Contributing Factors to Tinnitus and Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lex, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Almost one year in, and I realize I haven't really done anything to address my T and H except protect my ears and take supplements. I went to several ENTs, but they were all useless.

But I have several issues, and I don't know if they're worth looking at to see how they affect my ears. I have a misaligned spine (left side is a bit higher than right), straightened cervical curvature, chronic neck and shoulder pain, chronic temple and cheek pain (but this one's mild), chronic sinusitis, a bit of a crooked jaw, and swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I got all these prior to T and H.

Do you think any of my other issues contribute to my T and H? I'm pretty sure I got my ear problems from standing near the speakers at a festival. A month and a half after the event, I got T which was quickly followed by H. Given that noise-induced T and H have no cure based on what I read, I decided to stop seeking medical help. But now I'm wondering if I can make T and H a bit better if I address all my other concerns.

I suppose I should get all these checked and fixed with or without my ear problems, though my question still stands.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The other medical conditions that you have will cause some stress depending on how severe they are and the impact they have on your life, in terms of how you are able to manage with them? Any stress these ailments cause will usually have an affect on the tinnitus and hyperacusis, making them more intrusive. As you know tinnitus and our mental health cannot be separated, so anything that we can do to relieve stress will have a beneficial affect on the tinnitus. Not only that but "life" is problematic and this affects everyone.

If you are using sound enrichment and not using headphones (even at low volume) your tinnitus should be more manageable than it was a year ago? Similarly, I would have expected the hyperacusis to have improved but not necessarily cured as this can take time depending on how severe it was on onset. However, I advise to continue using sound enrichment this doesn't mean to be masking the tinnitus, and the hyperacusis should be cured in time. If you are using any form of earplugs I advise you to limit their use whenever possible. Try to introduce your ears and auditory system to normal everyday sounds. Over protecting the ears as some people do in this forum will have a detrimental affect on habituation and recovery of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @Michael Leigh

My T is the same (although seems a bit louder I think). My H is unpredictable but lately, has been better. But I guess I just want to further improve my quality of life. It's been a tough year of struggle for me, and the thought of doing that for the next coming years is exhausting.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I know what you mean @Lex Are you using headphones? Do you use earplugs? If you are able to get some counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist trained in tinnitus management I feel it would help. Are you using a sound machine at night?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @Michael Leigh

I no longer use earphones and headphones. I use the speaker on my phone to listen to music at low volumes.

TRT isn't available in my country. I already looked. No, I don't use a sound machine. I don't need to mask my T to fall asleep. I used to play white noise on my phone but the hum of the AC at my new place is enough to drown the traffic honks outside.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Lex
      Contrary to what some people believe tinnitus should not be "masked" or covered up so that it can't be heard. I advise you to rethink and use a sound machine at night while you sleep the reason is this:

The brain and auditory system never turn off. If a person with tinnitus (especially when intrusive) sleeps in a quiet room, the brain has the ability to search for sound from the outside environment by turning up its internal gain, (background activity) rather like the volume control on a radio. In the process, it will also increase the tinnitus making it more intrusive during waking hours. By supplying the brain and auditory system with "sound enrichment" while asleep, the brain will suppress its background activity and this will also help push the tinnitus further into the background making it less intrusive during waking hours.

The hyperacusis will also be treated as the auditory system is continuously supplied with low level sound enrichment throughout the night. This helps to desensitise and close down the auditory receptors or gateways that have been opened due to the "noise trauma" that caused the hyperacusis. Unless one supplies the auditory system with sufficient sound enrichment and of good quality, the hyperacusis will not be cured and will always cause problems with the tinnitus. It manifests itself by "spikes" and sensitivity to sound which some erroneously call "Reactive tinnitus" which there is no such thing. Some people disagree with this and they are entitled to their opinion, therefore I will not be commenting on this further.

I advise you to buy a good quality sound machine like the Oasis S-650. It can also be attached to a pillow speaker for privacy and place this by the bedside. It is far to superior to a sound app on a phone which is not up to the job of supplying high quality sound enrichment, unless attached to a docking station with speakers. This is probably one of the reasons your tinnitus and hyperacusis have not improved.

I have explained the benefits of using "sound enrichment" and why it's so important in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Please click on the link below. Most Hearing Therapists and Audiologists that practice tinnitus management advise patients to use sound enrichment at night. Sound enrichment takes time to get used to, so please bear this in mind. The volume should be kept low at a level so it can easily be ignored. Sound enrichment is not to help a person drift off to sleep. It is to treat tinnitus and hyperacusis while we are in deep sleep.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      @Michael Leigh , I listen to pink noise 24/7. What is your theory for why my hyperacusis has not improved to a manageable degree, and why it gets set back so easily?

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Sen,
      Medical conditions come in different levels of severity. Tinnitus and hyperacusis are no different. Due to the additional medical conditions that you have, which you have explained in this forum. I don’t believe you have straightforward hyperacusis like most people. It is a form of hyperacusis but I think it’s much more severe and there may be a deeper problem, somewhere within your auditory system that is responsible this. It is unfortunate and I can’t begin to imagine the distress that it must put you through and hope that your doctors will be able to help you.

One thing I advise, is to try not to turn up the pink noise too loud as this could cause irritation to your auditory system.

In less severe cases than yours, hyperacusis is usually cured using sound enrichment as I’ve described, or wearing white noise generators under the guidance of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist. It is not a quick fix and does take time but certainly doable. My own hyperacusis was cured within two years using white noise generators and was severe.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    9. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Thanks for the response, Michael. I agree that there must be an unknown factor.

Some people in the TRT camp think it has to do with my "negative thoughts" about sound. This doesn't make sense to me, because I thrive on sound. My thoughts about sound are almost entirely positive, and there's nothing I would like more than to be able to experience sound like I used to. Music is my favorite thing in the world, and there's nothing that makes me happier.

I can be sitting there enjoying music thoroughly, when suddenly I am hit with symptoms. It never made sense to me that symptoms caused by sound I enjoy and feel happy about could be caused by negative thoughts about sound. There is just no logical connection there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As you know @Sen I have had TRT and don't believe your hyperacusis has anything to do with negativity. TRT is a combination of two treatments. Counselling and Sound therapy. Sound therapy does help to treat the tinnitus. The hyperacusis whether you're negative or not is physical problem not an emotional one and is treated by sound therapy. Wearing white noise generators during the day and using a sound machine at night by the bedside.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @Michael Leigh My H did get better which is why my T is bothering me more now. But yes, been planning to get a sound machine to drown out the traffic noise I can hear from the 32nd floor. I can sleep just fine when I hear it but would be better if I don't anymore.

12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      A phone is probably the worst device where you can play sound. It has a different pitch from good speakers. Using a hi-fi equipment with decent speakers will make a difference on how you perceive and deal with sound therapy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Yashin

Yashin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Penalty save
      TRT/”hyperacusis” can’t explain setbacks because they don’t understand the problem. They can’t either explain why certain sudden sounds are more bothersome, and a lot of things more, because of that lack of knowledge on the matter.