Decibel Therapeutics Partnership with Regeneron

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Aaron123, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Frequency Therapeutics is not a hearing loss company. They are working on progenitor cell activation
      PCA, which the cochlea is part of their project to activate dormant progeintor cells throughout the body to repair muscle tissue, skin tissue, eye tissue and hearing tissue with much more.
      upload_2018-8-27_10-28-52.png

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      What's your point?

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      unknown.png
      I'm confused what you mean when you said Frequency was in it for a "quick buck"? when they are practicing a different discipline entirely that gave then an advantage to Decibel.

• Like Like x 5
    4. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      I hear what you're saying. Maybe my view of FX was incorrect.

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      They're all in it for the money. This just happens to benefit us the most potentially.

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The more I realize about how complicated our hearing is, the more I wonder if frequency tx's fx322 is going to be able to do the trick. It's almost a 50/50 shot. No pun intended. The mice treated with a primary ingredient of fx 322 could hear again but we dont know the quality of their hearing. They could have had major hyperacusis, distorted frequency response etc. On the other hand fx322 may be a perfect fix and give us childlike hearing. I'm obviously hoping for the latter.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Regarding culture and office spaces...
      https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Decibel-Therapeutics-Reviews-E2025811.htm

"Well run startup, developing medicines for hearing"
      "Pros
      Great culture, transparent communication, company values that are actually followed, not just written down. Rigorous focus on science. Experienced management team. People have fun together, laugh a lot, respect each other, work hard."

However, looks like they are still recruiting expert rodent cutters rather than somebody who has experience of humans... JobAd

8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damn, I wish they would come off with some more info about what their technology platform is.

9. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      They have seven job ads open on glassdoor, and its not just rodent cutters :). Have you read them? Might give you a hint!

10. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I have to admit, those talents are living a good life. I don't think they are in a hurry to come up with any kind of cure by the so often quoted year "2020". If it happens, it happens. They are in it for the ride, not the end-goal. And there is a lesson in that for all of us.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    11. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Make that seven weeks, and sit under a Hawaiian rain tree. You might reach cochlear enlightenment. :angelic:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      As most of you have noted, Decibel is a different kind of company, by many aspects in fact. I won't bore you by listing them all here.

But basically, I don't think it's wrong that they invest a lot of money in floor space. In fact, I think it's a requirement. They are aiming high, and they are in it for the long haul. Space is very important for any kind or endeavor. Having all the staff under one roof has its advantages too. Space is not only about housing big machines and "expensive computers". It's also important for organizing and running the business, for day to day operations and boring things like meetings.

Science is all about organizing information and turning that information into knowledge through a very slow process with insane attention to detail, using both brain power and computer power at times. It's a very hard work in fact.

Having all this space to themselves is ultimately going to benefit the company. It's one of the three basic things every business needs - space, inventory, and staff. The importance of space should not be underestimated. Decibel understands this well I think. They are aiming for best and largest space possible, most talented staff, and presumably top-of-the-line equipment.

Like any company just starting out, it's going to have its share of ups and downs. But honestly... I think Decibel is all set for a safe and fruitful journey.

Just my 7 cents...

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Decibel Therapeutics is devoted to tackle all otological issues. They want to be a world authority on regenerative biology of the ear. Let's hope 10 years from now the word "Decibel" is a household name whenever someone damages their hearing or gets tinnitus instead of visiting the local ENT that says learn to live with it.

https://decibeltx.com/our-platform/

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If they figure out how to cure all ear problems that will also mean they will cure many many many other problems including spinal cord damage, maybe even regenerating amputated limbs.

15. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      tbh if you can regenerate an entire audiotory nerve, you would be able to regenerate a ton of other nerves and cure a ton of shit. I dont think they are working on something that extreme.That probably won't happen until 50 years from now and I don't think Decibel will be the ones to do it, do not get your hopes up for that. If nerve regeneration was perfected paralysis would be first on the list not hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      true dat.

17. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Lots of progenitor cells, a 3D printer and we´re there:pompous:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, wow I didnt even think about the 3d printer. That would be a very very high resolution 3d printer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Make that 5 years!

Source: https://timesofsandiego.com/tech/20...-victims-ucsd-creates-spinal-cord-stem-cells/

Of course, clinical trials would take time too. But still... I don't believe it will take 50 years.

Source: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/uoc--nfr082918.php

Interesting stuff... just like Frequency Tx, they also seem to be going after progenitor cells ("the growth programs are still sleeping in our bodies").

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope you're right. I'm so bewildered by this horrible ugly sound in my head. I even had a remarkably low tinnitus day today and after 9 hours at work I am actually crying right now, wishing this shit would just go the fuck away. I cant believe this has happened, not just to me, but any of us. I have prayed to God to heal me, I've been researching this as much as humanly possible. I've been guinea pigging medicines on myself. I feel like there is an answer out there somewhere right now and the answer is just locked away in the shadows.

I just want my life back. I want to enjoy music again. I want to be able to sleep without some noise playing. I'm sick of waking up and the first thought that pops in my head is "oh well there's that ugly sound." My damn brain is rewiring itself and now I have dark eye floaters and I am starting to see things moving in the corner of my vision, sometimes it's a bug sometimes it's an eye floater. That thankfully can be fixed at the doctor.

The only good thing about this is that I've met plenty of good people on this website and I've now developed an incredibly enhanced empathy for other people suffering any disease. It's like the black hand of death is reaching up out of the grave and attached to me and wont let go. And it sounds like a damn dog whistle.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    21. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      God be good to us, please. I repentance of any sin. I want to be cured as well I want you all the same. I have ear pain my ear feels cool and burning and stabbbing and also tinnitus all over my head from a loud concert. Stupid me.....
      Hope we can have treatment soon soon but I dont know when this going to happen...

Love yall and let's get God involved.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. Repentance. That is the main ingredient. I pray everyday for Jesus to heal us or show me the cure. This is all part of the curse of death. I am 100% sure of it.

• Like Like x 2
    23. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I now look at people who go to clubs and concerts without hearing protection as fv¢k1ng CRAZY to subject their ears to all that loud, unnecessary noise!! And sadly, yes, that was me at one time. :( Little did I know how sensitive our ears are.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      I see it the same way. If people only knew there would be nobody going to concerts or clubs. I would have given everything to be able to go back 15 years and slap the crap out of the younger version of me! This is one of the more difficult things about this affliction. I have no one to blame but my self. I most likely brought this upon myself by being young, careless and very, very stupid.

I have a hard time thinking about having children. I would be in constant fear of them ending up like me and my dad who also has tinnitus. Sometimes I think of not having any. Studies have found a genetic component in tinnitus especially between father and sons so the best might be not to have any kids and just let any crappy tinnitus genes die with me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    25. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      By the time your kids grow up, medical science will be a lot farther along and they'll probably have a cure (or something close to it!)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    26. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2hc8c8.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      I really, really hope you are right! Firstly for all of us on this forum and those who suffer and are not here, and for my so far hypothetical children.

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    29. streeter1985
      Studious

streeter1985 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss (stress + virus activation)
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      MPP BOOST DECIBEL-TX'S STOCKS!

• Agree Agree x 3