Developed Hyperacusis 1 Week Ago

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marko Nakovski, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      yes that's the reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Absolutely, this. Delayed spikes for both T and H are really common. In my opinion, delayed spikes are more serious, long lasting, and potentially permanent.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Red Yes I got my tinnitus after 5 days. Why do you think that delayed hyperacusis is more long lasting then early hyperacusis after trauma ?

4. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anecdotal discussion here on the forum. But I don't actually have proof.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Red Maybe its true, who knows. I hope this will not happen in my case beacuse hyperacusis is very hard to handle. I saw that lot of people improve over some time, some of them improve dramatic to the point they dont even have hyperacusis anymore and some just a little bit . I hope Im not lost case :blackeye:

6. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same here. I have been very depressed lately because of hyperacusis worsening. I was inproving a little but got a setback thanks to car horn. From now on I'm going to wear ear protection in parking lots.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Wow you have worsening from car horn ? It was very close distance ? Beacuse as far as I know these kind of sounds are not so loud. I mean we perceive them like loud but they are not considered to be loud. How much time do you have hyperacusis ?

8. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I just dont understand why somewone would go shooting or go to a nightclub knowing how bad this shit can get. I did a stupid ear test which resulted in inner hair cell damage even though it lasted 1 minute.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @dpdx,

I was going out in nightclubs but I always was away from speakers and wearing earplugs.

I didn't go that often, I usually was going out to bars and restaurants. I'm only 28 years old and I still need to party and have fun. After all these events I didn't have any more problems. However, shooting range was another level of my ignorance. I was in good form with my tinnitus at keeping it mild but I relaxed myself too much and got overconfident. I never had hyperacusis or hearing loss before. Now I'm paying the price for that and I will not go out in loud places such as nightclubs and bars. As far as I remember you told us that you your hyperacusis returned again after you was in restaurant with 90-95 dB, not ear test? Or the ear test was your first acoustic trauma?

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Not so loud? Car horns are some of the worst sounds to handle. Really loud and high pitch. It is exactly the kind of impulse noise that can make hyperacusis worsen and people lose hearing too.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Juan I agree with you that car horns are very hard to handle when you have hyperacusis. I can't tolerate them either. Especially horns from trucks or buses. However I don't agree with you that people can lose hearing from a single car horn.

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I accidentally hit the panic button on mine and froze up instead of shutting it off right away. I tested the noise level with several decibel meters when I got home and it was between 110db and 115db with the meter right next to the vehicle. I then looked up the manufacturer of the car horn and sure enough it was listed as a loud 115db horn. Although, that's standing within a couple feet of the horn, it would be much less if you're in another vehicle with the windows up.

People that put train horns on their trucks are much worse. Those absolutely can cause hearing loss.

13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had a trauma from a concert then another trauma from a ear test (caloric test which is like ear syringing and another very loud ear test). 3-4 days after that my T went from mild to severe and I developed severe hyperacusis on both ears, turning pages of the book would hurt my ears, people coughing, sneezing, etc. It got better and the hyperacusis went down to moderate but after spending 1 hour in a resturant it came back again. I am also dealing with very bad tinnitus since January 18, 2018, that didnt get better sadly and from what I can tell its permanent. The ear tests damaged my inner hair cells and a few outer hair cells. Please be careful while exposing yourself to loud stimuli or you will have permanent T and H. In a month or so it will be 1 year with Severe T and H for me. Once again please be careful our ears are prone to more damage now.

14. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 year of mild H, 3 months of current H. My ear pain is mild still but my face becomes a furnace in response to noise. Especially, noise from speakers. If I could tolerate speaker sounds I would not be depressed.

Edit: I was 20-40 feet from it but it was a full on car horn, like the kind people blare out when they are about to be hit by another car. My T spike is gone. Ear pain did improve to not being caused by home sounds, facial pain hasn't improved.

15. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I HATE CAR HORNS. I was walking yesterday next to a busy road (AGAIN), the cars passing by, the noise felt so uncomfy to my ears. I turned around and went home and cried. Heavy feeling.

16. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey D, don't you have a park nearby you can visit? It's not as good at masking the T but I always feel safe at the park and the natural sounds feel like good therapy for my H.

17. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
    18. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I had tinnitus 3 or 4 weeks before H started, so yes, the hyperacusis is probably because of the shooting.

19. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting. People are saying their H came some weeks after their T. For me, H came first then T a week later. H came on instantly the first time.

20. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My Audiologist says T and H dont happen 5-7 days later but ASAP. Delays mean more hidden ear disease according to him.

21. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      One word = BS!

Another clueless ENT.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You don't honestly still believe that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well most of them are stupid af.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He says Acoustic Trauma CANT BE UNILATERAL but BILATERAL.
      And it happens ASAP. T cant start 10 days out, that means acoustic neuroma or some other disease (hidden).

25. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For me H came immediately after my initial acoustic trauma, T came 3 days later. I didn't even know what hyperacusis was, I just knew something felt very wrong with my hearing but the urgent care doc brushed me off because the audiogram came back just fine.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hey guys I wanted to ask something but I didn't want to make new thread especially for my case and I decided to write it here. I was already taking many vitamins even before I developed hyperacusis.

Now after I developed hyperacusis I started taking some meds along with the vitamins and I'm considering to add even more but I'm afraid if too much pills at the same time can give me some harsh side effects.

Currently I'm taking vitamins (Serc 2x24mg, 5-HTP 100mg, Ginkgo Biloba 120 mg, ozone pills) and I wanted to add Turmeric 600mg + Ashawagandha 1200mg + N-acetyl-cysteine 1200 mg at the same time.

Do you think this is too much to take? I'm doing this because I can't stand my hyperacusis anymore and I'm willing to try anything just to improve my situation.

27. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You have damaged your hearing further, so I guess the best thing is to wait it out. One thing you need to realize is that people with Noise induced hearing damage are very prone to further damage, we are very fragile and at huge risk for more permanent/irreversible damage. I am still struggling with Severe T and Severe H, even though next month will mark a year since I did the ear tests. Please be careful you ears are damaged and you have to take care of them. I have Severe T which nothing can mask it but the shower. I can hear it over my voice, tv, cars outside on the road, etc. Once again please be careful you dont know how bad this shit can get and no one will help you. ENTs will laugh in your face and will try to make it worse so they can sell hearing aids.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @dpdx Yes you are right, we must protect ourselves. I didn't go to some loud event or place after I developed my hyperacusis. I'm sorry to hear that your situation didn't improve. I really hope you will get better as soon as possible. I'm taking your advice and I will never ever go to loud places like loud restaurant, bar, nightclub, cinema etc. My friends asked me to celebrate the new year with them but I refuse to go, no way. My earplugs are always in my pocket and are available anytime in case some loud sounds appear out of nowhere while I'm walking on the street.

I was thinking that maybe I can have some improvement from these pills because I saw so many threads about different kind of med and vitamins where people shared their positive experience.

ENTs don't have clue about hyperacusis at all. I have been told I should take vitamin magnesium and that everything will be fine lol, what a joke ...

29. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I Developed Hyperacusis a week after the ear tests (January 15, 2018), almost one year with Severe H and T :p

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Lex Hey there I noticed some strange symptoms with my hyperacusis and I remember what you told me about the following

"Sudden noises make me startle a lot so when it’s dead quiet at night, I put on white noise on a really low volume a few feet away from me. The white noise serves like a cushion against sudden noises. One of the symptoms or hyperacusis is collapsed dynamic range, which I have. This means my ears can’t cope with big changes in volume in an environment. For example, if I’m in a quiet room and someone sneezes, I’d jump out of my seat. But if I’m in a room with background noise and someone sneezes, I wouldn’t be as startled because the change in volume isn’t as big."​

This is exactly what is happening to me. If I talk with people or if there is some noise from the background in my room then some other sound outside my room (car horn, dog barking or whatever loud on the street or another room) doesn't cause me any problem. But if I stay in a quiet room and if there's some car horn on the street my body get stressed instantly at the same moment. It's like reacting to these sounds coming from outside. I live at 4th floor in a flat and these sounds are far away from me, I really can't understand this ... And also some other sounds from another room are stressing me out. Sometimes happens even in the same room :/ The weird part in this situation is that in my first days with Hyperacusis I didn't have this problem, it's happening in the last few weeks (I have had hyperacusis for 2 months and 1 week by now).

Did you have this symptom right after your onset with hyperacusis or did you notice it after some time?