Dare to Hope or Not?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul201, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Hello there, hope the xmas festive time is going well for you all and of course the ringing fading away, lower and lower......until....

Well, I would just like to post my T onset story to see if someone on here has heard similar and get my hopes up. I have liked to play movies and a bit of music in a home theatre setup over the years, but not too much so I don't think I have long term exposure to noise. This year I have some newish speakers and a subwoofer (damn u) and was setting up the subwoofer. Playing a blu ray (master and commander, cannons firing, HT people will know the scenes) I for some reason decided the sub was not playing well so leaned over it,( by the way its a 12 inch sub, so pretty powerful as they go) maybe a foot over it and then there was a nice cannon volley and the sub did its job with some powerful bass.

Volume wise, it was lower than in a cinema imo but of course the room is 8x18 feet but it was not excessively loud and if I was in my seat it would have had no effect on my ears as I've listened to that scene before with no problems. Since that moment my ears have been ringing, the usual eeeeeee in my left one and a different two tone kind of eeeeee haaawww (lets say a donkey tone) in my right one. It has improved a bit since the start, not so piercing. I used to clearly hear it over medium and even loudish tv but now medium level tv will mask it, but at night its clearly heard :( and I wake up a lot, even though I can fall asleep ok (which is a bit strange). Oh yeah the sub is up against a wall with a sofa and shelves on either side so maybe the sound wave was all directed back to me and so the volume maybe have been increased that way, who knows.

Its quite depressing reading about T at times since there are so many long term stories and not so many short term recoveries it would seem, but people do recover if you look hard enough. I don't want to hope too much that I am one of them but I still have some hope but there is a voice saying Damage is Damage and your T is telling u that so don't get your hopes up!

There is almost certainly no way to give a definite answer to this or any T onset but has anyone heard of a similar story and what was the outcome? Good or bad of course

Happy Christmas and oh yeah one thing I have noticed is that I drank a few cans of beer a week and a half ago as I was in a bad state and looking for something and my T completely disappeared after 3 or 4! Total silence, I was amazed and delighted until I awoke at 5 am with the usual eeeeeeeee, I was gutted in some ways but maybe that's a hint for what I need to do over Christmas :p

2. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      Hi there.
      if it´s an acoustic trauma it might fade away for good, sooner or later. i wouldnt read too much about T now... you can find so many horror stories everywhere and create a huge anxiety for yourself. Give it some time, mate. Try to stress less, and that Guinness might actually do some tricks. A few pints with friends is the best therapy there is.

I like that movie a lot. Almost unparalled when it comes to naval warfare movies. Das Boot still hold the best position. Yeah...sounds amazing the subwoofer could have caused it but hey.... they can get loud these days and you know best yourself.

Merry Xmas to Ireland. I used to live there years ago. Longtime fan of Emerald Isle that´s me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      And a very merry Christmas to Finland too!! Yes im done reading too much about T, its a bit much for a recent recruit, if I make myself worse I may end up ill, yes tomorrow at some point I will make my T go away (for a few hours ofc).

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi Paul
      Sounds like you need less woofers and more beer.
      I've had T for 40 years. Keep the volume down or you'll pay. Merry Christmas.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Less woofers and more beer, yeah I may make a tee shirt of that one! Merry Christmas to you too. 40 yrs with that racket in the ears, you must have rediscovered yourself many times over, congrats

6. Martin Jensen
      Fine

Martin Jensen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Try not to worry. Your t seems loud to you now, but if you cannot hear it over the tv, you will habituate to it in time. There is also a pretty good chance it will fade into insignificance over the next few months. Either way, protect your ears from now on but dont overprotect. You will be good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Hi Martin, thanks I hope you are right! Merry xmas to you, I want it to fade past insignificance, I want it gone :p

8. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Hi Paul.
      I just want to say that most people do recover from tinnitus. That doesnt mean their tinnitus goes away, but they get so used to it that they stop thinking about it. Here is an anology. Imagine the sesation that youre having a sock on your foot. Your brain constantly recives signals from your foot wich generates the feeling that you. You will always have this feeling as long as you keep your sock on. However, you probably didnt pay any attention to this feeling until I mentioned it. Its like it werent even there. Thats how out brain works. It can block out sensations and feelings that doesnt seem important. At onset of tinnitus your brain will focus on the sound since its new, but for most people this sound will slowly go back to the ignore list like the feeling of your sock. This may take some time tho. However there are some that cant stop focusing on it and develops severe anxiety and depression. This makes the way to the ignore list harder for your brain. They might seem many, when you visit forums like this. But keep in mind that there is less reason to come on these forums unless youre having a hard time, so all these success stories wich makes up the majority, does not feel the need to come to these forums, hence they seem less common.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Thanks Jesse, its a good thought. I suppose fading into the background and not having it impact life is something to be happy about. I presume this is related to loudness and changes in the sound, ie the lower and more constant it is the easier to get used to, that's what it seems to me anyways.

If I can stop waking up a lot during the night I will have a decent shot at getting used to it, actually im not that anxious about daytime, even when it was whining away loud over everything I usually ignored it pretty ok, just night time its a bit different....... there is no escape and white noise seems too low to be much use to me, either that or keep the whole house up (not really an option)

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    11. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      The best example I remember by Dr. Nagler was it's like the wiper in your car. If it's always on, you will notice it and have a lot of disturbance at first while driving. But after a while you get used to it and it doesnt distract you that much and you tend to forget about that wiper