Clinical Investigation on the Beneficial Effects of the Chinese Medicinal Herb Gushen Pian

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Mar 22, 2013.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      The objective is to study the therapeutic effects of Gushen Pian on sensorineural deafness according to the Phase II clinical trial protocol, as approved for novel traditional Chinese medicines by Ministry of Health of PRC.

This is a double blind study in which 120 patients were allocated randomly into treatment and control groups and an open treatment group (40 cases in each group).

Patients in the treatment groups were administrated with Gushen Pian and controls received placebo.

Routine examination of blood and urine, hepatic and renal function tests and pure tone audiometry were performed before and after treatment.

Clinical symptoms and therapeutic outcomes were compared and evaluated.

For double-blind treatment group, the total effective rate of deafness was 42.2 % and total relieved rate of deafness was 4.6 %; for double-blind control group, the total effective rate of deafness was 18.7 % and total relieved rate of deafness was 0 %; for simple treatment group, the total effective rate of deafness was 58.7 % and total relieved rate of deafness was 6.3 %. For double-blind treatment group, the total effective rate of tinnitus was 89.2 % and total relieved rate of tinnitus was 59.5 %; for double-blind control group, the total effective rate of tinnitus was 30.8 % and total relieved rate of tinnitus was 5.1 %; for simple treatment group, the total effective rate of tinnitus was 74.3 % and total relieved rate of tinnitus was 57.1 %.

The double-blind treatment showed statistically significant differences from control group.

The medication could effectively alleviate aural fullness, dizziness, lassitude of loins and knees, dysphoria with feverish sensation in chest, insomnia, and fatigue, etc.

No adverse effect was reported during treatment; no abnormal results were reported in blood, urine, faces, heart function, liver function and kidney function examination.

Gushen Pian had beneficial effect on deafness and tinnitus and could effectively alleviate aural fullness, insomnia, etc., without any adverse effects.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Interesting, I'd like to find out who's administering these trials though. There isn't the greatest track record on these chinese medicinal herbs (or a good track record on much else for that matter) :)

3. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      So you didn't have a link to this one? I was hoping I could read up on it at least. Google searches are providing precious little. :)

4. docjudy

docjudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/10
      I hope this helps. Good luck!
      Clinical Investigation on the Beneficial Effects of the Chinese Medicinal Herb Gushen Pian on Sensorineural Deafness and Tinnitus.
      Zhai S, Fang Y, Yang W, Gu R, Han D, Yang S.
      Cell Biochem Biophys. 2013 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print]
      PMID: 23516092 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Please add the link....

6. Juice564

Juice564 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2011
      If it's just an herb you'd think a person could order some for tea or something

7. Bly

Bly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Looking for herbal supplements containing the words "gu shen pian" can be extremely confusing. There is no such thing with just those three words. Since I don't speak Mandarin, and can't translate what the other words mean, can anyone offer any guidance on what version of available Chinese herbal supplements containing the words "gu shen pian" would be the same - or similar - to the version used in the trial?

8. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The herbal supplement's Chinese name is 骨参舒耳片, english translate is Gushen Shuer Pian.
      It's invented by doctor Zhai Suo Qiang from 301 Military Hospital in Beijing.
      I did some search on Chinese website and seems like it is indeed effective for some patients.
      I also found that sometimes doctor Zhai also use lidocaine and Mouse Nerve Growth Factor for Injection to treat his tinnitus patients.

I would like to try this supplement too!

9. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Hi...

I hav been meaning to find more informaction on this I also trI'd to locate the docters but no luck.....Any here speak mandarin...... can you tell me the botanical name of this herb....then may b I might find it

Cheers
      Dhaval

10. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:

Hi Dhaval, Gushen Shuer Pian is a mixture of herbs formulated by Dr Zhai Suo Qiang, means you will not be able to produce it even if you have all the herbs ingredients.

You can find him at 301 Military Hospital in Beijing. The hospital's website has his info here

Seems i cannot post website link yet until i have a total of 3 post so i'm gonna post in next reply below.

If you have friends at Beijing maybe they can help to buy and send you the supplement.
      If not maybe make a trip to Beijing to see him. I would do this too if my friends in China cannot get me the supplement.

11. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You can use google translate to view this page.

12. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
    13. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Hi eddylee

Thanks for the information. I'll see what can be done. I don't have many contacts there but it's worth a try....I see there are no contact details....also I don't see an mail address either. Do u v cn get his contact details?

Also do u think this supplement will be available for purchsse....I wont mind trying.....I'll see if I cn get som1 to get it for me.

Cheers
      Dhaval

14. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Buy "Gushen Pian" does it mean "Kang Gu Zeng Sheng Pian"

15. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:

Sorry i don't have his contact, you could try to call his hospital and ask for his extension no.
      I don't think the doctor will reply to email, someone has to visit his hospital to buy the supplement for you i guess.

16. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:

Nope this is not the supplement.

17. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months

Hi

I have tried searching their website and the internet but nowehere have i been able to locate even their administration number ....or any contact number for that matter....they sure dont want to be found by the looks of it.
      Cheers
      Dhaval

18. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:

This is the hospital contact, better have someone who can speak mandarin to call for you though

Hospital Address: Fuxing Road, Haidian District, Beijing, No. 28
      Hospital Tel: 010-66887329 (Switchboard),010 -66,939,344 (voice-patient inquiry),010 -68,182,255

19. KEMAL.66
      Busy

KEMAL.66 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 years
      I have read the following.

Have you ever heard anything about this amazing chinese herbal "Gushen Pian" ;
      waiting for your views...

A report from TRI Newspaper 2014:

"Clinical Investigation on the Beneficial Effects of the Chinese Medicinal Herb Gushen Pian on Sensorineural Deafness and Tinnitus"

The Clinical Investigation conducted by "Suoqiang Zhai, Yaoyun Fang, Weiyan Yang, Rui Gu, Dongyi Han, Shiming Yang" in the Institute of Otorhinolaryngology of Chinese PLA General Hospital is on Phase II clinical trial by the objective of studying the therapeutic effects of Gushen Pian on sensorineural deafness and tinnitus...

"This is a double blind study in which 120 patients were allocated randomly into treatment and control groups and an open treatment group (40 cases in each group).

Patients in the treatment groups were administrated with Gushen Pian and controls received placebo.

Routine examination of blood and urine, hepatic & renal function tests and pure tone audiometry were performed before and after treatment.

Clinical symptoms and therapeutic outcomes were compared and evaluated.

For double-blind treatment group, the total effective rate of deafness was 42.2 % and total relieved rate of deafness was 4.6 %; for double-blind control group, the total effective rate of deafness was 18.7 % and total relieved rate of deafness was 0 %; for simple treatment group, the total effective rate of deafness was 58.7 % and total relieved rate of deafness was 6.3 %. For double-blind treatment group, the total effective rate of tinnitus was 89.2 % and total relieved rate of tinnitus was 59.5 %; for double-blind control group, the total effective rate of tinnitus was 30.8 % and total relieved rate of tinnitus was 5.1 %; for simple treatment group, the total effective rate of tinnitus was 74.3 % and total relieved rate of tinnitus was 57.1 %.

The double-blind treatment showed statistically significant differences from control group.

The medication could effectively alleviate aural fullness, dizziness, lassitude of loins and knees, dysphoria with feverish sensation in chest, insomnia, and fatigue, etc.

No adverse effect was reported during treatment; no abnormal results were reported in blood, urine, faces, heart function, liver function and kidney function examination.

Gushen Pian had beneficial effect on deafness and tinnitus and could effectively alleviate aural fullness, insomnia, etc., without any adverse effects."

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Never heard about it, But I havent heard anything at all about what's going on in asian research. Sounds almost too good to be true. You just eat this herb and the T decreases? Was that the summary of the phase 2 study?

21. KEMAL.66
      Busy

KEMAL.66 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 years
      Although this clinical investigation report was published within TRI Newspaper 2014, I could not find any other informations about this interesting herbal named "Gushen Pian". Since "Ginkgo biloba" is very perfect vasodilator (causes dilation of blood vessels), why not "Gushen Pian" could be beneficial? I believe all cures are hidden in the nature , the matter is when we will explore how to usefor any certain disease.

• Like Like x 1
    22. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    23. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      So what is this then? Does this even exist? Do we have any chinese people here on TT that could do some digging on this?

24. Jacob_zjm

Jacob_zjm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      year 1990
      Our Chinese medicine says,if the kidney is weak(i.e. if the person is very tired ),he may then have temporary tinnitus.So certain Chinese medicine including Gu Shen Pian is aimed to improve kidney and relevant organ. But this is different from the typical tinnitus most of us have here,noise/infection/injury induced tinnitus.

25. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I do believe too!! One day they will discover a simple cure for tinnitus hidden in a forest ...

26. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      But the report from TRI doesnt say anything about this being for T from kidney problems?

27. Jacob_zjm

Jacob_zjm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      year 1990
      relevant description is in following website,it is to improve kidney/spleen.Huge amount of Chinese people suffer tinnitus.it is an uncurable sympton here like anywhere else.all treatment of chinese medicine,accupuncture,etc are aimed to help kidney/spleen.Nothing really helpful for our tinnitus(noise/infection/injury induced).What we get here are all similiar as yours: HBO,ginkgo,chinese herb/accupuncture,antidepression medicine,and all types of snake oils.

http://m.doc88.com/p-115719299407.html

28. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Here's the link to the abstract from the clinical trial that appears on PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23516092

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1