Dentist Work Made Tinnitus Much Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Robert Leffler, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Robert Leffler

Robert Leffler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      106 F Feaver
      I have had Tinnitus since I was 16 (67 now) and lived with it easily at a steady level of 2 most of my life. In early January 2018, things changed for the worse. I had crown work done on a tooth (very near a sinus canal) and the vibration was horrible and went into my ears and brain. Two days later, the tinnitus ramped up to a 7 (unbearable) and has continued on and off at that level for 2 months! I'm going crazy it's so intense and piercing. The crown was successful (tooth not fractured or something) but a hearing test shows I have significant hearing loss in both ears since the crown.

I'm seeing a John Hopkins ENT in 4 weeks but I don't know how I am going to live with this. I suspect he will say what other ENTs have told me. Live with it or get 2 $10,000 hearing aids.

The sound my T generates is like dentist's drill on high speed and it's destroying me!

I'm praying this will subside but it's been 2 months and I'm frightened of having any more dental work done. I have never had this sensitivity to tooth work before.

Any thoughts out there?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      I too have T and H from a dental tooth filling.
      Never ever had T or H before that filling.
      Have had it since - now nearly Three years.
      Learning to live with it is the trick but it takes time and I am not there yet.
      I was angry at myself and the dentist at first but then 'parked' those negative thoughts as they don't help or change anything.
      I see you have had T for many years at lower level.
      I hope it subside back to that level for you. It may well do. Some spikes seem to last weeks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      I have bilateral T & H. The T in my right ear became louder when the dentist was overly enthusiastic about a dental filling several years back. It has never went back to baseline and I am not sure if there's a reduction in the level. I still can hear it over certain sounds but it doesn't bother me as much as it did then. I was in absolute panic and despair then. The audio sounds from this site helps a lot in distracting me or calming the ears.

I insist on manual scaling now, and am zealous about dental hygiene in order to avoid any more dental works. I really hope you find your peace soon.

Take care.

4. fran dana
      No Mood

fran dana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      origin unknow.2016 get worse because of work in armament lab
      I believe I am in the gravity of your situation and I am 26 years old. leave me some hope! hehe
      :ROFL:

5. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Did you try medication to make this wprsening go away faster?
      Since you got tinnitus,at 16, did you ever take medication for that?
      Whenever my tinnitus worsened i took Roche Rivotril (the only brand of clonazepam that worked for me and did not give me bad side effects, the only side effect being the sedative one, which is not so bad and it is very helpful when you cannot sleep because of tinnitus) and things retuned to bearable. My tinnitus is fluctuating, i had day in which i wanted to die, and days with low or even zero tinnitus.
      This medicine is not so easy to obtain, though, it is not easy to find in pharmacies and you need a prescription. It is very cheap and very effective with tinnitus, though, and that is what is important. It may be good to take it for a short time, to bring tinnitus back to previous level. It can easily do that. It's a pitty to suffer like this while there is this medicine.

I am sorry that you are suffering so much.

6. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      This will probably sound nuts but helps me and my T also started right after dental work...it makes a good experiment to try anyways. Ground the metal in your dental work with a spare wire to a safe ground. (ie. touch one end of a wire to the metal in the tooth and the other either to earth or a metal faucet or copper water pipe.) To see the effect, put a multimeter on the mV setting and measure the potential difference between the filling and the ground by touching probe to the wire at where it touches the ground and the other probe on your teeth near the metal. Mine measures 700mV when it is bad, on average 200mV, with patience will go down to 50mV, and T becomes less.

• Creative Creative x 1