Deganwy Man James Ivor Jones Jumped to His Death After Being Told There Was No Cure for His Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Atlantis, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Michael apology accepted.
      I have been suffering with tinnitus for much longer than you and it breaks my heart when I see comments downplaying our struggles.
      This is the very reason that many of those who need help and support no longer post or come here, they feel ridiculed, weak, unwilling to get better.....
      I hate when people start comparing T with MS, cancer, whatever.....
      The bottom line is not every cancer kills, not every person with MS ends up wheelchair bound, not every T is horrible.... There are various levels for every disease out there and just because one person has it mild doesn't mean that's the standard for everyone.
      All I'm asking is for people to be little bit more understanding and consider others, this poor man didn't take his own life because of mild tinnitus.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Atlantis wrote:
      Nobody seems to have missed you! Go back to living in your little fantasy world.

This is real life! We should all go out and scream how tinnitus kills people.

Seems the only person living in a fantasy world is you.

If that's your plan then good luck to you but if you think scaring the most vulnerable by telling them tinnitus kills people then you need a wake up call.

3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Go bury your head in the sand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      I joined this forum so I could find out the latest information on tinnitus treatment and research, not to be scared by stories of people killing themselves because of tinnitus.

But as much as I hate reading these stories, they are invaluable towards raising awareness of this dreadful condition to GPs and other doctors and healthcare professionals, who currently are many who do not know how to talk to people like us and how to help us. I am satisfied that doctors are less apathetic towards tinnitus patients than they were ten years ago, but at the moment there is still a lot of room for improvement.

5. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Fuzzy Freddy wrote:
      But as much as I hate reading these stories, they are invaluable towards raising awareness of this dreadful condition to GPs and other doctors and healthcare professionals, who currently are many who do not know how to talk to people like us and how to help us. I am satisfied that doctors are less apathetic towards tinnitus patients than they were ten years ago, but at the moment there is still a lot of room for improvement.

I strongly doubt that this or similar stories has the slightest effect on tinnitus research. If I'm not mistaken the tinnitus associations are a shadow of their former self, the BTA to my knowledge now does not fund research, the ATA has lost a great many members and runs on the smell of an oil rag. The Canadian Tinnitus Association I'm not sure if it still exists and the Australian Tinnitus Association was going to fold.

What drives research is the intent to make money by big pharma or whatever, it has little to do with people committing suicide. The tragedy is that this man killed himself for nothing because even loud chronic distressing tinnitus is treatable or we habituate over time to a point where it doesn't bother us or rarely bothers us.

These stories do nothing other than scare the living daylights out of people who recently acquired tinnitus and are in the panic stages. Many years back when I was in the grip of depression I found a depression forum where they talked about how, when and where. It scared the shit out of me and made me even more depressed so I got the hell out of there. Now some here can tell me to rack off or whatever, it makes little difference to me what they think. I went through hell with tinnitus and other shit to get where I am today and I know exactly what the outcome will be for those who find the way forward.

There might be lots of hard times full of shit and sorrow in your life, tinnitus is only one of them and by far not the worst thing that can happen to you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A very sad story. Tinnitus can be a very debilitating condition when it is severe and intrusive. It is so important to protect your hearing if you have tinnitus so hopefully it doesn't become worse...

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When tinnitus is severe and intrusive, it is comparable to any other serious illness, simply because of what it's able to do to a person's state of mind, as we have seen what's happened to this unfortunate gentleman. Anyone that disagrees with this hasn't got a clue what loud intrusive tinnitus is like and how it can affect one's daily wellbeing. I know, because I was medically retired from my job because of it. Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Can you show some sort of evidence to back this? Or are you just talking smack? Could you please back up your post? Either that, or maybe do the responsible thing and state that it's just your opinion? There is enough BS floating around in the tinnitus community without you coming here and stating personal opinions like they are facts. Thx

• Agree Agree x 6