Concrete Saw from 200ft Away — Tinnitus & Hyperacusis Worse, and Paranoia Around Sound Is Back

Discussion in 'Support' started by Monktonmead, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Monktonmead

Monktonmead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise overtime
      I was walking in my neighborhood today which is usually pretty quiet so I didn't bring earplugs with me. I was walking to the local pharmacy and could hear what I thought was a chainsaw. I turned the corner of a street and the sound instantly got way louder. I looked behind me on the street I turned on and could see a construction worker power sawing directly into the concrete about 200 ft away. I walked in the opposite direction of the saw but there was a clear path to me and the saw with nothing obstructing the noise. I was probably exposed for about 2 minutes, maybe more. My ears started to feel funny after that and my hyperacusis and tinnitus seemed to worsen.

Is it just anxiety making my symptoms worse or could there have been any damage from that exposure? I could still hear the saw 3 blocks over. It was really loud.

I'm freaked out that I made symptoms worse permanently and feel regret for not bring earplugs with me. I should have known better. I usually bring them everywhere but I got too confident I guess. Now my fear and paranoia around sound has come back. I'm scared to even shower now because of the noise.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think you'll be fine. Happened to many us here.

Remember, when your ears are exposed to loud sound, the muscles contract protectively.

You could take nicotinamide riboside.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Monktonmead

Monktonmead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise overtime
      I hope it's fine. I just feel silly about not being proactive and bringing my earplugs. I would hate for that to be the reason my symptoms are worse.

4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      From 200 ft away, the noise level that you experienced was probably about 75-80 dB. I really doubt that could do any kind of damage.

• Agree Agree x 4