Decided to Make an Account

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Yoshi, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      Hey guys. I got tinnitus in June 2015 while I was listening to music on my earphones. I noticed everything completed sounded off all of a sudden and a TV static sound appeared in my room and decided to stop listening to music.

When it didn't go away I became despondent and frantically searched online for an answer to what this was, at the time I did not even know what tinnitus was. I was reassured when a lot of people said it would probably disappear within a few days to a week, that made me feel greatly relieved.

When it didn't disappear after a week, I thought there was still a chance it would disappear after a month.

When a month past and the noise in my head had not disappeared I just gave in to my anxiety and unhappiness, asking why it had to be me, how it could happen when I always listened to music at a very low volume, avoided loud noises and so on.

It's been a trying time since then, but thankfully my tinnitus no longer prevents me from enjoying my life, and I will always remember how I went back to TinnitusTalk whenever I was feeling down and reading over posts members with severe tinnitus made encouraging others with even minor tinnitus. I cannot emphasize how moving and touching it is to see people to go out of their way to encourage other strangers even when they are in a bad place themselves.

I hope to come to know more about the people on this site, and not just their tinnitus and other afflictions, but also the bigger, beautiful, and more wonderful things that animate their lives.

Thanks to everyone on TT, I would be in a worse place now without your words of encouragement.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Welcome to TT. Did your tinnitus subside over time or did you habituate?

3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Welcome to this great forum :)

Your attitude is great and keep it that way! Your tinnitus is at the beginning stages and you have that static/low hiss tone. Mine started like that too, but I abused my ears with louder music and places and now its VERY loud and not maskable. Do protect your ears and avoid loud places/people and try to reduce your stress/anxiety.

Enjoy your life, you live once :)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      I really can't tell the difference. Sorry if that sounds like a flippant answer, but when it first started for me, it basically dominated my thoughts everyday, my attention span severely decreased (couldn't read a book because I couldn't stop thinking about the noise), thought about how I would have to live with this for the rest of my life, how plenty of other people are going about their lives tinnitus-free, and how I could have done something differently to prevent it. I didn't believe the people on this forum who said you could get used to this or "habituate" with time. After feeling like this for a year I just accepted that this was now a part of my life and stopped doing things that would trigger my anxiety like searching up articles about tinnitus when I was clearly focused on something else, forcing myself to get out more, and if I had the urge to read about tinnitus, to only focus on the positive messages. After another year I feel like my tinnitus isn't really intrusive anymore. I'd like to think I habituated, but it could very well be that it simply decreased. In either case time was the answer.

Thanks for welcoming me here, friend. If my tinnitus permanently spikes, and there's a decent chance it could given how capricious life is sometimes, I'll be buying us both drinks so we can laugh about it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It's on! I'm down for some drinks and pretty women...always!!! Tinnitus or not!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1