Crippled by Sound... Uncensored Truth About Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wolfears, Aug 9, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma

Thank you Greg, I will look into this..the self publish sounds interesting as well.

2. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ever since I read that you would use our posts in your book, I have felt reluctant to make any posts. I post embarrassing stuff here. I know my posts can be read by anyone, but I think it is unlikely that someone from my personal or professional life would happen to come to this site, happen to suspect I am the author of some particular post, and then be motivated to test that hypothesis by compiling a list of my posts. However, if someone else did the work of collecting and publishing my posts, someone from my personal or professional life would be able to identify me and then my marriage and career would be over. Since reading of your intentions, I have considered going through my hundreds of posts, choosing the ones that are embarrassing, and then asking the mods to do the painstaking work of deleting them all.

Henceforth I will not post anything embarrassing on this site. Yesterday I very much wanted to post about something that happened to me and that I am still worried about, but this is no longer a safe place for me to post. This is a huge loss to me. I am now thrust out on my own.

For whatever it’s worth, I do not want you to use anything I have ever posted.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This book is NOT going to become a best seller. Nobody cares. The best possible outcome: A couple of hundred of people might skim through it - most won't read all of the quotes in the book. You have nothing to worry about.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No problem i will not...no worries.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Wolfears ,
      If you do intend to use posts first

1.You need the permission of that person for that post to be added even if you remove the name or crop the post and need permission for each post and not taken ok to post all.

2. Members have been intouch because what is posted by members on the forum stays on the forum and under any circumstances would they want any bits posted.

3. Remember posts can be emotional,suicidal and a cry for help and don't want them in public view in a book.

love glynis x
      @SugarMagnolia

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No problem Glynis....I will cross this bridge once I get there.
      Yes a lot of the quotes and posts do have dark suicidal undertones...
      This is why it would be effective to get some of them out there since the smiling, well rested actors in Tinnitus commercials simply don't cut it.

In order to get people's attention they need to be shocked...unfortunatelly.

As I said, I won't post anyone who does not want to be posted so members don't need to worry.
      In the worse case scenario, I might just scrap the project and come up with something else instead.
      Thank you for the heads up.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      I write this with kindness and respect. What you wrote there is true but it doesn’t accomplish anything. People write about mass shootings, domestic violence, suicides of famous people, just about anything....it sells and people are shocked but never shocked enough to do anything about it. The only people who care about tinnitus are those that already have it and, if it bothers them enough, they are already here or some other social group.

Please don’t get me wrong, I totally applaud your message and your effort. When you write your book, you do it for you, not to change the public’s mind. If your story is that good, your story will change their minds and perceptions. There are far more injustices in this world than tinnitus in the minds of the public and those injustices continue in spite of people writing about it.

There are 2 ways to address a subject, first person or third person. Using forum posts and anecdotal stories will limit your audience. The audience can get the same information coming here. First person is your story, how it affects you, and how you coped. You get people’s attention bu your story, not others. This is why I posted a link to a blog of a tinnitus sufferer in my first post to you.

Again, I say this with kindness and respect.....your story is what will get people’s attention, not ours. They can come here to read about ours.

Bobby

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The book itself may not accomplish much, but it is a start..
      For example the friend of mine who threw up and had an anxiety attack after reading it (hoping it wasn't due to my bad spelling and horrible grammar) told me, that he will no longer listen to music at loud volume, because he does not want to end up like that....
      True, my friend is a very sensitive type...but even if it only reaches those kinds of people it still counts for something.

Lot of the books, such as the books on mass shootings etc, work more on subconcious level I think, but the awareness is SLOWLY increasing.
      It's probably the equivalent of planting a seed and waiting for it to grow into a plant..sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.
      The numbers are there...just in the USA alone there is about 2 million of people, whom are completelly debilitated by this condition.
      Immagine that mumber of people....it could easily be a small country somwhere in the baltic region, that probably ends in "istan".

Do not underestimate the power of one book if the right people read it at the right time.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The countries with names that end in "stan" are nowhere near the Baltic region. They are all located north of Pakistan.

10. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      No worries.....my advice was based on your original post where you said you never wrote a book before and didn’t know how to do it. In my past, I have written 5 books and self-published 1. My experience was in teaching creative writing. So my advice wasn’t on your subject but rather how to begin the writing process.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes you are correct..
      I meant it more as a generalization of sorts, since your average American cannot tell the difference between Chechnya and the Czech Republic for example.

Everything east of USA is some kind of "istan" to them, so why not just go with it...but you caught it (correctly) and called me out on it, which means that you are not in that average group anyway.
      Also I don't mean to offend Americans in general, as there are lot of smart, very literate people in that country...but I just didn't feel like getting too accurate or specific for the reasons mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok sorry my bad...I just interpreted your post in a different way.
      All good.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This reminds me of
      Can You Name a Country?

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Ahahahah I‘ve never seen this clip:D

• Like Like x 1
    15. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      @Wolfears YOU WIN. Whoever succeeds (if anyone ever does) in making the public and researchers understand that severe T is literally, literally, literally 24/7 sound torture will have done a truly heroic deed that could lead to amelioration of this inhumane suffering.