Ciprodex — Safe? Ototoxic? Are There Any Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Support' started by NancyNanez, Feb 27, 2013.

1. NancyNanez

NancyNanez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Have any of you ever used Ciprodex in your ears? I think it might have something to do with my tinnitus. My doctor prescribed it for my ear infections. I think it's a steroid and an antibiotic. Can't find any real info online about side effects, but I think it just may be the culprit (one of them).

2. Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Don't know about the one you posted. I think Ciprofloxacin is also used for ear infections and it is ototoxic. So you may want to avoid that one. I would sooner try something like the EarPopper machine to clear an ear infection. I am scared to put anything in my ears.

The earpopper is used for middle ear infections and it is used in your nose to clear the infection.

I don't own one and never used it, but I am too scared to put any drops in my ears. Maybe check it out.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. kat5

kat5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Hi! I used Ciprodex for a middle ear infection and have had the same reaction...tinnitus!! Has yours gone away yet? I'm praying it will get better with time. It's been about 2 weeks since I discontinued using the ciprodex. I hope you are feeling better now.

4. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      The culprits are so many that theorizing about the cause of yours is futile. And repeat exposure to whatever caused it might have no effect a second time. In short, my advice is to sidestep it mentally and be grateful it's not a disease.

5. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Mine is more complicated I was assaulted and punched all over head, jaw and ears and 50 days later I got Tinnitus.
      However I was on 8th day of using Ciprodex and I got Tinnitus.

So I'm not sure if my T is due to assault or Ciprodex.
      I hope its Ciprodex and hopefully it goes away in a few month.

Who else got T after using Ciprodex. How long did T last?

http://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/nac-for-tinnitus-and-your-health/#.U-n2XONdWgs

Ototoxic Medications

There are over 200 ototoxic medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, that can damage hearing and cause tinnitus. The mechanism of action seems to be similar to that of noise trauma; the drugs potentiate glutamate receptors in the cochlea that promote degradation of hair cells and neurons. This in turn leads to a cascade of free radicals, which further destroys the hair cells and neurons.

http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/Ototoxic-Medications/

What Is Ototoxicity?

Certain medications can damage the ear, resulting in hearing loss, ringing in the ear, or balance disorders. These drugs are considered ototoxic.

- See more at: http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/Ototoxic-Medications/#sthash.x9cuq26p.dpuf

master-ear.jpg
      Inner ear. For ear drops to cause ototoxicity they must enter the middle ear, and then the inner ear. Entry into the middle ear generally requires a perforation in the eardrum, either from an injury, or a tube placed for ventilation (see below). Drugs enter the inner ear via the round window (unlabeled).

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bilat/ototoxic_drops.htm

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Ciprodex killed my hearing and gave me scarey loud T. Doesn't matter, I can't prove it, no one can prove anything. People just look at me like I'm full of shit when I tell them.

7. Sxx

Sxx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I took Ciprodex ear drops 5 years ago for about 10 days. My ears started to go crazy while I was still taking them. The "doctor" I was visiting kept assuring me that my symptoms were being caused by the "ear infection" (an "infection" which I'm not even sure if ever even existed at all) and that they would get worse if I stopped the drops. The drops caused a weird kind of tinnitus, as well as a weird kind of hearing loss. I call it "panning hearing loss". It's hard to describe it but I'll make a quick attempt here: basically certain frequencies seem to be missing from my hearing in each ear. These missing frequencies keep changing in each ear. So sometimes the right ear is missing a range of frequencies from 12KHz to 12.4KHz + 13.4 to 13.7 + etc. in the right ear, while the left ear is missing mostly the frequencies that are ok on the right. It's all random and has been changing over time. I had perfect crystal clear hearing with no issues whatsoever, which I enjoyed immensely, prior to taking that poison and had no tinnitus whatsoever (Had experienced tinnitus caused by exposure to loud sound previously but had completely recovered from it at the time that I was taking the drops). The tinnitus I've had since is not a constant noise of (a) certain frequency or frequencies, like the normal tinnitus that most people have. It's also very hard to describe. I can only describe it as several different sound loops each consisting of several fading in and out frequencies that I've been hearing nonstop. The loops themselves get faded in and out of one another every few minutes or so. So because the sounds are constantly changing, it's hard to adapt and get used to them. And so they distract me and change my thought patterns all the time. By the way, this kind of tinnitus is not always possible to mask; Sometimes even when I'm listening to music, I can still hear the loops on top of the music, no matter how loud the music. This is completely different than tinnitus caused by exposure to loud sounds. You decide which one is worse.

Cipro is a horrific poison by itself. I believe in combination with dexamethasone (which is what Ciprodex is) it possibly becomes even more damaging to the ear.

If you are taking Cipro or Ciprodex currently, stop immediately. The more of it you take, the more you will suffer.

Check out this website about Cipro that I myself recently discovered: http://ciproispoison.com/

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Senaiyt

Senaiyt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It started when I had a sinus infection
      I've read horrible reviews on ciprodex. My doctor prescribed that to me for tinnitus.. Should I refuse that treatment?

9. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Is it for ear infection? Ear infection is more serious than potential ototoxicity of ciprodex. I would take it.

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ciprodex contains a fluoroquinolone antibiotic that i believe caused my tinnitus.

There are options

Natural approach ... mullein and garlic oil

Antibiotics ... amoxil ....cephalexin....

I wouldnt take the risk with ciprodex personally since learning this class of ab downregulates gaba receptors = severe anxiety...tinnitus...etc...but thats just me ..

11. CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was prescribed Ciprodex, because my doctor said I have bacteria in my ear, which he believes is causing my tinnitus.

I did some research, and there are some people who say Ciprodex caused tinnitus. What are your experiences?

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      A pharmacist suggested Ciprodex drops for my tinnitus. She found out somewhere and that it could help? Sounds too dangerous to me. I have a prescription ready at the pharmacy but will probably decline from what I have read here.

14. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      The pharmacist at Mayo clinic actually recommended Decadron (dexamethasone) drops not Ciprodex. I'm not sure why the script was filled as Ciprodex at Walgreen's. I don't think decadron would be ototoxic, but not sure. I had IT dexamethasone injections in my left ear years ago. I see it comes in pills and drops. Might be worth trying, but not sure where she found it could help tinnitus?
      http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/decadron

15. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can someone please help me out. I need help for a good alternative medication, I have inflammation in my ears and I was prescribed Ciprodex but I've heard it worsen tinnitus. Does anyone know of a good alternative. My ears are not perforated.