Could White Noise Machine Next to Bed Make Hyperacusis/Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by BenzoMom, Aug 19, 2019.

1. BenzoMom

BenzoMom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo WD
      Sorry for all the new posts. I am new to this and very scared/distraught because the hyperacusis is so bad and painful right now and has come on VERY strong over the past several days (it was there before for a few months but not as bad) - normal voices and normal household noises are really hurting me. I go to the ENT/audiologist tomorrow. I do feel this is very much related to the benzodiazepine/clonazepam withdrawal I'm suffering because of all the other nerve issues and w/d symptoms that are going on...

However, with that said, to help me sleep and drown out noise, I had put the white noise machine next to my bed and perhaps have had it too high. I wear earplugs to sleep (have for years) but the noise still helps me immensely and drowns out the tinnitus too. But now, I'm seeing others here say that loud fans and such have caused them setbacks and the way I have had it set, it's as a loud fan. I never even thought that this noise machine too close could partly be to blame here. I need to sleep, though. How do people live with this? I know that this isn't going to necessarily go away until I'm off the medications and my nervous system has a chance to heal, but I need to see if I can manage this in a household with 7 kids, ensure I can get some sleep (which is huge for me). In the meantime, how do I try to heal my ears up and not cause further damage? My ears are burning.

Sorry for the desperate messages but I really am feeling that way now. I was already feeling like I was in hell but this is just unreal.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @BenzoMom

In one of the links that I posted to you is an article titled: Tinnitus, A Personal View, I will paste it below. It covers tinnitus from early onset, what happens at an ENT appointment, tests etc and treatment with a Hearing therapist and more on positivity etc. This will get you started and I strongly advise you to take your time and read it.

A sound machine used correctly will not make tinnitus worse. You must try and not mask or attempt to drown or cover up the tinnitus, as you will not succeed and you risk making the tinnitus more intrusive. Set the sound enrichment slightly below the tinnitus. More about sound machines and sound enrichment is mentioned in my post: New to tinnitus what to do, which I have posted to you and also in Tinnitus, A Personal View.

Try to relax and take things easy. If you are feeling stressed which is quite normal with the onset of tinnitus, talk to your family doctor or mention it to your ENT doctor. More about stress and anxiety brought on my tinnitus is mentioned in my articles.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BenzoMom

BenzoMom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo WD
      Thank you. This is hell. The tinnitus is bad enough and I'm sorry - but this hyperacusis, severe sound sensitivity and burning ear pain is horrendous.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes it is hell and many of us in this forum know what you're going through. Please read the articles I have sent you, they will help I assure you.

Take care
      Michael

5. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Sorry you're going through this. There are great hyperacusis support groups on facebook with good information, if you need that. I hope you're feeling better.