Cryotherapy?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by mrdude1234, Jun 10, 2015.

1. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Hi all,

I'm not familiar with cryotherapy but I know it involves having your body in freezing temperatures with the goal of reducing inflammation.

I just ran a google search on cryotherapy and tinnitus and came across this pub med:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18552023

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      The study is dated 2007... why is there no more information about this therapy? It is successful?

3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sounds crazy!

4. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      Go for Cryosleep. You will be brought back when there's a cure for extreme T and H.:rockingbanana:

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      That's interesting... can they wake you up from cryo sleep nowadays?

6. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      No! And they probably never will. The problem is that when you freeze something you effectively kill it.

Even when you freeze bacteria you kill about 99% of all the bacteria in your container. However since bacteria is a one cell organism that 1 % is enough to start a new colony once thawn up. If you freeze a human and kill 99% of ones cells the outcome upon unfreezing is not as good, if you know what I mean.

7. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      Guys seriously? That was a joke. The :rockingbanana: should give away the irony :D

I meant cryo-pods like in movie Aliens or Interstellar..
      You would wake up years or decades after and everyone you know got old or is dead...well.

8. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Yeah. But I don't think we are ever going to be able to do it with humans. At least not as we are today. If we were to genetically alter the human population, then maybe. There are arctic species of fish that can survive being frozen, meaning temperatures below zero C as sea water doesn't freeze at zero C because of the salt, however they do not survive deep freezing. So if we introduced some of their genes in humans then maybe.

But if we start altering humans genetically then we might as well ad the ability to regenerate inner ear hair-cells :rockingbanana:

I got the irony in your post but @Atlantis seemed to ask a serious question.

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

Well, if you want to try it, it's gone fairly main-stream. They have it in a lot of spas in the city, celebs are doing it. I don't think I'd make it thought, -110c for 3 minutes? My hands get cold holding icecream. :eek:

Might be cheaper than other efforts we all put in for relief, though, and it is supposed to help with tissue repair, provided you avoid mild frostbite. I find it hard to believe standing in an ice box for three minutes would change my noise-induced T much, but who knows.

Who wants to give it a go haha? :) http://www.kryolifehealth.com/

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think we can put this on the list of things which clearly do something to the body, which is not amazingly well understood.

Replicating the protocol in the study would cost me a grand total of $290. Hilariously enough, there's a Groupon for this.

I'd probably rather buy a couple Tarmogoyfs with that money, but I may take a shot at this sometime.

11. Lee Davis

Lee Davis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      I've done cryotherapy(full body) a few times at this place http://www.cryohealthcare.com/

I didn't notice any changes in my T, although each time I walked out of there with a lot of energy and it did seem to help with recovery from workouts, sore muscles, etc. I'll pay more attention to my T levels next time I visit. Still have a couple treatments left I've already paid for.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Keep us updated, I only thought of it as a possibility if the tinnitus is inflammation related, but of course who really knows!

13. Frederico_23

Frederico_23 Member

14. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Is in that link same study from the first post? As I see it is, that is study from 2007 (from the first post in this thread) but on the http://wholebody-cryotherapy.com/en/indications-for-wbc/further-indications.html they are not ethical, they did not refer right informations, about 16 ot 80 patient that had slightly INCREASE of t. ?!

From the study: The results indicates complete elimination of tinnitus in 4 patients, decrease in their intensity in 47 patients, maintenance of the ailment on the same level in 13 people and slightly increase of tinnitus in 16 patients.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Does anyone know if Cryotherapy works for Neuropathy? If so certain cases of Tinnitus are Neuropathy based. Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I hope to be posting this topic under success stories. I completed five cryotherapy sessions last week. I'm getting improvements in tinnitus immediately. But because I'm dealing with the worst spike of my life, I'm not back to normal. If you are desperate like me, cryotherapy is worth trying. Make sure it's a full-body chamber as the one where your head is exposed did nothing for me. I go for 3 minutes and find moving is helpful. Not everyone will have access to cryo but it's become more popular. I'll not stopping at five so I'll be updating soon.

PS. Only one study done for tinnitus but the results are mostly good. See above.

17. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Maybe the spike is just getting better on its own?

18. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Always possible but the spike comes back about 24 hours after cryotherapy so it's having an effect.

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi,

Where do you do this?
      How is the chamber cooled? And to what temperature?
      What’s inside the chamber?
      Do you go naked or in a bathing shorts?
      How long will the owners, or people who run the chamber let you stay in?
      Lots of questions... sorry... I am a freak for herbal stem baths and cold pools...

20. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm not sure where you live but Cryotherapy seems to be popping up on every street corner in LA. I go here:
      https://www.next-health.com/cryotherapy.html
      The chamber is cooled to -150. It's non-nitrogen so you can breathe. I wear shorts and no shirt. They give you socks, mittens, sandals, face mask, and earmuffs. Max time is 3 minutes 30 seconds.

I'll be starting a new thread in the Alternative Treatments section soon.

• Informative Informative x 2
    21. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I live in Laos, things are fairly primitive here in terms of technology.
      Thanks for all the info... that looks crazy and surely super invigorating.
      That’s cold... I look forward to your posts, thanks for the info.

22. Eric75007
      Chatty

Eric75007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Since T is placed somewhere in the brain, then I guess you have to cryogen the full body, head included.
      Did anybody came out alive of this experiment ?

23. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      You can also just take cold showers. Though I will admit cyro is definitely easier.