Cures or Treatments?

Discussion in 'Support' started by KimC, Mar 22, 2014.

1. KimC

KimC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi,

Does anyone know if anyone has had success with any treatments or cures for Tinnitus on this site? I just got diagnosed with hearing loss, and I was wondering if anyone with hearing loss due to Tinnitus could also get relief somehow.

Thanks,

2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      unfortunately the answer is no, there's no treatment for the moment but some are being tested at the moment.

maybe you could enroll into these test studies?

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      There might not be a cure, but there are A LOT of ways how to get relief. This forum is full of those tips & tricks. Stay strong!

4. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
    5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Also sometimes with hearing loss. Hearing aids can reduce the sound of. T. So that is something to look into.

6. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      As far said am aware, T does not cause hearing loss - it's the other way around. I have heard people comment that hearing aids that play white noise can help with T, so might be worth giving it a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @citigirl13 is right, tinnitus is a symptom not a disease, it won't make you lose your hearing.

8. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have been using a hearing aid for about a week. I hear sounds that I haven't heard in a long time. New environmental sounds do introduce new stimuli to focus on. But the Tinnitus is still there. My brain hasn't retrained itself to blend the new and the nasty. I'm only 62, so can you teach an old dog new tricks?

9. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      'Cure' is only possible with an acute cause. Most tinnitus is related to noise damage, drug damage or age. Looking for a cure for most sufferers of tinnitus is a waste of time and no such medical 'breakthrough' is on the horizon. The management strategies that are already out there are quite effective and if patients with tinnitus concentrated on those, they would be much better off. The main therapy is time - your brain will habituate. Your brain is actually smarter than you are !!

10. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Wouldn't drug damage constitute acute

11. Dr. Ancill

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I used the term 'damage' to imply a structural injury. There are some cases where steroids will reverse sudden onset tinnitus - in those cases, structural damage was avoided.

12. Dr. Ancill

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Mine started at age 63. Six months later, I am habituating well.

13. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Behavior management is 'potty training' for adults. Tinnitus is neurological and requires a neurological solution, such as brain region stimuls solution. We'll be cybernetic whether we like it or not.

14. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Your positive that no break through is possible. Do you want explain why this is so? Also how do you habituate to a malady that keeps changing?