Conversations Help My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by erniej, Feb 22, 2016.

1. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I just noticed that after I just got off the phone my tinnitus was much more tolerable. I noticed this before. Anytime I have a conversation my tinnitus is improved or not noticeable during the conversation. When I was in the hospital I spoke to people frequently and I was noticing an improvement. A big improvement. When I got home and realized I was returning to dreary boredom my tinnitus came right back. The problem is finding people to talk to everyday. Especially on weekends. Chat rooms don't do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If that is the problem, then it's not such a big problem.
      People from US, preferably near your location, could give you some ideas as to what you can do to resume live interaction with other people, even on weekends.
      Your current T sounds like triggered by depression.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Actually I took turmeric with bioperine for depression and that's when the ringing started. The thing is it's supposed to help tinnitus. The depression went away but the tinnitus remained.
      I still have some depression. I also have chronic boredom syndrome and Adult ADD. I can't find any activity that holds my attention or stimulates me for very long. All - and - all it's a pretty shitty way to live.
      Now that you mention it. After I went out on disability and became depressed at the end of my marriage my tinnitus got worse. When I was working I didn't notice it at all.
      Also, I'm lonely. I'm 65. I remember when I was younger all the neighbors were friends and would get together almost every night or afternoon. Every home had a poarch and they would gather there for drinks. There was a lot of conversation. Now none of the neighbors have anything to do with each other. I own my own home. I'm divorced. My daughters all moved away. Yea, I'm very lonely. After leaving the hospital after 18 days I remember dreading coming back to the lonliness. Like I mentioned in a previous post when I turned on the TV show House MD and the lonliness and the prospect of endless boredom returned so did my tinnitus.
      I'm sharing all this personal stuff just in case someone will connect with it and think "hey, that's what is happening to me."

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      It's good you've found something that takes your mind away from the tinnitus so that you don't notice it as much. If you're able to, why not volunteer for something in your community that keeps you in constant contact with people during the day, like a food bank? Maybe it will drive the tinnitus so far into the background that even when you come home you won't notice it. Set up Skype on your computer and find some online forums for folks who just like to chat. Nothing wrong with being lonely and looking for company in cyberspace.

My tinnitus is more easily ignored in face-to-face conversations, except for the loud days. Then it bothers me even more because it seems to be competing for attention. Any time I talk on the phone it makes it worse. Within 5 minutes I just want to hang up and not hear anything at all. We are all so different with how our tinnitus reacts. :confused:

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Why do phone conversations make some people's tinnitus worse? @Cheza

6. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Guess it depends on who you're talking to? IRS, worse. Good looking girl, better! };-)

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I really have no idea, but maybe it's because the sound is going directly into my ear instead of like someone sitting across the table from me. Or maybe it's because the EMRFR (electromagnetic radiofrequency radiation) irritates me at a very subtle but still perceptible level.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1808869415001639

Excerpt: EMRFR can penetrate exposed tissues and safety exposure levels have been established. These waves provoke proved thermogenic effects and potential biological and genotoxic effects. Some individuals are more sensitive to electromagnetic exposure (electrosensitivity), and thus, present earlier symptoms. There may be a common pathophysiology between this electrosensitivity and tinnitus.

8. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I too find conversation eases the T. I beliege it is simply distraction with sound. The tv doesn't do it for me as its a different frequency.
      If I'm occupied by people it's great, come home to quiet and the T takes centre stage again.

• Agree Agree x 1