Developed Tinnitus After a Viral Cold: It's Driving Me Mad

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Owen121, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Owen121

Owen121 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey,

A little background: Back in August I developed some sort of cold virus, since then I have been experiencing tinnitus.

I find it so annoying at times and it is driving me crazy, especially at night when trying to sleep. I have been to the GP around 3 times regarding this issue and all they are saying is that my eardrum looks a little dull. Last time I went to the GP was in October.

I also visited an audiologist who did a hearing test and it came back perfect.

I am debating if I should see an ENT to see if they can find a cause for it.

What I'm experiencing is a cracking noise everytime I move my jaw. Also, if I take a deep breath, pinch my nose, then try to breathe through my nose my left ear makes a really loud clicking nose all the time? Is that normal?

Also the same ear is making a squeaking everytime I move my jaw as well.

I also find that my tinnitus gets louder if I move my jaw into a certain position.

I'm not sure if it could be Eustachian tube related? To this day from August, my nose still seems congested, lots of gunk coming out when I blow etc.

I have never experienced tinnitus like this, I'm 21. I have had the common cold so many times during the past and yes I've had tinnitus before, but it has always gone away as the cold virus passes.

Any suggestions? I've tried everything from a sinus inhaler, taking decongestants, eating plenty of fruits and veggies and getting a good amount of exercise yet nothing is making a difference.

If I did visit an ENT, I would be paying for it out of pocket, so I just want to know if it's worth it.

Thanks.

• Genius Genius x 1
    2. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hello,

There is no special need to go an ENT to find the cause in my opinion, your viral cold (which might have been COVID-19 or not) is the cause of your tinnitus. Both normal colds and COVID-19 can result in hearing loss/hearing damage that might not be noticeable to you, but still be enough to cause tinnitus.

That being said, jaw issues can contribute to tinnitus. If you have a lot of cracking, you might want to investigate if you have temporomandibular joint issues. I'm not sure who's the right doctor for this, though I've heard a dentist should know about this issue. Being able to modulate your tinnitus with jaw movements though does not have to mean that you have jaw issues that might contribute to tinnitus. Many people can modulate their tinnitus with jaw movements.

I would also advice against breathing through a pinched nose if you meet a lot of resistance. That's like using a motorsaw to open an old wardrobe that doesn't open that easily anymore. It might end messy. As for the stuffy nose, I can't really say anything.

How loud is your tinnitus? Do you hear it in the shower? Any other situations where you can't hear it because other noises cover it up?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Owen121

Owen121 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey,

I was also thinking if it was COVID-19. I did have the test but it came back negative.

My tinnitus is a lot more noticeable at night but I can hear it throughout the day in the background. I feel that it is coming from one ear only but can’t be sure. I feel congested. My GP didn’t think I need to be referred to an ENT either.

I do feel stressed at the moment as well, so maybe that is not helping. I feel as if I’m getting into a very dark place.

Sometimes I get pain from behind the ear but it comes and goes.

It’s been like 5 months now and it’s not getting any easier.

Many thanks for your reply though, appreciate it.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. From your description, it seems you have somatic tinnitus, meaning moving body parts or position can change the ringing. The cracking nature of it may suggest TMJ or TTTS. You may want post your condition again on the main support forum as there are more readership there. Perhaps someone can help advise you. Take good care. God bless.