Coping with Noise-Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by MakeItStop, Aug 6, 2016.

1. MakeItStop

MakeItStop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Fire
      So I've probably had tinnitus for a month now. The first two weeks were rough but it seemed to get better or I started dealing with it better to the point where I didn't really notice it or let it bother me at all. For some reason it started to bug me again, especially when I try to get some sleep. I think I keep dwelling on the ringing too much and it makes it seem a little worse then it actually is. For the people who have habituated, does sleeping without any white noise or fan on get easier? I'm able to tune out tinnitus but when in a quiet room, it really bugs me. Any advice?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Your T is so very new and you are already doing quite well. Give yourself some credit. It is understandable that at times, T does get under our skin and can bug us when it is that new to our sensation. So I suggest you do some light masking at bed time. By that I mean you don't have to block off the T sound completely. Just provide any other sounds, such as a fan, some light music or nature sounds in low volume. This will allow your auditory system to focus to other sounds instead of zooming on T and with that T will become less dominant at the quite bed time of the day. If needed, you can also use natural alternatives to help you sleep, such as melatonin or chamomile tea. Take care. God bless.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MakeItStop

MakeItStop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Fire
      Recently got noise induced tinnitus from shooting firearms with loosely seated ear plugs. Tinnitus hasn't been too bad but some days it gets to me. I have a mid ranged tone but also a really high pitched tone that bothers me more. How do you guys deal with it, or what treatments have you tried with success and failure? Any input would be great as I am kind of new to tinnitus.

4. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      There are no treatments really. Take vitamins and extra magnesium if you like. No guarantee that actually helps the T but it is not something that you got anything to lose on. I got T from noise too, and nothing I've tried have worked.

5. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      This is exactly how I acquired T and moderate hearing loss. It does get better with time. I went to an indoor shooting range May 20, 2014 and came out with loud T in my left ear and moderate T in my right. I also couldn't hear a thing walking out. My hearing recovered a bit and my T recovered ever so slightly. Over time you will learn to forget about it but trust me, it will never leave. I don't mean to discourage you but rather help you understand that your worst enemy is yourself on this one. If you dwell on your T you will have a very hard time with it as I have learned the hard way. I'm really sorry this has happened to you but despite this trauma I have had plenty of great times. You will have to adjust things in your life but you can still do many things that will be enjoyable to you. Feel free to PM if you want to talk.

6. becomethesky

becomethesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      As for falling asleep, this actually got easier for me after I got T. Which sounds ridiculous but it's true, after a couple of weeks I found a way to do it. Nowadays I've got a new sound which at times makes it a little difficult to fall asleep, and for the first time I'm actually considering using some sort of white noise. I slept in a room with air conditioner while on holidays this summer and it was awesome.