Customizable Sound Therapy Pitch in a Tinnitus Noiser/Masker/Hearing Aid?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Georgie, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Georgie

Georgie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Duloxetine Withdrawal
      Hey there - I previously used a tinnitus noiser/hearing aid that played white noise at a pitch programmed by an audiologist to suit my tinnitus. This was a game-changer for me.

Does anyone know of a noiser/hearing aid brand where the user can adjust the pitch (not just volume) of the white noise at home (perhaps using an app)? I spend long stints abroad and this would give me the freedom to change the pitch of white noise myself to suit my tinnitus better when its pitch changes.

Material online seems unclear, but I want to be sure that self-customizable devices are not available before I go with a standard option. I've never heard of a device where the user can alter the noise pitch, but maybe I'm missing an obvious option. I don’t need the hearing aid function, so that isn’t essential.

If user pitch customization isn't possible through official apps, perhaps there are workarounds where the hearing aid can be connected to another device (like a phone) that can play white noise of the desired pitch through the aid (no worries if this is a stupid idea).

Alternatively, is there any way users can access the computer software needed to program the pitch of their noisers/maskers/hearing aids? (I appreciate this is unlikely).

Many thanks for any thoughts you have :)

2. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      If you can stream with Bluetooth, you could use TinnitusPlay:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/tinnitusplay/

You can also use other apps like myNoise or ReSound or watch any number of YouTube videos, such as cricket sounds and different sounds, like white noise by Dalesnale.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I do not have hearing loss. However, I use Oticon hearing aids that have built-in sound generators for tinnitus therapy. My audiologist disabled the hearing aids via computer, so these devices operate purely as sound generators for tinnitus and hyperacusis if it is present.

These devices connect to an Oticon app on my phone via Bluetooth. I can select white noise, pink noise, or ocean wave sounds. The app also has an on-board equalizer, so the pitch of these sounds can be adjusted to match the tinnitus if one chooses too closely.

Please be aware the recommended way to use wearable sound generators is not to match the sound to one's tinnitus but to set it below the level of the tinnitus. This way, the brain will habituate generated sound, and over time, it will slowly push the tinnitus further into the background.

Some audiologists erroneously advise tinnitus patients to set white or pink noise at the mixing point. This enables the sounds to blend with the tinnitus. However, this approach can present problems by making tinnitus more intrusive for some people. I have corresponded with quite a few people who have tried this method and have had problems with their tinnitus.

I don't think it's a good idea to match the pitch or volume of pink or white noise to the tinnitus. My audiologist was born with tinnitus and advised me to always keep the sounds in wearable sound generators below the level of the tinnitus.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    4. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I have hearing loss and tinnitus. I've had hearing aids for about five years. I use the app BeMore; it has a wide variety of tinnitus masking abilities, including noise filtering, sensitivity, adjustable pitch, and the ability to keep the white below the tinnitus, which can be variable each day, with a minor adjustment to match the tinnitus.

Elmer

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If your hearing aids and white noise are working for you, that's great @Elmer B Fuddled. You are doing the right thing by keeping the white noise below the tinnitus, not masking it or completely covering it up so it can't be heard. This practice usually causes more problems than good, as it can affect the brain to habituate to the tinnitus if it can't hear it.

As soon as the masking sound is temporarily stopped or completely removed, the brain will immediately latch onto the tinnitus, and often, it will appear to be louder and more intrusive. The correct way to use all forms of sound therapy, which is known as sound enrichment and not noise, is to introduce it slowly and keep the sounds slightly below the tinnitus. Over time, the brain will habituate to the sound enrichment and slowly push the tinnitus further into the background, making it less noticeable and habituation occur.

Some people have difficulty using white noise generators with or without hearing aids and sound machines because they are not using them correctly or introducing them slowly.

Best of luck,
      Michael