Could Sleeping with Bose Sleepbuds II Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deni83, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Deni83

Deni83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aircraft noises working outside with no protection
      I'm Deni from New Zealand. Never knew I had tinnitus till we visited Doubtful Sound and the boar engines stopped so we could enjoy the silence. All I could hear was ringing and buzzing... I was looking around but nope... just me!

We used to live at the end of Whenuapai Air Base and I would often ask my other half if the engines were being turned over (as they regularly were). Again... nope... just me!

I have used earplugs for many years as I also cannot sleep with outside noise and have recently switched to Bose Sleepbuds II which I use at a level low enough to mask some of the tinnitus and some of the outside noise. The volume bar is about one tenth of the full level.

I am sleeping well for the first time in years... but am I worsening my tinnitus?

I can't say I've noticed a difference but would appreciate any input (no pun intended!)

Thanks for your time!

2. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss due to high volume sounds
      Some say that any kind of earbuds or headphones can make tinnitus worse. I can't sleep without some kind of ambient noise, otherwise all I hear is a constant whistling sound that keeps me awake until I pass out from sheer exhaustion, then if I wake up after a few hours I can't get back to sleep. I first started using sleeping headphones to play noise such as crickets, rain, or white noise, but after being told that doing this can possibly make it worse I switched over to either a Bluetooth speaker or a soundbar and I'll play the cricket sounds through that.

That combined with a 5 mg dose of THC (can also possibly make tinnitus worse but screw it... I need to sleep) and an occasional OTC sleeping pill has finally let me sleep more than 3 hours a night for the last couple of days. The ambient noise doesn't bother my GF so it's all good.

Have you tried playing some kind of ambient noise through an external speaker?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deni83

Deni83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aircraft noises working outside with no protection
      Thanks for the reply - I did try ambient noise but the other side of my bed wasn't impressed...

The earbuds have made a tremendous difference to me being able to sleep without pills - 2 weeks now. I do seem to be aware of my tinnitus a bit more but maybe that's just from reading these threads!

4. bobvann
      Vegged out

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I use a Sony Bluetooth and at times bone conducted headphones.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your tinnitus is noise induced. This type of tinnitus can become worse listening to audio through any type of headphones even at low volume. Type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read the posts.

If you are sure that your tinnitus is unaffected then continue using the earbuds but I strongly advise against it. You could attach a sound machine to a pillow speaker. These pillows have built-in speakers for privacy. You can also try a pillow speaker. These speakers are specially made for placing beneath an existing pillow to listen to audio.

Michael

6. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would recommend using external broadcasting rather than earphones if you have the choice.

As a general rule, you don't want to stress your hearing capital if you're already fighting tinnitus.

Playing safe is always better with this condition :)