Depression and Anxiety About Tinnitus and the MTHFR Genetic Mutation

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 10, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Being familiar with depression and anxiety, I wanted to let you guys know about the MTHFR genetic mutation. I should have mentioned this earlier but it slipped my mind. The MTHFR genetic mutation prevents the body from converting folic acid into l-methylfolate. This l-methylfolate is then converted to amino acids in the body which then go on to affect neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. These neurotransmitters can affect moods such as depression and anxiety so a shortage of l-methylfolate can cause depression and anxiety for those that have the mutation. The MTHFR mutation can be tested by a lab or maybe you can call a doctor to see if they can test it. There are some fairly expensive prescription supplements such as Deplin which I think is a pharmaceutical kind of l-methylfolate but I am not sure the difference between that and the l-methylfolate supplements you can find on places like Amazon which are a lot cheaper. If you are suffering from depression and anxiety and have the resources, I encourage you to get tested for this. It is possible if you have the mutation and take an l-methylfolate supplement, it can help with depression and anxiety. I may not be explaining everything precisely so I am including a link to an article where you can learn more about it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...ic-mutation-can-affect-mental-physical-health

Note: Maybe this might even have a positive affect on your tinnitus as a bonus but of course I can't guarantee anything. I would say though it probably would have more of an effect on depression and anxiety issues but only God knows.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      JasonP did you had any positive effect of this supplementation on T ?, I didn't do the test yet, but I have B6 toxicity and it seems that I can't eliminate this vitamin correctly so I'm almost sure I have this mutation too, but will need to do the test to be sure.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I never did the test because of the expense involved and I had some other supplements I was trying at the time....I'm trying to "hone in" on what causes what and the problem is when I add more in, it gets more complicated. If had more money I would probably get more tests done. I found a place that does a lot of testing and there is other places that can do some tests like these:

https://www.anylabtestnow.com/test-finder/test-all-lab/

• Helpful Helpful x 1