Covered Ears with My Hands Too Fast: Now Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by yeahm, Sep 12, 2018.

1. yeahm

yeahm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud job
      Hi guys,

I am an unlucky sod and so upset right now.

I was sitting in my living room reading with my brother sitting a few feet away and he is a very loud sneezer. Of course he had to sneeze and I automatically, really like a reflex out of fear raised both hands fast and covered both ears with my cupped hands. The movement had a bit of energy and so me immediately in anxiety mode. My tinnitus is screaming now. It certainly didn't have the force of a full-blown ear slap but I am still super worried.

I feel so dumb. Did I just more or less accidentally double ear slap myself by putting hands fast on my ears?

I went through all info about a slap: If I get it right its about the pressure in the middle ear. Could I have overpressured and damaged something?

Could there be any damage to the inner ear?

Worst of all the sneeze was not that loud after all. So this is really ...

Anything I should do right now?

2. Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely jaw and/or neck issues
      Hi @yeahm! Your might have a spike due to anxiety, so try to focus on something else (easier said than done, I know). If you are really worried I suggest seeking medical help.

• Like Like x 1
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't think you have anything to worry about. I don't believe you have damaged your inner ear, and I don't believe you need to do anything other than try to distract yourself from the noise and relax as much as you can.

I've had a few scares, and I get it, but the anxiety is probably what is driving your perception of your tinnitus right now. So calm down, and wait for it to settle cause it will.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yeahm

yeahm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud job
      Thank you! A bit better today though not back to what it was

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I dont get spikes from loud noises. Anyone know why?
      Does thus indicate different origins of tinnitus? Like damaged hair cells vs cochlear neuron damage or auditory nerve damage?

6. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      That seems like something that is the result of you stressing and overthinking it, perhaps try to relax and see if your spike will go away after a few days?

7. Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      The same happed to me today. Did your spike go down? How long did it take?