Escitalopram (Lexapro) Made My Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kev96, May 22, 2024.

1. Kev96

Kev96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss left, escitalopram right
      I'm Kevin, 28 years old, living in Austria, and hoping to reach my 30s. For the past ten years, I have had tinnitus in my left ear due to hearing loss from snorkeling and apnea diving.

Two years ago, I developed depression and an anxiety disorder after quitting weed, which I had smoked for a year during the COVID-19 pandemic. My doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Escitalopram but didn't explain much about the medication. I developed mild, intermittent tinnitus in my right ear a few days after starting it. I thought it was due to anxiety and continued taking the medication for two years. Eventually, the tinnitus became constant, and I grew more convinced that it was caused by Escitalopram. After several attempts to taper off the medication, I finally managed to withdraw in small steps. However, one month after stopping, the tinnitus in both ears became extremely loud and has been ringing intensely for the past 2.5 months.

I have been taking 30 mg of Mirtazapine for three weeks now to manage my depression and anxiety because I don't know what will happen otherwise. It helps a bit.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics and mirtazapine
      I'd suggest you do without Mirtazapine if you can.

You already got hurt by serotonergic drugs once. You could make it worse...