018.

1. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I notice chewing bread spikes up my tinnitus. For every bite I take I notice tinnitus sound. When I am at work desk i don't hear tinnitus due to white noise but when I have my breakfast at desk (chewing bread I notice tinnitus is more).

I was thinking my tinnitus was due to hearing loss from ear drum perforation but hearing came back normal and perforation closed. I am just wondering if the cause is different because doctor told if hearing comes back normal tinnitus should go away and it didn't.

I am trying to figure out the meaning of tinnitus spiking up when I chew bread.

2. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      Maybe some problem with tmj? Or etd? Does your jaw sometimes make clicking sounds when you open it?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      No. Does not make any sound when opening jaw or there is no pain in Jaw.

Only when chewing I have T spike up.

4. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      There is a possibility that it has something to to with the teeth but I'm not that familiar with that

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is totally normal, and most people with noise-trauma induced tinnitus report this to some extent. The nerves which make the jaw work run through the temporomandibular junction, and also enter the brain through the dorsal cochlear nucleus (DCN) (along with the auditory nerve). When there is damage to the auditory nerve, it stops sending as much information to the DCN, and in people with tinnitus, wires get crossed and touch-sensing nerve data starts to get experienced as changes in tinnitus.

"The Neural Bases and Neuroengineering of...

Some people notice this when they bite, others when they jut their jaw forward, others when they bend their neck. The exact specifics of why one particular person is triggered by one particular muscle are not yet understood.

I do get changes when I do other stuff with my jaw like move it forward or side to side, but biting down on bread or especially bagels can be a big trigger. Doing basic TMJ self management and sleeping with a TMJ guard help to some extent (though the guard I have was $1700 and I am not convinced it needed to cost a third that).

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I will look into TMJ. Hearing about the word first time TMJ since couple of days. just googled saw there are some exercises. When I mentioned my ENT that I have this he didn't suggest anything because he asked if I had a pain in jaw or sound when I move my jaw. He did ask if I have the problem of TMJ. As I wasn't aware of it and I don't think I have it in 28years of life I mentioned no. I could ignore the sound of T when I chew and move on with life with T by ignoring , acceptance as how my family suggests. But I don't want to miss out on a chance to be T free if I can cure some underlying cause. :( I just don't feel like giving up so asking in this support group. Thanks for the reply.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What if you move your jaw forward, or just bite your teeth together - does T sound change? If so, this is normal. My T sound changes when I move my jaw forward.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      No sound doesn't change when I move my jaw forward / bite teeth together. Only spikes up when I bite bread for a piece. I am not sure what's difference between biting a bread and biting teeth. But biting teeth does not spike up but trying to take a bite of bread spikes T.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It might be TMJ.

10. Brad G

Brad G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/Drummer
      Turning my neck, or standing up straight and tucking in my chin make the hiss in my ears go to a higher pitch, like chewing bread?
      Try rice.. non gluten.. (kidding)
      Aloha