Depressed Audiophile with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Brad1138, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Brad1138

Brad1138 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much loud music/heredity
      Hello,

I have had tinnitus for over 10 years, but it only recently became so loud in my left ear, that I can no longer ignore it or push it far enough into the background that I can enjoy music. :(

If my mind is sufficiently busy, I can go hours without noticing it, but if I stop and think about it, it is there and most often "screaming" at me.

The longer I can go without thinking about it, the better it is (to some extent), but that is very difficult. And I can not help but think about it if I sit down to listen to music.

Anyway, I am here like the rest of us for some moral support.

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Brad1138.

I am also an an Audiophile and have lived with tinnitus for 25 years. If you don't want your tinnitus to get worse, my advice is not to use any type of headphones even at low volume. Listen to your music at a comfortable level. The type of tinnitus you have is noise induced, which will usually remain stable for many years, providing a person doesn't use headphones, earbuds or headsets, as there's the risk of making the tinnitus worse even at low volume. It also advisable keep away from overly loud sounds.

All the best,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      When I listen to a CD for the first time, I keep a small, inexpensive decibel meter on the table next to me, to monitor the volume of my audio system.

For most pop, rock, jazz, etc. music, the average volume of the music at my chair (as it is louder right at the speaker) is kept between about 64-70 decibels, with the loudest peak passages no more than about 76 dB. Classical music, which is usually not as compressed, is typically kept at a range between about 50 and the high 70's.

After determining the correct volume level I jot it down as a reference, so that I can save time for future listening by knowing what number to dial in on the preamp.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brad1138

Brad1138 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, for years now I generally listen around 70 dB, and I don't use headphones.

I do also keep my trusty Radio Shack dB meter handy. :)

The thing I am (currently) most upset about is this latest increase is my fault. I recently started exercising and eating better. I was feeling great, lost 25 lbs, my ears improved substantially and were actually better than they had been in years. Tinnitus was low enough to most of the time completely ignore while I was listening to music.

Then I got the "bright" idea to watch Bohemian Rhapsody in my Home Theater again, and I got carried away with the volume during the Live Aid concert portion. 15 minutes of probably 90-100 dB and I knew I had really screwed up as soon as it was over... I don't know how long it would have lasted, but I could have had months or years more with the "improved" ears, and I F***** it up. (Sorry, venting a bit.)

I still can listen, sometimes the ringing is less than "normal", but it is still there and so distracting. With time, hopefully I will get better at it.

I am 54 and just hope there is maybe a stem cell treatment before I am too much older...

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Blix M. Paraglot

Blix M. Paraglot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since 90s - serious since 2000s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Larks' Tongues in Aspic, part one
      I am 55 and counting the days for Dr. Shore's device to be commercially available. I've had tinnitus since the 90s. One thing you might consider: since my ears became painfully sensitive and prone to spikes, I now keep a wired volume potentiometer in my lap and am constantly "gain riding" while I am listening. Either music or films, doesn't matter. An analog wired volume knob tracks faster than any remote control, and I can turn it down to zero instantly. I have this in a 50+ year old Marantz integrated amp, plugged into the tape monitor loop. You may need an older amp for such a set up. I also never play anything at more than about 20% of my amp's capacity and never use headphones anymore. (You can find a wired stereo volume pot at any online retailer for under 20 bucks. Search "Universal Car Audio Amplifier Controller Sound Adjuster RCA." I got mine at amazon.)

Also: meditation increases GABA levels and makes tinnitus less of a thing -- and mine is severe. Regular meditation is the only thing that helps me, and it *really* helps.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Brad1138.

As you know the 90-100 dB that you were listening to for 15 minutes caused your tinnitus to increase but from experience, I believe this was coming on for some time and would have eventually happened even if you were listening at lower levels. From what I can see in your profile picture, your surround sound system consists of large speakers and probably capable of generating very low bass. If you also have a separate sub-woofer as a lot of people do, this configuration can be recipe for disaster for anyone that has noise induced tinnitus.

One has to be aware of sound levels especially in a surround sound system, as the sound is reflected off walls, floor and ceiling. In addition to this are low level subterranean bass frequencies, that can easily irritate the auditory system without the listener realizing it. It is something to think about and in future perhaps, adjust the bass not to be too full on or boom, particularly if watching action movies.

For this reason I have a two channel HI-FI system and don't use a sub-woofer. Give it time and your tinnitus will likely improve.

Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brad1138

Brad1138 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, (and thanks all).

I agree that it would have come sooner or later anyway, probably sooner.

My speakers are large, but I don't listen loud, generally 60-70 dBA. And I don't use subs for music listening. (I do have them for home theater).

My tinnitus has improved (and/or I got used to it) a good deal. I can hear it now, and it is somewhat loud, but more often than not I am not noticing it. I can ignore it enough now to really enjoy music again. :)

I learned my lesson and I am keeping movies at a moderate level. Nowhere near the level I listened to Queen at.

Brad

• Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brad1138

Brad1138 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had to google the Dr. Shore device. I'm 54 and that will be a very welcome. :)

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am pleased your tinnitus is improving @Brad1138 and hopefully this will continue. Please keep in mind, with the passing of time, there is a tendency to forget that you have tinnitus. This happens to a lot of people with noise induced tinnitus because they have habituated so well and the brain is able to completely dismiss it. This does not necessarily mean the tinnitus will not be heard, it just means the brain accepts its presence within the auditory system and is not alarmed by it.

Unfortunately here lies the danger. By forgetting you have tinnitus because it's been pushed into the background particularly when listening to music, one can believe all is now well and they can listen at higher volume levels to what they were used to before and once again enjoy those low bass frequencies. This may be okay for a while but it's likely, at some point the tinnitus will spike reminding the person the tinnitus is still there. The spike might reduce but more often than not it may increase the tinnitus to a new permanent level or change the character of the tinnitus completely to variable tinnitus. This type of tinnitus is ruthless and unforgiving.

Sorry to sound so sobering but I don't want what has happened to me and others to happen to you. Therefore, please heed my words and listen to your audio system at comfortable levels and never use any type of headphones even at low volume. Please click on the link below and read the post: Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus?

Take care and I wish you well.

Michael

Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum