Developed Anxiety, Insomnia and High Blood Pressure After the Onset of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rogerde2018, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Rogerde2018
      Alone

Rogerde2018 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Etd
      Hello Everyone,

All my life I have had my blood pressure around 90/60.

After 7 months since I got tinnitus I developed anxiety and insomnia and also my blood pressure sky rocketed to 140/90.

I was wondering if anybody had a similar situation.

I decided to go on and extreme diet going super healthy. I was wondering if medicine for high blood pressure is a good thing for tinnitus suffers?

Also I wanted to know if exercise is a good idea.

Thank you for the feedback.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I would think that 90/60 blood pressure is too low, but if you felt OK then I guess it's fine.

Exercise is highly recommended by doctors as a means of reducing blood pressure. Ir doesn't have to be anything more than walking for an hour or two, 4 or 5 days a week.

I don't think that blood pressure meds affect tinnitus, in most people. I took them for a number of years, even before tinnitus, but lately my BP has been stable without them.

Do you have a BP monitor?

3. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Unless you want to speed up your exit from this mortal coil, I'd take the BP medicine.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rogerde2018
      Alone

Rogerde2018 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Etd
      I check my BP on a daily bases. Thank you for the feedback I will get some bp medicine

5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have tinnitus & hypertension. I'm prescribed medication and it's under control as long as I take it. This is despite the fact that I'm otherwise healthy being a distance runner & vegetarian. I've taken myself off the medication a few times to see if it had any affect in my tinnitus and it did not. I suggest following your doctor's orders when it comes to medication but have him first check to see if it's ototoxic.
      Mike

6. TWK

TWK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I'm in the same boat. While I was taking Telmisartan to keep my blood pressure in check, I was experiencing vestibular issues (vertigo, unsteadiness), and then I developed an ear infection - boom - extreme tinnitus, along with insomnia and anxiety. I had to discontinue the Telmisartan because I then had ear pain, and paradoxically, higher blood pressure while taking it.
      I've since been without BP meds. Forward on 18 months... I still have tinnitus, still have insomnia, and now my blood pressure has been regularly spiking to 170/100+.
      I'll have to go back onto some BP med, but I feel like I've run out of options. The ARBs increase my tinnitus and give me ear pain, the ACE inhibitors make me feel literally like death, calcium channel blockers increase my tinnitus and give me brady cardia (I already have a low resting heart rate from being athletic), diuretics are know to cause tinnitus.
      Alpha and beta blockers are scary as heck...

What are my options???

7. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      My BP is normally 115/65 but I have noticed it goes up sometimes on days when my tinnitus is bad - it normally tends to go back down in the evening - I did speak to my doctor and he checked my BP at 124/84 and just said some people get elevated BP when they have anxiety but the 'resting' BP is the important one - I normally take readings on waking up, after breakfast, after supper and last thing at night using an Omron M3 home tester.