Constant Motor Revving in Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by Broadus Palmer, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Broadus Palmer

Broadus Palmer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diabetes?
      has anyone experienced this before? constant buzzing motor revving up and down in ear, it seem to be in right ear then moves over to left ear. I woke up with this all of a sudden, I thought it was our hvac downstairs but it follows me everywhere I go.
      Im trying to stay positive because I have tinnitus and I have habituated for the most part, but this new sound puts me back at square one with panic and feeling of I cant live like this at all or how can I live like this? I think everyone has been there, cant sleep, hardly eat, cant mask it. last night I had the ceiling fan, box fan and tv to try to drown it

im feeling helpless all over again as to I cannot find anything on what I'm experiencing
      contstant engine revving in my ear all day everyday? smh

when I plug my ear with my fingers it seems to calm down but soon as I unplugged them its going crazy again

im breaking down yall, I need some help

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      get some ear plugs... i feel for you yet imgoing through the same thing. Wat too much anxiety, lost 40 lbs, lost all my strength.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      I had that same revving motor when my tinnitus first started. I actually got out of bed to go yell at my neighbor to turn off the motor to his car but after I went outside realized that the sound was coming from somewhere in my head/ear. Try to stay positive as the revving in my case finally went away. It came back one more time a few years ago but that also was a temporary thing and left after a few hours. I understand your panic at the new development and just try to be really kind to yourself right now.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Broadus Palmer

Broadus Palmer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diabetes?
      im falling apart all over again, like im thinking how can I be there for my family? how can I have a little peace without thinking about this, it sounds like someone is literally stepping on the gas of a car and letting off, stepping on , letting off... and I feel it also

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Broadus Palmer,
      If it does not calm down overnight I would see your doctor to see if he can give you a short course of meds like Diazipam to see if it helps.
      If that doesn't help then maybe a ENT referral and hearing test.....lots of love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Broadus Palmer

Broadus Palmer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diabetes?
      do we have any doctors that post on threads?

7. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      Yes, I agree with Glynis, see if you can get some temporary relief with an anxiety medication. Your regular doc may be able to prescribe that for you.

8. Mojo

Mojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      When you talk is it then gone to return when you dont speak? if so i had the same when i had a cold. sounds like a engine or humm at first i went outside to see who"s car was running that long. it sometimes comes and then goes away for a long time.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Broadus Palmer

Broadus Palmer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diabetes?
      @Mojo is actually there all day low, but when I hear certain sounds it gets louder like a car engine of course but also fan, ac hvac noise etc

10. clayman

clayman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Funny my started in a dream
      I also have this.I know i have tinnitus also,first it was cicada,which drove me crazy,only thing i wish for is for it to go away.But now it this revving humming sound,it almost drown out the cicada sound,now i prefer the cicada over this one..Only way for me to cope is to focus on breathing technique exercises,when its get really bad ,it seem to calm it down.I was reading online that breathing technique is the best way to cope with it ,along with Yoga,because its all base on good circulation to the ears..Try it for 3 week or more

11. amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      This is exactly what I'm experiencing right now.
      My ears are like rumbling/ vibrating.
      It was on and off. Now almost constant. Sometimes it's in both ears. Sometimes one. And sometimes my head. And it makes me feel really uneasy.
      I put my fingers in my ear and the sensation stops. When I talk it stops. When I'm on the move outside I don't sense it much. The second I'm at stand still. It's all buzzing. Noises are making it really weird for me. Like an plane flying over the house. My ears go awful. Car engines. People banging. Iv wrote a post on here but no one seems to get back. One girl suggested mineres but I'm not sure.
      I'm new to tinnitus. Had it 4 months now. I haven't yet seen an ENT. I'm waiting for an appointment to come through. :(

12. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It is probably a venous hum. Sometimes blood vessels can get constricted and resonate against the mastoid. I've had a sound like a humming generator for a month and a half now. Most noticeable at night unfortunately.

13. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I'm not sure if we have the same problem but my tinnitus is an engine/drone noise 24/7.
      It's like a car left with engine running.
      That noise and similar low frequency noises will feel as if my brain is shaking.
      Sorry I can't help more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      @valeri have you seen an ENT.
      Any ideas what it is. It's annoying huh :(

15. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Saw 5 of them, no clue! Usual exams and tests.
      Started with cold but progressively worse:(

16. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sounds like TTTS.

17. amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      What's that

18. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      tonic tensor tympani syndrome. It's basically something that... wait for it.... wait for it... nobody knows much definite about right now. :/

I feel a vibration/echo/movement to every new transient sound. You? I also find new sounds a lot harder than constant sounds. I suspect its origin is somewhere in the middle ear, anything from the eustachian to the tensor tympani to the veli palatini, it could be a form of middle ear myoclonus, or a form of veli palatini myoclonus, it could not, it could be a tonic muscle, making the ear tense. Nobody is sure what works for it but there are grommets, tenotomy, botox rumors, maybe even window reinforcement, cases for and against for all. Nobody knows.

19. Mojo

Mojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      i had the same thing when having a cold it went away by itself

20. VickiZ
      Chatty

VickiZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      at least 20 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I can't remember when I didn't hear the sound of motors, for a long time I thought maybe there were actual cars revving their engines somewhere and the sound carried. Or the freeway. Or deep in the earth there was a military? installation, a factory,,,something. I have a 50 % hearing loss, but I have had that for over 60 years (I am 66). Mostly I hear it at night, when things are quiet, when I want to sleep...

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Nikkiag007

Nikkiag007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/28/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea
      Did you ever figure this out? I have same sound.

• Good Question Good Question x 1