Dental Work Coming Up... (Last Time Was Disastrous!)

Discussion in 'Support' started by NimQ, Nov 3, 2017.

1. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      What happened before (thread)
      So, I've been hoping it would be a long time before I'd need any dental work. This is because last time (6-7 months ago) it was devastating. They needed to remove this big faulty filling between my upper teeth and replace it. It took over an hour and there was tons of very noisy drilling. I asked the dentist to take pauses, but he didn't care; just kept on drilling. As a result I left the appointment with ultra high freq dental drill in my head: a pure nightmare for 2 weeks, until I took a steroid course.

What's going on now
      Today I noticed pain in my upper teeth. And guess where it is at? The same gap/filling area that was reconstructed last time! Can't believe it - could they have once more messed up the filling? And if so, that would mean that I'd need to go through the same horrible operation again. I have no idea how to prevent acoustic trauma from happening again, there is just too much loud drilling. The dental drill tinnitus I had was infernal, it was literally like the drill kept on going in my head echoing there. That is why I took the steroids - except this time I can't do that either, since it seemed to trigger stomach problems I am still dealing with. So I have no backup!

If they need to drill, what can I do so that I don't get the dental drill T again? I can only think of laser drill and stocking up NAC/magnesium/vitamins. Would laser drill be quiet and can it be used if the old filling (plastic) needs to be removed? I can tell the dentist the rule of "5 seconds drilling and 10 seconds pause", but after last time it is very hard to trust this. I don't think these preventive measures will be enough - I did take NAC/magnesium/vitamins last time and it did not help. I feel like I am doomed no matter what. That I will get the abysmal dental drill in my head again and this time I can't escape it with steroids. Isn't that probable, though? Since that is how my T reacted last time.

2. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Maybe find a more understanding dentist and see what they can suggest. My dentist knows I have tinnitus and he is considerate. I've not had to have drilling done yet, since last 7 years of tinnitus but inevitably I will at some point. I understand your anxiety.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I had a filling on Wednesday and it didn't change my T at all. I have to go back for one more on the 14th but this one is smaller so not as much drilling. I didn't find the drill to be very loud, but the pitch of it sure was annoying.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I wish I actually had gotten the idea of looking for a suitable, accustoming dentist when there was no problem. Now there's no time for asking around, since dentists are all booked and just need to take an appointment for someone, who is available soon. Oh well, just have to wish this one's more understanding.

I actually booked time for a clinic that uses laser, for Monday afternoon. Since it's Friday evening and weekend coming up, there was no phone service and had to book online - meaning I had no chance to tell I need an extended appointment (because of the need for pauses). I suppose it's possible to just assess the situation on Monday and then if the time slot is tight, re-schedule the possible filling so that there is no hurry.

Question about dental laser: those who've had laser treatment, was it quieter than a regular drill? If so, how much quieter? Would you feel like it's a better choice for someone, whose T gets aggravated by loud noises? Was it faster than if done by a regular drill? Also... I'm confused whether (plastic) fillings can be operated with laser?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I wish my last experience was just that, since if it was, I wouldn't have to be afraid of this situation. How long did they work on your filling, approximately? When I went for the filling in April I thought it would not change my T, since that seems usual. I think the extent of the work was the problem. Not sure how a filling between teeth can be such a big operation, but as said, it took over an hour and felt like there was just constant drilling.

So if this filling is such a problematic case and is acting up once again (only ~6 months after it was supposedly fixed!), I'm not confident it will go very smoothly. I don't understand how two different dentists (two different places also) could fail at a simple filling and I would need it done 3rd time in a short time. Oh well.

6. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @NimQ
      I completely understand your anxiety.
      I've had 3 amalgam and 1 ceramic filling removed over the last 3 months.
      One of these was particularly big.
      Firstly, I had an understanding dentist who used the quietest drill on the lowest setting.
      They used the laser when they could (but had to use the conventional drill to remove the fillings as it cannot be done with the laser).
      I am fine, my tinnitus is unchanged.
      Try not to worry until you find out what is going on and what needs to be done.
      Good luck.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you for such a kind reply @Samantha R. When they used laser, did you perceive it as a safe/quiet sound? And if you compare it to normal drill (usually vs. lowest setting), how much quieter? And one more question: the big filling you had re-done, how long did it take? I still feel like my former session of over 1 hour seemed overly long for a filling. Also will have to ask to use a quiet drill, hopefully it will be possible.

I am trying to distract myself from worrying, as it will only do me harm. Indeed, I don't yet know whether anything big needs to be done. I guess the last time and its aftermath were quite traumatic and kind of triggered a huge wave of anxiety and worry. No wonder, though, since echoing dental drill in the head was horrendous - I could hear it on top of everything.

8. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      An hour of drilling ?? Oh wow that is quite alot. The whole appointment lasted about 25 minutes and i would guess the drill was used for around 90 seconds , not in one go though. That does seem odd that they cannot get it right, i hope they are not charging you to fix their own mistakes!?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Indeed, my appointment started at 3 PM and they were ready at 4.15 PM or a bit later... Also, what! Only that little of drill usage and even that in portions? I had drilling done for many minutes at a time, I really thought it wouldn't become ready at all. It felt insulting after telling about my T and asking for pauses. I'm really not sure what on earth is going on with this specific filling. They had trouble getting the former filling out etc. The thing is, if this filling is still faulty - then it's the 2nd faulty filling in the same place. And it can't be deliberate, as 1st filling and 2nd filling were done by different companies and different dentists - both places with good reviews, too. Unless the 2nd company told me my filling was faulty and it was not, just to replace it with sloppy work. Getting paranoid now... Shoulda prolly gotten a second opinion, but didn't think it would turn into this sort of mess.

I do remember former fillings being quite a quick operation, but just thought that maybe I viewed them such way because I didn't have such a T issue back then. Other people's experiences are now making me think that I have no idea what is going on and why this same thing keeps giving me issues. I'll have to bring this issue forward on Monday's appointment (again, different company & dentist) and ask what's causing these problems.

10. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Would wearing earplugs help enough?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I wish they could help here. Unfortunately dental work is one of the only occasions where ear protection does nothing. Since they are operating inside of the mouth and drilling teeth (=closely connected to ears), the vibrations and sounds will travel directly via bone conduction. In fact, I assume earplugs may make it worse, as they don't protect from the noises that all come from inside one's mouth, but also add up the occlusion effect. It is caused by bone-conducted sound vibrations reverberating off the object filling the ear canal, therefore making it physically louder. Still not sure if I should use earmuffs though, as this figure shows occlusion effect will happen even with over-the-ear protection.

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah I see! That's tough

13. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      After what you went through last time, it's very understandable that you're so worried about it! Additionally, we both know that sustained anxiety and fear can also cause a spike in our T. But how can you not be very concerned?

The only thing I can think of to write is that you stated that, "I don't yet know whether anything big needs to be done."

So, then there is the real possibility that it won't be as bad as the last time. That the amount of work he needs to perform and time needed might not be as much or as long. Try to repeatedly remind yourself of this fact.

Don't continue to presume that it will be as bad as the last time. There's a good chance that it won't be.

That said, after what you wrote, "I asked the dentist to take pauses, but he didn't care; just kept on drilling." I think you should find a new dentist for your future needs. That's what I would do if I had one like him. There's absolutely no excuse for his lack of compassion and concern for you!

Good Luck! Let us know how you are doing after you have the work done.

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @NimQ
      Yes, I perceive the laser to be a safe sound.
      My big filling did take over an hour too, I wonder why, but I guess it's a dentist thing! A lot of drilling too, but it wasn't all at once. Sometimes he got carried away and forgot to stop, so I would just raise my left hand as instructed and he'd stop.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My dentist used a laser drill to remove an old filling. I wore Peltor muffs, and it didn't sound too loud. Unfortunately, some drilling is required using a non-laser drill to shape the new filling. You can try finding a dentist who owns an electric-powered (as opposed to the older traditional air-powered) drill. Those newer drills are said to be quieter. You can also try to offer to pay for the extra time that your procedure will take as a result of the dentist taking your tinnitus into account. Then the dentist will be more likely to pause every 5 seconds.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @jimH - thank you for your compassionate message. I guess one of the worst things in this situation is that I - alone - need to make the final decisions and strategies to prevent dire consequences. So it's like preparing for a battle, or feels like it. But you are right, assuming the worst will only make my nervous system more susceptible to aggravation. Besides, I've decided I can use tomorrow's appointment mainly as a consultation - if there is nothing acute that needs to be done asap, we can just assess the situation and create a plan that will fit my special requirements. If that's not possible, then may as well just go to some place else. Rather pay for multiple visits than have anything done hurried... I've never visited this particular dentist before, so hopefully she will be accommodating to patient's needs.

@Samantha R - good to know that laser sound is indeed quieter. And I'll keep in mind suggesting this "raise hand to stop drilling" signal, as it is indeed impossible to say anything with mouth full of dental tools...

@Bill Bauer - Do you feel like the muffs made it even quieter? Just thinking about occlusion effect and whether sound is 99 % coming from bone conduction, in which case muffs may have more cons than pros. How much regular drilling would you say there was for the shaping? It's an useful tip to request for electric-powered drill, I'll write that into my checklist and ask about it tomorrow. I'm also suggesting to pay for the extra time - for example not do any operations tomorrow and maybe book a double-time etc.

I am really hoping tomorrow it will just turn out my gum is irritated or something, since the pain is mild and been going back & forth. I'd be so grateful and relieved. Even if this is the case, I think it's important to have a dental contact who is aware of my situation and who I can count on to work with me accordingly. It's easier to do before there is something urgent, like I now realized. Wishing to meet an emphatic and professional dentist, who understands the work is about patients (and some with different kinds of health problems).

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I remember taking the muffs off towards the end of the procedure and not noticing a big difference. I still put them back on. Back then I didn't know that occlusion effect made things Louder.
      About 2 minutes of regular drilling. It is not much. My dentist would not stop drilling even after I would raise my arm. He must have forgotten about the $300 I paid for the extra time. In any case, I was ok afterwards. Once you find out that your doctor can use a laser for your situation, chances are that you will be ok.
      They are common in Europe, but not as common in North America... Then again, the dentist who owns a laser has a reasonable chance of having one.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good luck @NimQ.
      I was stressed too but everything worked out fine.
      Let us now how you go.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Good luck NimQ, been in your shoes.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      let us know how your appt goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you guys for the support, made me feel much better. Really appreciate it! :love: Will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Soooo... sure seems like the support was/is needed. I'm kind of in shock, since I expected the absolutely worst case scenario would be replacement of that one tricky filling. That was like the ultimate nightmare. But I guess I didn't imagine big enough.

Turns out there are FOUR new places that would need a filling. So four operations I would need to endure without getting my T worse. And not just that: when the dentist took x-rays, turns out the disastrous filling looks faulty. What the...?! And there's another filling which seems off, as well. Therefore, instead of one big operation I was fearing so much, there's prolly gonna be TWO big replacements and then 4 new fillings on top of that. And she said laser can't be used on plastic, so for me this just means my ears are going to get ruined and this time I won't be able to use steroids to save me.

I'm just crying now that I got home, I don't know why this needed to happen now - I've been through a lot of pressure and mental breakdowns lately (a lot of bad/stressful things going on), so this is the last thing I need. I'm a total wreck. I really just don't understand... My last dental check-up was less than a year ago in public health sector and there was nothing wrong! What is happening?

I'm also paranoid, like are these private clinics just too eager to fix things? Should I get second opinion - can't get a neutral one though, as for public health dental services it would take like a three months of queue. I'm also stressing a lot about money, as that laser clinic I visited today is very expensive. 160 € just for the 30 min consultation without dental work (and extended time slot I'd need for those). As I see it, after all this is over I'm going to be totally broke and as my T could not take ONE operation before, it sure as hell is not going to be able to take 6 (4 new/2 replacements). I feel like I'm just done: just too disappointed and scared to have any positive attitude left in me right now.

• Hug Hug x 4
    23. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @NimQ As we all said to you either here or in conversation is to have drilling done on and off. Stay relaxed in chair and relax your neck and shoulders. Consider having the worse tooth done first and a separate appointment for each other tooth. :cat:

• Like Like x 1
    24. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You will pull through it. Maybe consider meds for anxiety and sleep short term whilst you have the treatment. And know things will improve with time even if it causes an increase in T to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sorry you are having a rough time. Believe it or not you will get through through this. Take it one step at a time. I speak from experience, I have 10 implants!!!! Yes 10 in as many years. Poor dental care as a child. I have had root canals, crowns you name it. I have great dentist who understands my needs and goes slowly.
      I panic too with anything that will cause a spike..can you take anything to help with the stress and anxiety. Btw I considered having dentures to avoid the work but took it slowly. Dental bills $$$$$$$$. Take care you can do this.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hey everyone. Thank you @Greg Sacramento, @Tweaker and @Leah for your messages. I've been feeling very depressed since "the verdict", but it has helped to receive kind words.

Just a moment ago things took an unexpected turn, once more.:eek: Since those six procedures could have serious consequences, I went for a 2nd opinion today for another private clinic. However, this dentist told me that he doesn't see a reason for urgent dental work. Say what?! He said there are two types of approaches: some do fillings as early as possible and some wait out, since shallow caries (=haven't penetrated the enamel) can still come to a halt. He said the initial cavities do not reach the dentin and he would just check them frequently. AND those fillings the 1st dentist wanted to replace: he said there is indeed a peculiar shadow near to those fillings, but that it prolly comes from those teeth being "slightly crooked" because of my bruxism. He also pointed out that some other teeth - without filling - in the same area have similar shadow, which would indicate that it is not a faulty filling, but rather an imaging distortion.

I'm just confused, unbelieving and relieved at the same time. I think at least the chances are that A) I won't need as many procedures as predicted and B) I don't need them done right now. Which is just more than I could ask for. I am carefully optimistic, but there is still some weird pain in my teeth (maybe comes from teeth grinding?) and I have two opposing opinions. So I have no way to know whether dentist No1 was right about 6 procedures or if dentist No2 is right about nothing but check-ups. I'm thinking I'll queue for public health care now and try to get a 3rd and the most neutral opinion. Already booked appointment and going there in the end of this month. I guess I'll get confirmation then - one side or another (or something in-between).

Long story short, always get a 2nd opinion, people! Especially if something major needs to be done, there are multiple procedures or if you want to make absolutely sure they are needed. I would have had my first operation tomorrow, but now in the light of the 2nd opinion I canceled it. Hopefully I'm making the right decision! I'm not sure if I'm out of it yet, but at least I can now make 100 % sure what is needed and not risk my T for something avoidable.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I could not agree more on the need for a second opinion when extensive dental work is recommended. Years ago I had a dentist recommend multiple crowns and fillings. The second opinion I received was vastly different and involved significantly less dental work. I went with the second opinion and nearly ten years later I still have yet to need even half of the dental work the first dentist suggested. In some situations, the necessity of dental work can actually be rather subjective.

Hope all goes well with the next opinion for you!

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

Being that their assessment of what should be done is so extremely different, I think a third opinion is a good idea.

That said, can you access "patient reviews" sites for each of them? I know that I did a comparison between two surgeons to help me select which one I would have do the work I needed performed. So, I'm wondering if there's a similar thing available for dentists and oral surgeons?

• Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This message really cheered up my spirits today, as I was preparing to get another doomsday at hand with the 2nd opinion.♥ Really put things in perspective. This might be something I'd be facing in the (hopefully distant) future, as I'm basically destroying my teeth no matter how much I clean 'em or floss. This is because I have relentless night-time bruxism combined with night-time reflux. Both not responding to medical treatment, but trying to control them ofc. So it interests me how you have coped with all those procedures with T? Have they affected it? Does your dentist use laser or other quieter equipment, or are pauses enough? Since you are a real veteran, I think your experience would really help to deal with future dental work - for me and maybe many others, as well.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Tinker Bell - indeed. Good to hear your experience about 2nd opinion saving a lot of trouble. I'm sure you are really happy you went and got it! I really hope that is the case here as well... It's sometimes hard to "stand one's ground", since there is this immense pressure about trusting a professional. Then again, multiple opinions never hurt, I should remember that in the future.

@Jim H - very true. This 2nd dentist underlined that it is a matter of perspective and that there are things that could be done as precautionary measures, but he personally would rather give things chance to heal. So by throwing in a 3rd opinion, hopefully it will clear things up and will have more confidence in things being okay. I have been trying to find patient reviews, but there's nothing. I have no idea why it's so hard to find doctor reviews in my country... I wish there was a proper site for it. The 1st dentist is a recognized pioneer/researcher in laser dentistry, so that's why I chose her in the first place. However, it was hard communicating with her about these procedures that would need to be done (a lot remained unclear), while the 2nd one really took me through the examination and x-rays, explaining in detail what, where and why.