Colds and Spikes — Are They Temporary?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Falconfox, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      So from what I understand it's common for a cold to cause a spike yes? and the spike should leave with the cold? I'd research through the threads but honestly I'm afraid of finding horror stories and lately I've been managing my anxiety quite well. The first two days of my cold had no effect on the T and it had been quite low which was nice, this night I woke up and it was suckage city. I can't help but to feel so very frustrated.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi falconfox,
      Our ears are the last thing to clear from a cold so can take a couple of weeks for tinnitus to settle after a cold.

Steam inhalation will help and mucous linctus.
      Chewing gum for short periods can help open eustation tubes but not to much if have TMJ.
      Try not take in the horror stories they just seem more as people don't post as much when they are feeling better.
      Try relax and hope feeling better over the weekend.
      Just had my flu jab.......lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I'm having my first spike with this cold I have right now. Got T in April this year. Not only is the T louder but i now have a new ring different sound however from the cold. This new ring is in the ear though not really in my head like the T I had. I'll let you know what happens when the cold goes away.

4. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I'm going to copy and paste my response to the very same question that someone else just posted...

"Hi Robert, constant hi-pitched T for 6 months here (initially brought on by a cold that lead to a sinus infection). Had my first cold since then (started about a week ago). I spiked on the second day, and 3 days later j returned to baseline. I tried to stay calm and not panic just like everyone here says to do. I just met telling myself that it made sense - T seems louder when you wear hearing protection, so if your sinuses are a bit bunged up, including your ears, you will perceive the T as louder also.

I know it's almost impossible advice to heed but TRY and stay calm. Stress is a MAJOR T activator, and by obsessing and stressing over it, it will turn into a vicious cycle which feeds on itself. Good luck and be well."

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      Think I'll pick up some Emergen C today too to see if I can't shorten this cold up.

@MidnightOilAudio Ya this spike feels very similar to my first one which I believe was caused by the anxiety and stress of the onset. On the one hand it's helping me not to freak out, on the other hand it sucks cause I feel like I had just gotten in control of my anxiety and subsequently chilled out my T.

@glynis Thanks glynis. I'll try some steam inhalation as it sounds nice. At this moment I'm inhaling some home made chicken soup....Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

• Like Like x 1