Comparison of Otoacoustic Emissions in Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Patients with Normal Hearing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Juan, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Comparison of otoacoustic emissions in tinnitus and hyperacusis in adults with normal hearing sensitivity
      It is a pity that the full article is not available for free.

If I understand the conclusions well, it seems to point to a cochlear dysfunction or cochlear damage as the main cause of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

I had myself the distortion product otoacoustic emission (DPOAE) test and results were normal, I think. It was a long time ago. Did you guys have this test too? What were the results?

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Oh saw this paper this morning! I had the cochlear test too a few years ago. I can't remember the results, but they said it confirmed that some of my cilia had died off, and that confirmed by tinnitus. Interesting to see these results in light of this study.

3. Safari1999
      Musical

Safari1999 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      H and T since 04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise damage
      Does tinnitus caused by noise exposure always mean that those hair cells have died off?

4. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe so, because the ringing is triggered in your brain from loss of auditory information from hair cells.

5. Safari1999
      Musical

Safari1999 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      H and T since 04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise damage
      So why does it fade over time/disappear for some people (who had tinnitus from noise damage)? I'm just curious :)

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    6. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Love to see this. This is the kind of research we need, moving away from the brain and "all in your head" and more towards the ear.

Makes me want to try to get an OAE test, though I'd fear worsening.
      Nobody knows.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Maybe the brain ignores the tinnitus signal... that's my guess. It has been compared to the phantom limb phenomenon sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So, as @Shizune said, we don't really know. My hunch is that for some people, their brain resolves the issue and moves on, ending the ringing. Other people probably just get used to their tinnitus which causes it to fade in their perception. There's probably some sort of genetic/environmental factors at play as well. Like if you go to a concert, get tinnitus, but overall live a quiet life, you probably have a better chance of recovering. That's just speculation on my end though.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      There is a Ted Talk about this. There is a “gating” system in the brain. It seems to turn on in people with chronic tinnitus.

10. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Yes, but hair cells die off in everyone - it comes with age, and is why our hearing thresholds deteriorate. I had something in my OAE test at 4-8 kHz, but my hearing was good up to the 12 kHz limit on the audiogram. No speech-in-noise issue either.

So I do not know what conclusions you draw from OAE tests.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Is it just me or have you interpreted it wrong @Shizune? This is saying it's not a peripheral mechanism.
      That said, it may certainly be triggered by hearing damage but the actual mechanism is no longer generated by the inner ear or its interplay with the brain. It seems more a brain derived mechanism after loss of input.

@Travis Henry, you may find this useful.

It's a shame we can't see the full publication.

• Like Like x 1