Concerned About My Ear After My First Aeroplane Trip (Since the Onset of Tinnitus)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey you guuys, as you might remember I posted 2 days ago asking if earmuffs were necessary for flying...

Well I had my first flight since getting tinnitus and I had a weird outcome...

1-first flight was in the morning and it went PERFECT; I went to capital city, the noise was normal, I wore earplugs the whole trip and I took breaks from them for a few minutes, I chewed gum and I had NO pain or blocked ears after the flight (although I know I have some ETD going on) that I know....

After this I felt sooo triumphant about flying!!! I went to capital city for a few hours and I had to take another flight to get back home at night...

2-second flight: then this is where the problems started, I wore ear plugs and chewed gum too, but at some point of the trip, my tinnitus ear started to hurt a little bit, it got blocked and whenever I swallowed my own saliva, it would crack more than usual, I got so scared because the first time I swallowed it made a weird noise like a squealing or awful crack, I went paranoid after this, but I tried to remain clam, not to swallow my saliva or anything til landing;

It's been a few hours since this flight and good news is tinnitus is the same volume and level and I no longer experience pain.

My ear cleared up, it doesn't feel blocked, and my hearing is back to normal.

But my ear crack is louder whenever I swallow, even with the minimum effort it cracks a lot...

It feels like something has been broken after the flight or like I have a bug or something.

Sounds very loud, awful etc... I don't think this is barotrauma.

Anyone out there have a remedy? Opinion or have had this?

Is this part of ETD? Will it go away? :(

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My wife frequently has both ears completely blocked for up to 2-3 days after a flight. Some people are just prone to this.

If your hearing and tinnitus seem normal and there wasn't severe pain during descent, I would expect that things will return to normal over a couple days and try to relax.

I remember one time when my ear was doing a really alarming snapping thing for a week after a flight from Florida; annoying, but did not seem to lead to long term problems.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Thank you Linerb,
      i think im very very prone to this, i have had issues with pressure and blockage, since always tbh
      i guess my eustachian tubes are very very blocked, i need to take care of that.
      i appreciate your comment, i feel a bit better about it.