Could SSRI (Escitalopram — Cipralex/Lexapro) Have Worsened My Tinnitus Over the Years?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David S, Mar 3, 2022.

?

If you were in my shoes, would you continue or stop taking Escitalopram?

1. I would continue taking it

2. I would stop taking it

3. I don't have an opinion either way

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I would need some good advice. I have used an SSRI (Escitalopram) on and off for many years with good effect, but my tinnitus has also worsened over the years. Could the SSRI be the one to blame?

Because of a recent worsening, I restarted the Escitalopram 10 days ago and it is a mess. I started with 5 mg for some days and am now at 10 mg. Typically I go up to 15 mg. My tinnitus is worse and my anxiety is through the roof.

Any advice? Should I push on or stop?

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Escitalopram is usually safe. It can spike tinnitus when you start on the drug, but very rarely... if ever... permanently. Your brain is probably adjusting to it.

You know how SSRIs, when started, can also increase suicidal ideation? It takes time to get relief and for the neurotransmitters to balance out again.

How much do you score on this test?

https://deprese.euzona.cz/en-index.php

3. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      My tinnitus started when I had been on Escitalopram for years. I then got urinary problems. I tied it to the drug. In hindsight it was probably stress. I went through a whole process of trying different ADs. My tinnitus got worse after taking another AD. I do not know if it is connected or not. I ended up going back on the Escitalopram. I later changed to see if something else could help more with the tinnitus.

The whole thing was a mess. You could look for something else if you are not comfortable on it. It is really hard with ADs once you have tinnitus.

4. T_Almost_Gone
      Mellow

T_Almost_Gone Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion nalextrone
      You asked for an opinion - if I was in your shoes, I would taper off with under doctor's advice and stop.

If you want to give the tinnitus a chance to stop, then it stands to reason to stop the medication and give your brain/ears a chance to recover.