Correct Use / Insertion of Musician's Earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by chaLLas, Nov 14, 2018.

1. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      Sorry to ask this, but since I guess many people are using musician earplugs, I thought I could get some advice from experienced users. :)

How deep do you insert the musician plugs? How do you take them out? (Just pull, gently pull, circulate while pulling or whatever?)

I noticed that if I insert them completely and only the flap is sticking out, they are fully sealing the ear. But when I pull them out (gently and trying to release the pressure as gently as possible), I am feeling a pretty tight pressure (guess it's underpressure because the ear was sealed?)

I am not sure if this is intended as it feels quite intense. I am not experiencing this with foam plugs. I am always afraid that this might be dangerous for the eardrum or in general?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Yes, you insert them until the little handle at the top of the plug is the only thing sticking out, creating a vacuum seal. A slow, gentle pull is also correct but while also gently twisting the earplug.

As for is it dangerous? We find out that certain things that were "safe" in the 1950's are considered dangerous today. We take for granted that things are safe now but it's hard to say for sure what will become history in the future.