Clicking Sounds

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bells, Sep 18, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Bells

Bells Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Wondering if any of you get a burst of clicking in your ear. It is not like ringing, or buzzing, but a few bursts of clicks and then it stops. This started a couple days ago and has come back several times. I'd rather not go back to the ENT (because I think he will probably say "you're fine") so I guess I'm looking to find out if this is just another aspect of tinnitus. I think I read it could be a muscle spasm?

2. Eric
      Balanced

Eric Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012
      I do not want to worry you but my sudden deafness started that way. It sounded like tic, tic, tic, about 1 every second. In my case, in less that 3 hours I was deaf on one side. Not deaf as hearing nothing (it would have been a blessing) but deaf as hearing nothing more than Tinnitus composed of multiple noises.

You may want to note the frequency to make sure it is not worsening.

If I were you, I'd go see the ENT.

Good luck.

3. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Both my ears click constantly---a symptom that set in around the time my tinnitus started. It can happen on its own, or if I turn my head, or if I swallow. I believe the clicking is more frequent when my ears are ringing (which isn't all the time). I have never had this diagnosed. But even if it turns out to be middle ear myoclonus (or whatever), it's not clear what can be done!

Interestingly, sometimes when I take certain medications before bed (e.g., Klonopin, Flexeril, Gabapentin), I wake up with no tinnitus, my face feels relaxed, and the clicking is less frequent (or perhaps I notice it less).

-Golly

4. Eric
      Balanced

Eric Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012

If you can wake up with no tinnitus and your face feels relaxed, that could mean that your T is caused by tension. Have you tried going without coffee and sugar for a while?

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Golly
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I have tried modifying my diet in every imaginable way (I'll post more on this topic in another thread). It doesn't seem to make a difference. I suspect my (intermittent) tinnitus has neuro-muscular origins; but I have been down the route of physiotherapy to no avail. The only way I am able to gain some control over my tinnitus is through the occasional use of medications such as Klonopin.

I have posted elsewhere that sleep is a trigger for me (it somehow turns tinnitus both on and off). In order to properly regulate my sleep, I take Remeron nightly (15mg).

-Golly

6. nanner
      Barefooter

nanner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Yes, I have intermittent clicking in my right ear over the tinnitus.

7. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bells

Bells Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      @carlover that does sound like what I have. It's different from tinnitus sounds, and I don't see and tinnitus or hearing changes with it. I wish I could find some trigger.
      @Golly I'm glad to hear Remeron's working for you. My ENT recommended Elavil too. I need to get off sleeping pills...

9. Golly
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Elavil has long been prescribed for people suffering from tinnitus. I know (from personal experience) that even at low doses, it's a great sleep drug. However, I would be interested in knowing if Elavil has a direct impact on the subjective experience of tinnitus itself. So if you choose to go that route, @Bells, let us know how things work out.

-Golly

10. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      Hi have to agree with carlover saw my ENT guy with the same problem and he comfirms that its your E tubes opening and closing I get mine every 5/6 times a minuite

11. Golly
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      That may be true (it certainly sounds about right); but is there anything that can be done about it? I often wonder whether this clicking (a physically measurable phenomenon), which some of us experience, and tinnitus share a common underlying cause. As I mentioned above, these two symptoms set in at around the same time.

-Golly

12. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      Hi ive had T for nearly 12 years now ,but mine set in at Christmas after a really heavy cold and its now beginning to clear

Ray

13. Golly
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @RAY;

You say your tinnitus is beginning to clear? That's fantastic! In what sense is it clearing: is the volume subsiding; has it changed to a less annoying pitch; or are you habituating?

-Golly

14. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      sorry to mislead I was talking about the clicking mentioned further up the thread

RAY

15. Golly
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Okay, makes more sense. In any case, that's still good news that the clicking has started to subside. -G

16. nanner
      Barefooter

nanner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      The theory that the clicking may be a muscle spasm makes perfect sense to me since my eye on the same side twitches quite often as well.