Decibel App on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Support' started by greenpointer, Sep 8, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. greenpointer

greenpointer Member

• Like Like x 1
    2. Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hmm, that's an interesting concept. I swear you never know what Apple is going to come out with. I've never tried the app, nor do I own an Apply watch, but it sounds like it could work relatively well. I'd assume that they'd have the technology now to have a decibel measuring device integrated into a small mobile item that you can carry with you (like a watch). I think the ide of it is awesome- and if it works I'd like to get one myself as well.

3. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Wow what will they come out with next .
      Anything to protect ears is a great move in the right direction and has my vote.
      ....lots of love glynis

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      In general my experience has been that such apps are not great over about 85db because the little microphones you have in the devices just are not made to accurately measure loud sounds.

The way to find out would be to spend $25 on a real dB meter from Amazon or someplace like that, and then do comparisons between the two devices in a variety of sonic environments. Having done this with a Nexus 5, I find that my phone is quite accurate up to about 78 dB, and after that, it's sketchy.

5. greenpointer

greenpointer Member

FYI I looked into this, and you actually have to run the app on your iphone as well.. you can only "monitor the decibel level remotely" which is lame.

6. Jued0713

Jued0713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late March 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss I think
      I had a Samsung Gear S2 watch and I wondered if it could have been partially responsible for my tinnitus because it started right around the same time I started wearing the watch. Any thoughts on that?

7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      These apps are rubbish. In my room which is silent it is measurint 50 decibels...