Could My Tinnitus Go Away After a Second Acoustic Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by wonderful9235, Aug 22, 2019.

1. wonderful9235

wonderful9235 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/14/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Basically, my tinnitus started a year ago. For six months, I did everything to protect my ears, and by mid January, it had faded to static.

Then, in April, I made a mistake. I performed in a dance show, and on the last night I forgot to bring earplugs. I just wasn’t thinking—I normally carried them everywhere I went but I was rushing and forgot. I was on stage the entire time, and couldn’t go back home to get them. The show was in a medium sized auditorium and lasted for an hour—the screaming crowd was the loudest part.

Ever since then, the tinnitus has been back in the form of a low ringing in my left ear. It’s pretty loud, and it’s been here long enough that I know it’s not just a temporary spike. I’m so mad at myself, because tinnitus stressed me out so bad, and I was so happy when it faded to a level I was okay with.

Now I’m worried that it won’t fade away again, despite the fact that I gave up most of the things I love (headphones, concerts, parties, baseball games, etc) and protected my ears to the point of paranoia outside of that one incident. I went to two audiologist, and they both said I had above average hearing.

As for hidden hearing loss, there’s no way for them to measure that, but I’m sure it’s a possibility.

So yeah. Even if nobody has any idea what I can do, I’d love some support right now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Support won't change facts, you know why you have tinnitus and you knew the risk of loud noise making it worse. No one knows if it will go away or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      All I can recommend is some curcumin supplements, and for you to dig deep and search for strength to endure.

I constantly, when I can, research medical papers about what's happening in our bodies that cause tinnitus and, perhaps in vain, try to understand all of it and think about how to cure this. Maybe you should join me in the good fight. Dont be intimidated by the steep learning curve involved in doing medical research. It is literally the best thing you can do right now.

I am the Chief Science Officer of MPP. Join the war soldier. There is an answer to this.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The first thing you need to do is stop over protecting your ears using earplugs. This will lower the loudness threshold of your auditory system and will make your ears more sensitive to sound. I hope you haven't been using headphones? If you have, then I advise you to stop using them immediately. Keep away from overly loud sounds. If the tinnitus is causing you a lot of distress, I recommend going to ENT for tests then get a referral to see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, trained in tinnitus treatment and management.

Click on the links below and read my posts that you might find helpful.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/